Consolidating and backup up projects

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
josefreak

Consolidating and backup up projects

Post by josefreak » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 am

Can someone provide some easy to follow steps on how to consolidate and backup a project so that everything is in one folder that I can move around, and then open up on another machine and have it all work? No matter what I do, I always seem to be missing something. Both machines have the same plugins, etc. The issue seems to be around audio files. Sometimes they're missing, sometime they're not. Sometime the audio files are even in the folder, but the Live project is not referencing them correctly. So frustrating!

Tarekith

Re: Consolidating and backup up projects

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:53 am

Open the Live project you want to back up, and then go File -> Save As, and then save it to a new location on your hard drive. Now go File -> Collect All and Save.

This way only the files you actually use are copied to the new location, which frees up disk space while making sure all the files needed for that project are in one folder. Open the new project just to check all is well, then you can back up that folder or overwrite the previous one you started with, it's up to you.