(OT) STFU about tax increases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:26 am

beer/liquor pricing is alot like cigarettes -- varying widely based on taxes -- and also varies based on what a given market is deemed to prefer (e.g., corona used to be way expensive all sorts of places -- as an import -- that it's now just another beer with fairly national pricing (leaving aside taxes)).

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:43 am

Don't discount working here in the UAE. It's a great place to live with lots to do, with no sign of a recession (yet).

There is LOTS of work (especially construction, medical, educational), pay is tax-free, and gas is under 2 bucks a gallon.

Alcohol, however, IS expensive. That's a good thing, IMO.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:06 am

hambone1 wrote:Don't discount working here in the UAE. It's a great place to live with lots to do, with no sign of a recession (yet).

There is LOTS of work (especially construction, medical, educational), pay is tax-free, and gas is under 2 bucks a gallon.

Alcohol, however, IS expensive. That's a good thing, IMO.
Yeah but I like my head attached to my body.

I'm joking.

I've never been decapitated. Maybe I'd like it.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:10 am

This place is more Western than many places I've been to in the West!

The biggest danger is driving. Although the roads are wide, smooth, and big trucks are banned and have their own roads, there are tons of huge SUVs, cars, and trucks, and they drive very fast and weave across lanes NASCAR-style. Once you learn to drive defensively, you're OK. The 87 mile commute to work only takes a little over an hour (set the cruise control at 100, wake me up when we're there!)

There was a 200+ car pile-up here earlier this year!

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/wor ... 26487.html