Live Vs Traktor pro in the djing area?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Live Vs Traktor pro in the djing area?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:36 pm

I've never really used trakotr, but i see many dj's and produdcers use it instead of live for example richard hawtin. :lol:

So what advantages or disadvantages there are between live and traktor.

I know with live you can make your own stuff,you have follow actions,looping,and more.

But in the djing area , why would someone choose traktor over live to play ?

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 pm

my personal summary:

live has more possibilitys, traktor with it's loop functions and multiple waveforms and many other small details is way better adjusted for djing. I found out, that I actually don't need a powerful system like live for this and that I come to better results with a "simpler" setup like traktor. A gripper isn't as flexible as a swiss army knife, but sometimes you just need a gripper.

although... I really dig live for other purposes.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:26 pm

i havnt used traktor pro yet (obviously as its not out yet), but i must say i actually hav more fun mixing with live. obviously if u use traktor scratch, then i would favour that as i love beatmatching and mixing vinyl. but as far as digital djing goes, live is more experimental, if u hav the right midi controller, and are clever with the way u set things up, the possibilities r endless. and the efx dont even compare. lives effects are very visual, easy to setup and can do a lot more. also u cna group effects and create a completely unique way of djing depending how u group the effects. ive been getting bored of the normal traktor, mayb traktor pro will add a lot more. will hav to wait and see.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Live has some stuff I really would like to see in Traktor, and the effect handling is great. (that's why I reroute Traktor through Reaktor). My most wanted features are in Traktor Pro now (better effect handling and cue quantizing)

But... it may be me, but I'm bored with this "endless possibility" stuff. I usually see one or two djs/live artist performances a week and I have to say, the result what I like is in no way realated to the technologie that they are using.

Actually the best sets in the last time are from pure vinyl djs. Not because of vinyl (I'm really not a vinyl lover, I love technologie), it's because of the sensing and the ability to create a mood.

I think you need a setup which you can use blind, it's not about what you "could" do, it's about what you do.

ps: I'm mostly into minimal/dub techno/house music. A hiphop dj wants totally different things . I never use a crossfader for example... So the music you want to play is important.

I think the mashup/new rave thing is something which really can profit from ableton because it has another philosophy (you want to fuck up things). although, the act in this genre which amazed me the most was sebastiAn and he did his set with cdj's when I saw him last year ;-) ... but honestly, I think ableton is a weapon in this genre.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 pm

mr. ergonomics wrote:
But... it may be me, but I'm bored with this "endless possibility" stuff. I usually see one or two djs/live artist performances a week and I have to say, the result what I like is in no way realated to the technologie that they are using.
freakin' + 100.000.000 times o damn YES!
Actually the best sets in the last time are from pure vinyl djs. Not because of vinyl (I'm really not a vinyl lover, I love technologie), it's because of the sensing and the ability to create a mood.

the vinyl / decks thing does not apply to me, even i am also not a vinyl freak anymore and i totally love the possibilities of technology!!! big time, but have to deeply agree with the fact that there is to much shite around because people try to cover up missing musical feeling / simple but essential skills with i have the greatest and latest technology...!!! makes me sick sometimes.

man, this is the best most agreeable thing someone has written here for a very long time!!!!

actually about the 2 decks and a turntable issue... i have been last weekend to REJEKT in berlin, 2 guys back to back on decks for 4-5 hours on a joyride through music instead of big name club 1.5 hour per set i wank my set down bullshit. celebrate my 'i am a rock star' status.

and oops, on topic again for me it's traktor for dj-ing, because of the control feei i have when playing with it, which live doesn't allow me having in the same way.
*** Image GAFM ***

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:But... it may be me, but I'm bored with this "endless possibility" stuff. I usually see one or two djs/live artist performances a week and I have to say, the result what I like is in no way realated to the technologie that they are using.
Totally agree, the tecnology does not affect the final result, BUT.... as an professional you cannot "close your eyes" to new ways of performing, if U are OK with just CDJs, OK, continue with them (for djing, of couse), IMHO the case here is that how long you will prefer djing in the "traditional" style while you begin to see new possibilities with another gear.
mr.ergonomics wrote:Actually the best sets in the last time are from pure vinyl djs. Not because of vinyl (I'm really not a vinyl lover, I love technologie), it's because of the sensing and the ability to create a mood.

Why U think that this DJ cannot do the same with another gear??? the important part is your "song collection" and MUSIC FEELING and your experience as an DJ and not what U are using, you can to EVERYTHING in live that U do with CDJs IMHO.
mr.ergonomics wrote:I think you need a setup which you can use blind, it's not about what you "could" do, it's about what you do.

Djing with live is relative new to "traditional" DJs, if U practice, U will drive live "blindly" too...

I have used vinyl, CDJs, traktor, torq and others, and decided to stay with ONLY ONE GEAR and learn how to do the "traditional" things in LIVE and INTEGRATE with a new philosofy that live bring to us, take a good controller for performing, if U prefer, a controller with "traditional" dj style and practice, practice, practice the exact SAME way U did in the past with turntables and baet-matching and U will see how the things will appear more "simple"....

Oh, and use the time U spend today beat-matching at the gig to introduce new effects/better transitions into your mix.

The main id the DJ soul and not what U are using!!!

cheers
[]'s