A little help with Blackstar Livelogic controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dougtheguy

A little help with Blackstar Livelogic controller

Post by dougtheguy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:12 pm

This thread is about the features of this controller as it pertains to Ableton. I don’t think it’s necessary to go over the included software as it’s pretty much what you’d expect from any other controller. I just purchased this item. The manual states that “there is special functionality for Ableton as described below”. There is no below in the manual, there is no description on their web site. There is no support line that I can see and their forum is down. Anyway enough bitching. So far...

Install the firmware upgrade for the “special” functionality.

- six button
- two expression pedals
Session view
- The display shows the beat numbers, tempo
- clicking once on button 1 to 6 will
— start recording in that cell
— stop recording and play that cell
— open or close a group
- clicking twice will
— delete the current cell
— delete the previous cell
- click hold
— start or stop the current cell

This is all I have so far. Still waiting to get a couple back ordered expression pedals. Would be appreciated if anyone had anything to add and/or correct.

Duckmancam

Re: A little help with Blackstar Livelogic controller

Post by Duckmancam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Hey, I was just wondering if you got the special functionality working on your Live Logic ? I just bought one for function to make my live looping more efficient, and I'm having similar problems. I have only seen one video of a someone using the ableton script, and turns out blackstar was sponsoring the video.

I still cant get the pedal to connect with the app, although I think thats an issue with my mac since it worked when I downloaded it on other computers (both mac and pc). Also, ableton still receives midi from in in custom mode.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions since there isn't a lot out there on this pedal. I'm also newbey with this computers and such. As a guitarist it took a lot to finally embrace the digital world.

Thanks

dougtheguy

Post by dougtheguy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 am

Connecting is pretty strait forward. Just make sure you have the firmware updated. Ableton prefs have the device supported. In and out are both track and remote.
The functions do work very well. Just make sure the firmware is up to date.

djr0

Post by djr0 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:15 am

Hi 'dougthe guy'...I hope you get this. Your post was a life saver for me. I'm new to using a DAW and bought the Blackstar Live Logic. I was completely lost as to using the built-in script but your post resolved the basics for me, so I'm really thankful to you for that. I'm trying to use Ableton as a looper and was getting nowhere.

I am wondering if you've discovered anything further in terms of the built-in script functionality? I'm currently only using it in the most basic way.

As well, I'm wondering what happens if I use the Live Logic Controller app and make changes...is that a bad idea? For example, in using the Live Logic in the built-in Ableton 'script' mode what will happen if I change the mappings say for switches 5 and 6...leaving 1-4 as they are? Can I map in an expression pedal separately? I'll just experiment with this stuff but I thought I'd follow up since your post was such a godsend for me.

Also, Duckmancam i'm wondering if you're up and running. I'm having alot of success now having worked with the setup 'dougtheguy' described.

Don...Vancouver Canada BTW.