Can we open a WAV file from within Ableton Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Re: Can we open a WAV file from within Ableton Live?

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 am

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:39 am
Alongside monitors? And if the desk don't allow for it, rebuild it so it does.... Then stick an older second pair alongside those on stands too and maybe some 5.1 around the ceiling if you feel adventurous
of course you can do that -- but the downside is that the stereo image in your mix position is way too wide (ideally your speaker positions form an equilateral triangle with your head/ears)...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 am

Small price to pay for convenience, and why I also have 4 different sets of headphones for finer detailed stuff and comparisons..... But I'm no hardcore self professed expert in the field by any stretch, I also do a million other things and work on all kinds of other projects where a single thumbnail sized laptop screen is impossible to work with. Can't have a slack call, test software and make changes all on the fly on a single screen without looking like a tool switching back and forth asking everyone to hang on a sec :)

But completely off topic, what the OP was banging on about is completely doable to DnD from a folder into Live without the need for dual screens, just from my POV it makes a lot more productive sense with personal feelings and OCD tendencies aside, simple maths of real-estate if you work on stuff, having more stuff in front of you at a time means more productiveness.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:21 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 am
Small price to pay for convenience, and why I also have 4 different sets of headphones for finer detailed stuff and comparisons.....
last thread hijack — with respect having your speakers too wide is a big price to pay if you are mixing, and using headphones won't compensate for it. the issue with headphones is that the sound field is unnaturally wide with extreme channel separation. having your speakers super-wide makes them sound more like headphones.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:36 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:21 pm
jestermgee wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:56 am
Small price to pay for convenience, and why I also have 4 different sets of headphones for finer detailed stuff and comparisons.....
last thread hijack — with respect having your speakers too wide is a big price to pay if you are mixing, and using headphones won't compensate for it. the issue with headphones is that the sound field is unnaturally wide with extreme channel separation. having your speakers super-wide makes them sound more like headphones.
Meh, i'm not a mixer and for my needs, it is perfectly acceptable just like for your needs it is acceptable to have a single screen. I guess if I had a dedicated need for specifically having things setup for mixing I would set it according to all the technical stuff out there but for one, I don't make a living from my music production specifically but I do from my need for having 3 monitors and I think there is far too much over emphasis for people these days to have everything setup per-the-book when not everyone is aiming to be a mix/master engineer.

I actually use to have things setup more suitably years ago with the 2 wing monitors set out to the sides and the monitor speakers either side of the main. It was impossible to work that way for my other work as I needed to crank my neck too far between each monitor so, compromise.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:05 pm

Selecting a drive to serve as an added "folder" solved my problem.

As for dual screens, I think a split would be too restrictive. I use a second monitor, plugged into a HDMI port: With music creation and editing so frequently requiring some multitasking in workflow, I can't imagine not working with two or three individual monitors; and the larger the screen the better, since the madness of poor contrast has become so popular. Especially in media apps, tiny black text on a dark gray background is routinely imposed. Apparently squinting is considered desirable. Fortunately, Ableton allows customization. But on a 4K screen, some of the menu items are still barely readable, even with the "Light" theme selected.
Win 10, Finale 26.3, Corel PSP & Video Studio, Tunefish synthesizer.