macro variation between clips within track? (session view)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
obyvatel

macro variation between clips within track? (session view)

Post by obyvatel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:30 am

Hoping someone can help me understand how I can implement macro variation between clips within the same track in session view.
Currently when I change the macros on one clip it changes the macros for all the clips within that track. Is there a way to change the macros for only one clip so that I can have unique macros for each?

thankyou

Greenapples2019

Re: macro variation between clips within track? (session view)

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:11 am

Do you mean different variations of the same 8 macro controls? If so, Live 11 can do that. Or if you don't have 11 and want clips to have different effects on them you can set up each clip as a separate chain and then use a chain selector to move between them. Or if you want the 8 macros to control different parameters for each clip e.g. knob 1 controls LF cutoff on clip 1 and delay time on clip 2 then you're probably looking at M4L/ClyphX Pro/User actions and a lot of evenings coding. Or you could put each clip on a different scene and track and then each track can have its own macro for that clip (so clip 1 goes on track 1, scene 1, C2 goes on T2, S2 and so on).

Or someone else may have a much better idea?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 am

Open Manual and search for Clip Envelopes...

Cheers
D

obyvatel

Post by obyvatel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:23 am

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:11 am
Do you mean different variations of the same 8 macro controls? If so, Live 11 can do that. Or if you don't have 11 and want clips to have different effects on them you can set up each clip as a separate chain and then use a chain selector to move between them. Or if you want the 8 macros to control different parameters for each clip e.g. knob 1 controls LF cutoff on clip 1 and delay time on clip 2 then you're probably looking at M4L/ClyphX Pro/User actions and a lot of evenings coding. Or you could put each clip on a different scene and track and then each track can have its own macro for that clip (so clip 1 goes on track 1, scene 1, C2 goes on T2, S2 and so on).

Or someone else may have a much better idea?
Yes I'm talking Live 11. I do mean different variations of the same 8 or more macro controls. How is it done in 11 without creating a bazillion tracks with the same clip?
Last edited by obyvatel on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

obyvatel

Post by obyvatel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:26 am

S4racen wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 am
Open Manual and search for Clip Envelopes...

Cheers
D
I'm looking but not seeing anything relating to the macros.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:38 am

Yes I'm talking Live 11. I do mean different variations of the same 8 or more macro controls. How is it done in 11 without creating a bazillion tracks with the same clip?
[/quote]

Would the macro variations feature do what you're after?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:35 pm

There's currently no way to automate the Variations natively, so you'll need to either trigger them manually while recording (so the automation is written for all macros over each clip) – or you can use Krazy Baldhead AKA KB Devices' Smooth Automator which allow you to automate the Variations:
https://kblivesolutions.gumroad.com/l/lGDVv

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 pm

If you need better overall control over Variations, have a look at this.