Places folders not updating

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Rowenna

Places folders not updating

Post by Rowenna » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello, hoping someone can help me here.

I have a few folders under Places and am updating them constantly with drum samples e.t.c but the problem I'm having is that Ableton doesn't update along with them. No matter how long I wait, Ableton doesn't show the new files/samples that I've placed in the folder.

At the moment as a work around, I'm deleting the folder each and every time and then re-adding the folder. But of course the more files I add in the end it's going to take forever to scan through them each time with this method.

How do I get Ableton to automatically update what's in my folders without me deleting and re-adding each time? I've looked under preferences but no luck. Is there a way to refresh the folder(s)?

I'd really appreciate any help. I've done so much searching but so far can't figure it out. I'm using a mac if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

autozone

Re: Places folders not updating

Post by autozone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I've had the exact same problem for years. Anyone find a solve?

scooby_man

Post by scooby_man » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:39 pm

The only thing that has worked for me is to click add folder and reselect the same folder. I do not delete the folder beforehand. The folder ends up reloading. I agree there should be a reload/refresh button somewhere if it is not going to happen automatically.

poweruser

Post by poweruser » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 pm

I have the same issue as well. it takes hours for it to update 1 song, or drum sample.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:34 pm

When I add a lot of stuff but I want to use something in a specific folder and I don't want to wait, I just create an empty txt file in that folder, that (or any change, like renaming a file) triggers Live's detection, then I delete the dummy txt file.

supadisco

Post by supadisco » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 am

same issue here, you'd think this would be an easy fix. oh well. at least the folders eventually index...i have to use Ableton's search to find tracks on my external HD because catalina's search is broken, at least on my machine. ack!