Extreme lag inside of Live 10, any idea what's wrong?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nyyx

Extreme lag inside of Live 10, any idea what's wrong?

Post by Nyyx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 am

Okay so I'm not really sure why this is happening, and its also a bit hard to pinpoint exactly when it started, but I believe I first noticed this probably about 4 months ago (I've been away for a bit). But for whatever ever reason, moving clips around and playing audio is causing bouts of heavy lag inside of Ableton to the point that its just becoming miserable to even use. The lag seems almost entirely attached to timeline elements and not so much the audio itself, but drops do occasionally happen, but there are not clicks and pops like you would get if your CPU was being overloaded. The CPU indicator inside Ableton is showing just around 15-20% and my recent projects haven't been very large at all or plugin heavy. It's also worth noting I'm not currently using any M4L plugins as I know some of those have the ability to introduce weird lag issues. These projects are mostly editing sessions, so lots of trimming and shuffling around audio clips. I'm at a loss as far as how to fix this issue and I've only ever encountered something similar when projects are getting enormous. I've already tried reinstalling, and don't have anything else running that should be causing lag like this. I'm on a 2017 iMac OS Catalina.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Extreme lag inside of Live 10, any idea what's wrong?

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:05 pm

Did you check that it's not coming from any 3rd party plugins?
Did you change your monitor recently?
Is your Live10 version up-to-date?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Nyyx

Re: Extreme lag inside of Live 10, any idea what's wrong?

Post by Nyyx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Okay so oddly enough, the problem seems to have stemmed from an application that controls my mouse settings... I have no idea what happened but after re-installing the program and doing some other updates, the problem seems to have been resolved. Pretty bizarre.