Focusrite crackling after playing audio for a few seconds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miyaru

Re: Focusrite crackling after playing audio for a few seconds

Post by miyaru » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32 pm

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10 to start with......

It is not only about Focusrite though.

You said you have tried everything, what have you done exactly? Tweaked your OS, adjested samplerate and buffersizes - there are so many variables here! On what OS are you and yes please read this first: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242485
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

nathannnnnnnnnnnnn

Post by nathannnnnnnnnnnnn » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 pm

From what I remember on Windows the Focusrite installer will install BOTH the thunderbolt driver and the usb driver

This is what worked for me

Uninstall all Focusrite drivers
Restart the computer
go in to device manager in windows and uninstall any generic audio drivers
now reinstall the Focusrite driver remember to un check the thunderbolt driver in setup
Restart the computer

dllmjacopo

Post by dllmjacopo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:15 pm

[CAN SKIP TO EDIT]

My problem was focusrite 3rd gen glitching after 5-10 second of normal playback.

It worked normally (192khz @ 512 buffer size, can work at 256 if you dont use much plugins and have nice cpu but anyway every 20 minutes it start glitching, just go to audio setting and switch to a different bit rate and then go back to the one you were using for the project to stop the glitch, 256 good for recording with less latency but then 512 better for post production) for hours and at a point the issue started in the project and would not go away.

[solution for me]
Project at 192kbps, every track recorded at 192, but did a mistake recording just one clip at a different bit rate and the problem began. I upsampled the clip and now have all clips and project at the same 192kbps and the problem is gone.

Focusreich 3rd gen drivers are just rubbish and struggling at handle multiple bit rate conversions in real time i suppose but not having the problems with other daws makes me also think some fault is in ableton software interaction with the interface.

EDIT:
Everything was just coincidence, i did not resolve anything by doing what previously said.

It is a problem brought by tons of variables, and firstly by cpu spikes in ableton discussed in other forum posts, then those are being caused by some other many kind of hardware/software/drivers conflicts or unoptimised usage.
Search for guides to optimize your system for audio production, i used this:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... Windows-10

After doing some of the optimisations listed here the glitch and crackes were gone and didn’t even happen when the cpu spikes occur in Ableton, after doing every step i could/that was useful to my situation i even got rid of the spikes. No need for third party programs that would weight more on cpu like process lasso.
Now i think it’s just that windows is not sufficiently ready for audio production out of the box.
Last edited by dllmjacopo on Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appleboxjo

Post by appleboxjo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:24 pm

I’m having similar problems. I’ve tried with a Scarlett Solo, and ID44 MkII. Seems like it could be related to windows/Ableton priorities and E-Cores… A thread popped up on Reddit a couple days back but I haven’t had time to try the “fix” (Process Lasso I believe).

I9-12900k, 32 GB DDR5, 2 TB SSD— all other DAWs I’ve tried have been fine.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:29 am

I get crackling in Live when I’m charging my trackpad using the USB-C ports on my Mac Studio. Goes away as soon as I unplug the cable.

If you’ve already exhausted the options with your audio interface, it might be worth trying unplugging everything else that uses a USB port to see if one of them is the culprit