Ableton MOTU ASIO driver "hijack" Bug?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
highkrausen

Ableton MOTU ASIO driver "hijack" Bug?

Post by highkrausen » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Two related problem with Ableton and ASIO / MOTU interface.

1. Fresh reboot, launch browser and play YouTube video. Sound goes through MOTU Pro Audio interface - all good. Launch Ableton Live 10, even with Audio Device Driver Type set to 'None', after 5-7 seconds, the audio from browser will start crackling and then cut out. However, I can still see the device driver/interface is receiving audio in the Windows Volume Mixer window? If I Disable the MOTU Pro Audio device in Windows Sound Setting and re-enable it...sound will come back to Windows... but not while Live is open. I have to close Live first... wait a few seconds, then Disable/Enable the device.

2. Ableton becomes completely unusable if I select the ASIO > MOTU Pro Audio driver. For example: 5-7sec between clicks, MIDI devices do not work, Live will not even play clips, etc. I can choose MME/DirectX or ASIO4All and it will work again. However... see problem #1 above (lost all computer audio).

Troubleshooting so far:
-No events in Event Log
-I have tested both scenarios above with Cubase and both work as expected with MOTU Pro Audio ASIO driver
-Uninstalled/Reinstalled Live.
-"Reset" Live (user profile)
-Uninstalled/Reinstalled ASIO drivers
-Uninstalled/Reinstalled USB MIDI device drivers
-Have unchecked "allow applications to take exclusive control"
-Have enabled/disable drivers in every possible combination

I'm not the only one: https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 56#p577656

I have support requests in to both organizations...but just wanted to post here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

dj5herlock

Re: Ableton MOTU ASIO driver "hijack" Bug?

Post by dj5herlock » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:29 pm

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 pm

I used to have the same issue you mention in point 1 with my Ultralite Mk3. Couldn’t have audio running in both Live and any other app at the same time.

I never figured it out. I’ve stopped using it and just have it sitting in the cupboard as I ran into a number of other driver issues with it as well. Particularly when I moved to an AMD3900X CPU.

I’m using a Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3 now and it’s been flawless.
Last edited by cskracer on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:11 am

It's not ableton, it's the way some asio drivers are written, some can handle multi application access such as focusrite, and some do not.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:15 am

Agreed. It's the MOTU not Live.