Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
concierlo

Re: Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Post by concierlo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:06 am

@pottering thank you for that explanation. Makes sense.
Question:
In my case - there isn't automation on the RX8 and it seems odd that a widely used plug-in like Izotope and Ableton would not be compatible in that sense or at least be "filtering" hidden values.

The "undo list" wouldn't solve it, but it can be a usable work around.

In other words you've identified the issue, it's not a bug= but it's a problem.... right?

Paying $xxx for an denoising plug-in = something I can't immediately grab and use without knowing that I might slowly have to "undo" manually until it hits my last actually user input.....
it kills pace..... right away.

I'll check if there is other automation from other plugins on the same track that could "crosstalk"¿?

Again, thank you for the explanation of what's happening.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 am

I have the same problem. One day it is working then a few hours later it is not :-(
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

.daniel.

Post by .daniel. » Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 am

Thanks to the tips and explanations above I was able to identify my trouble maker: iZotope RX5 Dialogue De-noise WHEN running in auto mode. (I have no idea about that tool and how to use it and just threw it on a low quality vocal track to see whether it can help me out and left the tool in the track for later reassessment.)

When you open the device parameter view of RX5 and hit play you can actually watch in real-time how the values are automatically amended in real-time - and when thinking about it makes total sense for an audio correction tool to adjust and correct in real-time depending on the current input... but again, I have no idea :D

--------------------------------

I guess it would be great if users were telling which devices they had trouble with so I thought I share from my inefficient search how this can be done rather effectively if you too having trouble and have no clue where to start looking.

1) Save your song as a new version (just to make sure).
2) Divide all your tracks within your project in two groups.
3) Delete group 1.
4) Hit Play ... let it play for a few seconds ... hit Stop.*
5) Undo and see whether group 1 re-appears.
5a) It does: your trouble-maker is in group 1 --> Divide all your tracks within your first group in two groups, go to (3) and repeat the procedure.
5b) It doesn't: your trouble-maker is in group 2 --> Divide all your tracks within your second group in two groups, go to (3) and repeat the procedure.

*Note: If this technique fails to identify your trouble maker, try playing the entire song (as described in step (4)) as RX5, for example, would only change values automatically to actual audio input while in silent parts it would make no adjustment (which by the way explains why the undo history only sometimes seems to be broken for some users because only when you are playing the part where your trouble maker has a chance to make trouble you will run into these problems).

By using this approach you are basically applying an efficient search algorithm. Maybe not the best, but if done properly it should take no longer than 5 minutes to identify what you are dealing with... that is if the problem is not caused by something else of course :D

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Sun May 09, 2021 5:17 pm

I’ve found the same issue, my workaround is to simply freeze and/or flatten the track.
Doug

dreamout

Post by dreamout » Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm

TacTicCertified wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 am
Just happened with me as well. I was working on a session for a few hours and out of no where my undo isnt working and says Undo Change "Threshold1" no idea what the deal is
I also got this problem with Ableton 11 some days ago. It is very annoying!
There seems to be no way to solve this problem.