kids and ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squeakycheeker

kids and ableton

Post by squeakycheeker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 pm

anybody else out there trying to do the music thing and parently duties as well? - had ableton for 3 months now and my kids for two and seven years - some weeks i feel lucky if i manage to learn one new thing in live - wouldn't swap my girls for anything obviously but boy is learning ableton slow going when you can only snatch an hour here and there with it.....

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I've been taking care of my gramps, who has Alzheimer's, and I imagine it to be a similar thing... He takes a lot out of me, and when I find the juice to try and make some noise, many times he does some crazy shit that needs my undivided attention. Still though, I manage to squeeze in a bit here, a bit there, and any bit I get is better than nothing.
The last couple of days, I actually shed a good bit of the block I've had to write tunes, and I've started composing something, after 3 years or so without...

:arrow:

"Positivity is the key in the lock, put your hand on it and turn it to the right..."
- Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest)
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Yup. Three kids. I have the added bonus of working from home as a music teacher as well. However, time is still short for Live. I have recorded little bits here and there, but no finished project. I have spent nearly a year just trying to understand Live, refine my PC, and settle on some outboard gear. I love listening to some of the tunes posted on the 'Link your Music' forum, but find myself equally envious of other peoples success at creating and recording their music. It just deepens the frustration. I think I am somewhat odd, because I seem to be the only person around here that finds Live difficult to understand and use. I have toyed with Reaper, and have cubase LE sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. That sort of carry on just pushes success with Live further away though.

Anyways, I think if you are a total noob like me and only have small bits of time for Live, you have to lower your expectations and settle in for the long haul.

All the best.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

koneko

Post by koneko » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:39 pm

i hear you. have a 1 y/o boy myself. so making music get kicked down the priority list. somebody once said here something like 'i dont need more gear, just more time' and its true.
what works for me is to declare 2 hours ableton a day, or a week or whatever you can afford, but to be consistent about it. so everybody knows - papa is gone to his studio and he's coming back in 2 hours. its still not enough time to learn max/msp, but for live, over some time, it should work.
besides, being limited with your time is not always a bad thing. use it well
Last edited by koneko on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:55 pm

My kids are 3 and 9. I work an IT job full time and try to get some music done every night while everyone is sleeping.

Sleep is the sacrifice. Occasionally I take a night off and sleep 12 hours.

This forum's the real killer though!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:23 pm

ollyb303 wrote:...This forum's the real killer though!
But...but.......but... :oops:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 pm

two kids, aged 2 and 4 - yes, 2 and 4.

If you want to get some time with Ableton Live why not do it with your 7-y-o?
kids love Live, and music, and creativity in general - I can spend over an hour with my 4-year-old on my lap, looping away...

in fact, here she is on a track, made in that exact way:

http://wetterberg.dk/tracks/Wetterberg_ ... erberg.mp3
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Yeah, kids as an excuse for not doing music is pretty bad with Andreas as an example. He can pwn us all with 2 rugrats running around.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 am

Master!.... 8) cool track Andreas..

err... where was I?....oh yeah 2 sprogettes here, Joshua, deep moody studios 8, and JohneyJohn, animated devilish in yer face 5.

Both It seems destined for a life of strong musical encounter.. WICKED!

As for me and music and Ableton and sleep.. What's sleep?

Rock on tommy (with the kids) :twisted:

Hd

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:34 am

I dont like kids.
But making music with em is pretty funny in a way!

*cough*

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am

1 year old daughter here - I do pretty much the same as everyone else & grab a couple of hours 'Live-time' once she's asleep!

Worst thing is having to pack up all my gear each night when I've finished to stop her getting her grubby hands on it... and the wife is starting to talk about having another sprog!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:57 am

I will be a father in 6 weeks!

I am expecting to make less music for some time, but hopefully not too little. Would be a shame, as we just started to have new studio at a very inspiring place. And have some offers for some nice gigs next year.

I am looking forward to play more acoustic guitar again, learn a big number of children-tunes and when my kid is five years old I will be a star in his peer group. (only joking)

The guy from Wall of Voodoo did a very nice children record.

Is there a Kids-glitch-genre?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:58 am

Szuumm wrote: Worst thing is having to pack up all my gear each night when I've finished to stop her getting her grubby hands on it... and the wife is starting to talk about having another sprog!
I hear you on that one! We live in a very small flat and I have nowhere permanent to set my kit up - and even if I did, I'm not sure my 3 year old wouldn't cover it in chocolate, jam, drool, whatever... so I gotta set everything up every night and pack it all away again before I catch a couple of hours sleep.

I long for a permanent studio space.....
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 am

pepezabala wrote: Is there a Kids-glitch-genre?
Just make one up and call it "kidcore".

Seems to be the done thing these days!
ob1techno.com

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am

weeddigger wrote:I've been taking care of my gramps, who has Alzheimer's, and I imagine it to be a similar thing... He takes a lot out of me, and when I find the juice to try and make some noise, many times he does some crazy shit that needs my undivided attention. Still though, I manage to squeeze in a bit here, a bit there, and any bit I get is better than nothing.
The last couple of days, I actually shed a good bit of the block I've had to write tunes, and I've started composing something, after 3 years or so without...

:arrow:

"Positivity is the key in the lock, put your hand on it and turn it to the right..."
- Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest)
Man that's hard. But stay there for him.
One thing i regret is not being there for my Gramps even though he needed it. Being 19 i thought i had more important things to deal with like girls, booze & drugs.. and well.... I regret that :(