Sampler & Simpler: Clarification, Please?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
otalgia99

Sampler & Simpler: Clarification, Please?

Post by otalgia99 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Hey Everyone

I have a very basic question regarding Sampler vs. Simpler -- I apologize for the rudimentary nature of this inquiry.

Is it the case that Sampler -- although the more comprehensive device of the two, from what I understand -- does NOT have a "slicing" function? I seem not to be able to make slices in Sampler, even by manually clicking in the waveform of an imported sample.

I can't find anything in the manual about how this is accomplished in Sampler.

I can see why Simpler, in its... errr, "simplicity" would be the lower-overhead bet for an instrument such as a drum rack, where several or many chains of samples might end up being involved. Not that that has anything directly to do with slicing itself, tho I suppose the two aspects can be related in certain ways.

But that "slice" mode -- wow, is that ever super-convenient. Especially since there are a number of ways to derive and define slices.

Is the only method for a result similar to slicing obtained in Sampler by dragging multiple iterations of a sample into its interior layers and defining their desired individual regions & MIDI note associations, etc. from there?

Thanks, as always,
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

pottering

Re: Sampler & Simpler: Clarification, Please?

Post by pottering » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:12 pm

Sampler is way older than Simpler's Slice Mode, which only appeared in 9.5 (2015), Sampler is from Live 6 (2006, maybe "simpler pre-9.5" Simpler was released together with it?).

In other words, Simpler got a nice update some years ago in 9.5, Sampler didn't.

You can slice to Sampler using the Slice To right-click options in Audio Clips or even in the Browser.

Use "From Warp markers" if you want to custom slices, otherwise from transients works well most of the time.

Though last time I checked (it was still in Live 9) Live comes with FX-ladden Slice To Sampler presets, you may want to create a "clean" Sampler Slice To preset (if Ableton didn't add one in 10 or 11).

You can just load a default Sampler (or with whatever settings you prefer) and then drag it into User Library>Defaults>Slicing.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/conve ... midi-track
♥♥♥

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 pm

otalgia99 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm
Hey Everyone

I have a very basic question regarding Sampler vs. Simpler -- I apologize for the rudimentary nature of this inquiry.

Is it the case that Sampler -- although the more comprehensive device of the two, from what I understand -- does NOT have a "slicing" function? I seem not to be able to make slices in Sampler, even by manually clicking in the waveform of an imported sample.

I can't find anything in the manual about how this is accomplished in Sampler.

I can see why Simpler, in its... errr, "simplicity" would be the lower-overhead bet for an instrument such as a drum rack, where several or many chains of samples might end up being involved. Not that that has anything directly to do with slicing itself, tho I suppose the two aspects can be related in certain ways.

But that "slice" mode -- wow, is that ever super-convenient. Especially since there are a number of ways to derive and define slices.

Is the only method for a result similar to slicing obtained in Sampler by dragging multiple iterations of a sample into its interior layers and defining their desired individual regions & MIDI note associations, etc. from there?

Thanks, as always,
O99
Yes.

Simpler was originally a very Simple sampler but it has gotten updated thoughout the years to give it slicing and warping functionality probably to keep Push competitve with things like Maschine.

Sampler mainly kept it's same original features other than the same updated filters Simpler also got, (except Sampler has an additional morphing filter). Sampler has multisampling and some synthlike modulation features Simpler doesn't have, so is mainly geared for multisampling and certain sound design applications like FM, Amplitude modulation, and more modulation possibilities in general (I think it also has some looping modes/capabilities, Simpler don't have as well).

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:50 am

You can slice in Simpler, then right-click on the Simpler instrument header and choose “Convert to Sampler”.

That way you get the best of both worlds!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:34 am

Thank you all!

I started using Live at 9, so the history you describe explains everything.

With warm regards
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:50 am
You can slice in Simpler, then right-click on the Simpler instrument header and choose “Convert to Sampler”.

Wait. What? You absolutely win. I didn't know this!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm
Pitch Black wrote:

“That’s good. You’ve taken your first step into a larger world.” :D

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:08 pm

I was gonna call you a nerd for using a star wars quote...but I guess that makes us both nerds!!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Guilty as charged!

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:28 am

Shift Gorden wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 pm
Pitch Black wrote:

LOL don't know how I forgot the simplest way, this was actually effing HUGE to me back then, because I was still on Live 9 Intro at that time (no Slice To options, no Complex Warp modes, became options inside 9.5 Simpler. plus the Cytomic filters).
♥♥♥