clear capture cache

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dallon426

clear capture cache

Post by Dallon426 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 am

Hi, how can I clear the midi capture cache? I am asking because sometimes I am jamming and I get an idea and then want to improvise on that idea without having all the previous midi notes I was playing for say a minute. Thanks

Tarekith

Re: clear capture cache

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:19 pm

I don’t think you can based on this from the manual:

“All of your played material will be saved in the clip, and any notes that you played before the detected phrase will appear prior to the clip start marker. This enables you to adjust the start/end or loop markers to set a different loop. (Tip: to discard unwanted material outside the set loop, simply right-click(PC) / CTRL-click(Mac) on the clip and select the Crop Clip command.)“
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:48 am

The midi capture file (a json file) can be found here:

Windows - \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\

Mac - /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Live Reports/

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 pm

hmm interesting. Well that could be a feature request no? I would like to be able to clear the que.
Perhaps a work around is to create a new track and then go back to the old track?
Or to click to que capture button and then select all and delete. It would be nice to have a clear capture button though, I think.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:44 pm

If you use a Capture it is emptied. So click the capture button and delete the generated clip. The next time you start playing it will be from bar 1.
Another option is to play on another track and then return to the track you want to capture.
However, all these things defeat the purpose of the Capture feature. The Capture feature is there to record things when you're not (thinking about) recording your input. When you start managing Captures, you might as well just hit the record button.