AV receiver / audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Unknown_ableton_user

AV receiver / audio interface

Post by Unknown_ableton_user » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:33 pm

Hello Ableton guru's

I have a pioneer vsx933 Dolby Atmos set up as 5.1 + 2 front high channels with q-aqoustic 3000's (not the I series; the cheaper ones).

I've been looking at focusrite 2i2 and Alesis Elevate 5 MKII

My question is:

Is the audio and latancy through the hdmi to the receiver giving the same as if it were through the usb audio interface setup?

Are the speakers and receiver decent enough (as their not studio monitors) to reproduce the audio for a mix?

Ableton does recognise the receiver in audio output, and ATM all my midi controllers plug into my laptop with none spare, but that's easily solved with a powered usb hub in the future if needed.

This may be a stupid question but do I need to bother with the extra cost? It's not ideal in the living room but it's copable, maybe not so much to the missus!

Thanks in advance

Have a great day

jestermgee

Re: AV receiver / audio interface

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:47 pm

Well I always find (and suggest) that if you are able to test a theory to find an answer, it's the best way to find the answer :)

So what I would suggest is doing a test with what you have before deciding if you need something you are unsure you need.

How does stuff play at the moment? How is Latency to your ears?

What I can say as someone who selects the correct tool for the job is using a standard 5.1 hifi receiver as the direct audio output via HDMI is not the correct tool for the job and probably wont work reliably.

As a start, there is no ASIO option for your setup. In short and non technical, ASIO offers a high priority dedicated driver option to connect your DAW direct to your audio device bypassing all the bloated windows mixing system that tends to run lower priority and is the cause of delay and buffer issues (crackles) when trying to process real-time audio.

Using a decent audio interface will give you much better performance but question is always, do you currently need it? If you do not know how things work with what you have already, you will never know if what you purchase is any better