I'm in need of a solid backup method

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
EssexStadir

I'm in need of a solid backup method

Post by EssexStadir » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am

I hope this is the place for this post. I did some searching around and wasn't really satisfied with all of the info I was reading.

Firstly, I'm using Ableton Live 10 Suite on a Windows 10 system.
I don't know much about all the various backup methods.
What I DO know is this: I want something that will return my computer (or another computer if a catastrophic loss occurs) to its "normal" state. "Normal" meaning, I want to fire up my pc, Ableton, and have all of my tracks, plugins, samples, etc, etc where they should be (or where they were at the time of the backup).
I don't want to fiddle with folders, missing samples, unknown locations, etc.

I'm not sure if a backup using an external storage device is best, or if I should get some kind of cloud service that backs up everything.
It's probably important to note that I have weak internet (I live rurally). My download speeds are only like 22 mb/s and upload speeds are much slower.

I'm unsure if Windows 10 already has something that does what I need it to. Whatever the method is, it would help to know the procedure for doing so. My goal is obviously to recover EVERYTHING in the event of a crash (or hardware loss due to a fire or tornado).

Thanks in advance. I know I've got a pretty specific demand but I imagine most people are in the same boat. I feel like it's not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN a catastrophic loss/crash will happen.

Nick

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: I'm in need of a solid backup method

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 pm

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (I'm sure there's an equivalent for Win) and it's perfect. If your system drive (or any other drive, actually) dies, simply change it and use the latest clone stored on your Clone drive (you can also use this clone drive - the clones are bootable). I had to do this several times, it's a matter of a few hours, and works perfectly.

Online backup...myeah (it used it for a year). The day you need it it'll take days/weeks to download your stuff back (and it takes weeks to upload), and you're not even sure things have been uploaded correctly.
Ableton Forum Moderator

EssexStadir

Post by EssexStadir » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:02 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely look into that.
My internet service is far too slow to deal with a cloud backup so this is definitely a better option.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Acronis

Look that up for windows. Can make a snapshot of your drive and restore to a new one easily. I use it to make OS backups but I also have a server that backs up all my systems to it and then use Backblaze to backup my server online. No single backup solution is bulletproof but several combined is pretty reliable