MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
cids
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by cids » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm

You don’t have to do anything, when opening the first Intel app a window will appear to install Rosetta, after this every Intel app will use Rosetta automatically, the get info window is only valid for universal apps where there is actually a choice wether to use Rosetta or not, as Ableton is Intel only for know you don’t have to worry about this. So install and use Ableton as you’re used to…
Mac mini 6-core and Mac mini M1

Genelec M030; Live 11; macOS 11

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Tronam
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Tronam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Biggnikh wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:43 pm
cids wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Rosetta will be used automatically when opening an Intel app

Thank you for your reply Cids.

Isn't he supposed to see the info of the app with a choice for opening the app, like the second picture in this link?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

On his M1, he does not have an option to open an app as Rosetta

Best

Nico
The option to “Open in Rosetta” will only show for apps that are already fully native universal binaries. Intel apps can only be run through Rosetta, so such an option would be pointless. Nothing needs to be manually installed. Just launching any Intel executable should trigger the request to install Rosetta. Hopefully this was done under an administrator account.

cids
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by cids » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:02 pm

You only have this option for Universal apps and Ableton is not such an app at the moment. Just run Ableton, no additional steps needed!
Mac mini 6-core and Mac mini M1

Genelec M030; Live 11; macOS 11

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Bobbobdj
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:12 am

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Bobbobdj » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Hello everyone,

So my MBA M1 arrived this afternoon, and I have to say I'm surprised at how well it plays with both 10 and 11 - especially in regards to plug ins - I use the Neutron Elements 3 to help with my Masters - and whenever the plug in would be on my screen on my old MBP 2013' i5 model, the audio would just become inaudible.

Not the case with the M1 - really shocked. And thats just with the intel version, so am really looking forward to whatever comes in the future.

Biggnikh
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 am
Location: Belgium,Brussels

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Biggnikh » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 pm

cids wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm
You don’t have to do anything, when opening the first Intel app a window will appear to install Rosetta, after this every Intel app will use Rosetta automatically, the get info window is only valid for universal apps where there is actually a choice wether to use Rosetta or not, as Ableton is Intel only for know you don’t have to worry about this. So install and use Ableton as you’re used to…
That is helpful, thank you!

Best

Nico

Biggnikh
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 am
Location: Belgium,Brussels

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Biggnikh » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 pm

Tronam wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 pm
The option to “Open in Rosetta” will only show for apps that are already fully native universal binaries. Intel apps can only be run through Rosetta, so such an option would be pointless. Nothing needs to be manually installed. Just launching any Intel executable should trigger the request to install Rosetta. Hopefully this was done under an administrator account.
Thank you Tronam, helpful as well !

Yes this was done from his admin (sole user) account

Best

Nico

Devery
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:25 am

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Devery » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Any idea when the M1 might go Native?

analogcabin
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: Afton, VA
Contact:

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by analogcabin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Devery wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:45 pm
Any idea when the M1 might go Native?
Any info?

jonljacobi
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 am

The fact that it runs so well on Rosetta 2 makes it a less urgent matter no doubt.

Treysonik
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Treysonik » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:33 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 am
The fact that it runs so well on Rosetta 2 makes it a less urgent matter no doubt.
I disagree.

Ableton 11 running on Rosetta 2 uses way too much CPU. I ended up buying Logic because it runs natively. It’s a hassle to learn a new DAW, but I have no other choice.

That being said, Ableton is my favorite DAW of all time. I will immediately switch back once Ableton releases a native version!

I hope they finish it soon.

jonljacobi
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:12 pm

Treysonik wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:33 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 am
The fact that it runs so well on Rosetta 2 makes it a less urgent matter no doubt.
I disagree.

Ableton 11 running on Rosetta 2 uses way too much CPU. I ended up buying Logic because it runs natively. It’s a hassle to learn a new DAW, but I have no other choice.

That being said, Ableton is my favorite DAW of all time. I will immediately switch back once Ableton releases a native version!

I hope they finish it soon.
I didn't mean to indicate that it's ideal, but I was comparing it to the way Live and other stuff would run under emulation or in a VM. For instance, Live running under x86 emulation on Windows for ARM. Unusable. In a VM, basically unusable. In point of fact, it's usable under Rosetta 2 if you don't throw too much stuff at it. My projects are mostly audio so it's quite doable for me.

There also seems to be a huge discrepancy in user experience in terms of CPU usage under 11. I've experienced both the good and the bad. However, in my case it was the newer versions of Kontakt that were killing it. Moving back to 6.2 solved my problem. I'd be interested in how well 11.05 runs on an M1. They seem to have fixed some native CPU hogging plugins. I'll try that next time I'm in the office.

My actual point was that it runs "well enough" under Rosetta 2 (that's what I should've said) that they probably don't have the same sense of urgency as if it wasn't usable in any fashion. The yin and yang of having Rosetta 2. And while M1 has sold a lot, how many users are doing anything as heavy-duty as Live?

By way of agreeing with you, I've stuck with my older i7 because I don't consider the M1 software environment sufficiently developed to make the move. Well, that and no need. I use Logic sometimes as well, but Live is also my favorite.

Pasha
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Pasha » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 am

Interesting point. Thanks.
My feeling is that at the moment, M1 is not ready for prime time with Ableton and Plugins. This happens also with some Video Editing apps and Plugins.
Intel is still better supported now IMHO. However, some end of life Intel Macs needs a replacement and I have big doubts about getting an M1 over an Intel. Sure Ableton Native is very much wanted. It's a pity Apple didn't issue a statement about "After the sale of the latest Intel Mac those will be supported with new OS Release for XXX years"
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

ToneShop
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by ToneShop » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:54 am

I did a very simple non scientific test with Bitwig ,which is native M1 with V4 and Serum, also native M1.
It’s not to provoke anybody or start a vs discussion, but simple numbers that are important to me as a user of different DAW’s.
Not saying any one of my DAW,s is better to worse..

A track playing a 3 note chord with Serum loaded.
MacBook M1 8 core CPU
16 GB
512 SSD
1 TB external Samsung SSD.

21 tracks in latest version Live 10 ….. 22 tracks introduced crackles resulting in a total stop of audio playback.
43 tracks in latest demo Bitwig 4.0x 44 tracks introduced crackles resulting in a total stop of audio playback.

Hope this helps anyone who finds these raw numbers important somehow.

Pasha
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by Pasha » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:10 am

Thanks, really appreciate this. Useful. About the RAM are you using a lot or still behind 8GB? (I saw you have a 16GB machine)
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

ToneShop
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: MacOS Big Sur and M1 (Apple Processor) support

Post by ToneShop » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:10 pm

Pasha wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:10 am
Thanks, really appreciate this. Useful. About the RAM are you using a lot or still behind 8GB? (I saw you have a 16GB machine)
It’s around 12/13 GB in both scenarios.

Post Reply