Ableton/Serato Partnership

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Ableton/Serato Partnership

Post by Patch » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Abes - PLEASE do not make this collaboration dependant on native hardware. I don't want to have to buy a scratchamp or other Serato/ableton brand hardware when this materialises...

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 am

agreed.

I feel like i've heard henke talk about why Ableton doesn't offer a midi controller.... They want to tell anyone "the best" way to set up a Live set, everyone does it different. Noobs will flounder, but it's a way cool idea.

I would be sad, and so would guys sitting in an airport wanting to mess around with their set but can't plug in their audio interface/turntable/magic wand to make it work.

and who wants that?

business is business though....
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Darrel855

Post by Darrel855 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:09 am

Jekblad wrote:agreed.

I feel like i've heard henke talk about why Ableton doesn't offer a midi controller.... They want to tell anyone "the best" way to set up a Live set, everyone does it different. Noobs will flounder, but it's a way cool idea.

I would be sad, and so would guys sitting in an airport wanting to mess around with their set but can't plug in their audio interface/turntable/magic wand to make it work.

and who wants that?

business is business though....
If Serato is involved proprietary hardware will be used no doubt .

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:23 am

ALL of the better vinyl emulation companies have propriety hardware, IMO it's a better way to operate by only having to support one model of sound card. Low latency, scratch emulation and vinyl control are paramount to the idea of vinyl emulation.

My hopes would be a soundcard similar to Audio 8 DJ but with 4 inputs (left and right decks; turntable or CDJ) (2 for FX sends) and 6 outputs (4 for full tracks, samples and loops) (2 for fx outputs).

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:48 am

ekwipt wrote:ALL of the better vinyl emulation companies have propriety hardware
MixVibes seems quite good to me and it does not have a propriety hardware.
Of course you still need a good, low latency audio card...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 am

there is no scratchamp.. that's what stanton calls their hardware. basically u are asking to use ssl without to buy it, right??

it's a corporation between 2 companies selling 2 products. don't expect to be able to take advantage of it without owning both of these.
Last edited by Daim on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:17 am

It would be so cool if you could make a midi clip sequence in lets say operator, have operator play the sequence and then be able to use time code vinyl/CD emulation to further manipulate the sequence. Same thing with drum racks, simpler, sampler etc...

I want to know more, this sounds quite exiting!
Please no hardware dongles, and if the has to be one, don't use the Rane TTM-57 mixer because that would create a huge barrier, it would be very undemocratic since that mixer is very expensive.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Daim wrote:don't expect to be able to take advantage of it without owning both of these.
Wouldn't dream of it.

I use Mixvibes DVS 7 and DJ Decks (Shareware) and NEITHER have proprietry hardware. I use the cheapest USB audio interface I could find (U46DJ) for both DVS systems - and it works great. I have it down to 2ms latency (that's right - 2ms!!!). I haven't even tried to set up a DVS system with my Ultralite - why would I need to?

P.S - are you Daim the graf writer?

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:17 pm

no :)

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Patch wrote: I use Mixvibes DVS 7 and DJ Decks (Shareware) and NEITHER have proprietry hardware. I use the cheapest USB audio interface I could find (U46DJ) for both DVS systems - and it works great. I have it down to 2ms latency (that's right - 2ms!!!). I haven't even tried to set up a DVS system with my Ultralite - why would I need to?
I've used DJ-Decks before moving towards Serato and believe me if you haven't had the chance to play on either Serato Scratch Live or Traktor Scratch Pro, they are both miles ahead in anything else, it's not the latency that's the overall factor in all of this, being able to needle drop, move in and out of internal, relative and absolute mode and the scratch responsiveness is what make these products great.

DJ decks for me could hold pitch over a long time and Mixvibes i believe is just DJ-Decks with a new GUI (DJ Decks is great software, BTW and Adion deserves he credit), but after using SSL or TSP you won't even think of going back to anything WITHOUT proprietary hardware such as the SL1 or A8DJ.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:13 pm

I get what you're saying - but I'm sure Live pisses on both SSL and TSP. It's the integration factor that I'm interested in. All I'm interested in is the latency. 2ms latency while scratching is amazing. You CANNOT tell the difference between a normal record and the timecode equivelent.

Live is the shiz for DJ'ing. No doubt about it. The possibilities are endless. I just want to be able to integrate timecode technology into Live. A simple Timecode VST or native timecode effect would make me happy. Or the ability to sync Lives master tempo to an incoming timecode signal.

What I would like to see, is a live set where the 2 Serato "players" (each one representing a turntable) were incorporated into the session view. Each player would have it's own track, with the Serato GUI (or similar) showing up in the effects view for that channel.

Something like I suggested a while back HERE

I'm really excited about the partnership. I'm not excited about the fact that I may need to buy new hardware.

Let's not forget - Live DOES NOT support multiple audio interfaces at the moment. So where does that leave my £500 Ultralite if I have to buy proprietry hardware to get in on the Serato/Ableton action?

One last thing. I hope to God Serato & Ableton are asking DJ Enferno for some input on this.

bangpow

Post by bangpow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:17 pm

You know, I think some of the Ableton fans might be thinking about this in the wrong way. I think people are wanting a full out Ableton with a time code vinyl option, but what I think is going to happen is that Serato is basically going to have Ableton develop more of the bells and whistles for Serato to compete with Traktor Scratch.

I honestly don't expect a full working version of Ableton to be incorporated into Serato.

You also have to remember that Serato is a DJ application first and foremost and will hopefully still treated as such with this partnership.

kraze

Post by kraze » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:30 pm

If you know anying about Serato and what they do you know that this is going to be a hardware/software combo and is definently going to be dependent on a hefty purchase.

However, the potential is huge and total timecode intergration with something Live-esque could be devastatingly good.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Lets not forget - SERATO is a software company. RANE makes the hardware. The partnership is between SERATO and ABLETON - no mention of Rane whatsoever...

I heard that straight from thehorses mouth...

brycebsp

i'm guessing

Post by brycebsp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm guessing it might be some type of re-wire application where Serato and Live will interface together. Allowing Midi from Serato to control global BPM of what you are doing in live. Maybe even the ability to re-route the audio from Serato through effects in Live before it goes back out of Serato to your dj mixer (or PA).

To me this would be a nice integration. I realize this could probaly be done already with external audio routing, but it would be nice and clean with a re-wire type application similar to how Reason is rewired into Live.

I envision still being able to mix tracks with the Vinyl feel from Serato while taking advantage of all the amazing effects in live with the added bonus of being able to enable clips, loops etc.