Arkaos or Resolume ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Coupe70

Arkaos or Resolume ?

Post by Coupe70 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi !
A question for all of you working with visuals:

Arkaos and Resolume seem to be the best choices for live visuals.
So which one is better - Resolume 3 (the new one) or Arkaos ?
Price is nearly the same.
I want to control everything via MIDI coming from Live - EVERYTHING,
clips, fx, bank changes. I do not want to touch the VJ software during
my live set.

And what is the difference between Arkaos Grand VJ und Arkaos 3.6 MIDI ?
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Just checked out the new Resolume the other day.....sick!!!
There are still some bugs as it's beta, but if they get those worked it it should be awesome!
You can drag an audio clip over a video clip and they are linked and can be used as an AV effect!
You can make custom AV effects by combining free-frame and vst effects using something similar to macros!
You can have independant MIDI control over each layer (something not every VJ application can do)
Multiple outputs and output spanning modes!
Available on Mac now!!!
Wow!!!!

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Resolume has always looked more interesting, features and GUI-wise, but seems buggy by all accounts. Maybe the new version will be more stable.
Arkaos seemed like a toy but clearly isnt once you get it running.

But indeed - what exactly IS the difference between GrandVJ and Arkaos Midi 3.6? Because there is no definitive atatement on the arkaos site or forum, just a lot of foot shuffling.....i would like to know.

zappen

Re: Arkaos or Resolume ?

Post by zappen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Coupe70 wrote:Hi !
Arkaos and Resolume seem to be the best choices for live visuals.
i don't agree, the best is what fits your needs, there are plenty other good visual software, even more powerfull/open then those 2 (wich are basically just video samplers)

http://www.softwarevj.com/

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 am

chris vine wrote:Resolume has always looked more interesting, features and GUI-wise, but seems buggy by all accounts. Maybe the new version will be more stable.
Arkaos seemed like a toy but clearly isnt once you get it running.

But indeed - what exactly IS the difference between GrandVJ and Arkaos Midi 3.6? Because there is no definitive atatement on the arkaos site or forum, just a lot of foot shuffling.....i would like to know.
To the point regarding resolume., except the new one is even more unreliable. It is silly ( I mean the developers childish attitude) )to think that would be so easy to crossover to audio, including VST etc. Ableton attitude is way better, they included video that might be very basic but WORKS. Easy to promise customers everything and deliver beta forever. I appreciate more the common sense and modesty of Ableton, they try their best but have limited means.
Arkaos has the worst GUI I ever known, is dog to program, setup but it has best visual quality and is rock solid.
Grand is easy, specially for beginners while VJ Midi though pain to setup a show gives lots of advanced options, supports free frame and let me record live via firewire. The concept is of visual synth so easy to relate to.
Tried Resolume avenue, might revisit it after a year or more, whenever they fix their sh..., same with Grand, once they include what is missing from VJ midi might give it another try.
Some may find Module8 most suitable (Mac only). The pathetic situation on VJ soft market is due to the small size as compared to audio. So hard to seriously blame the developers, it is more about passion then money.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks for the info, rikhyray.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:59 am

Yea, the size of the market is the biggest problem. I still don't feel it has really settled into a few winner programs. There are big trade-offs with each, and most are buggy. Modul8 is nice and all, but you can't have MIDI control hardwired to each layer....only the layer that has focus. Lame. So we have to use Resolume, which had actually gotten pretty stable in version 2. We also used VJamm because it has the most accurate triggering, but it's expensive, controls are focus-only, buggy, etc. Also used Visual Jockey, VVVV, Isadora, Arkaos, Grid, Neuromixer, Motion Dive, and VDMX. It really depends on what you are looking for....there are big differences between them all and no clear winners.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:44 am

the basic thing i need is loading a bank of clips (via MIDI program change or whatever) and then trigger the clips using MIDI notes. at the moment i am using midivid, but it is very old, not comfortable to use and could be more reliable.
so i am mainly looking for a video sampler. but it could have some extras like freeframe fx, dv in, text generator (where the texts can be used like clips)...

i downloaded neonv2 and visualjockey gold (what a name!), because they are free (like midivid). any experiences ?
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Tweaking Knobs

Re: Arkaos or Resolume ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:21 pm

resolume definetively, if you are on a PC, if you are on mac you should ty modul8 or VDMX

Also processing is a real hot tool, not really for video mixing but to create awesome visual, real time,generative,applications etc...

Its coding but is really easy.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:22 am

Played around with Resolume Avenue on an 8 core Mac the other night. It is a big step up from Resolume 2! The audiovisual stuff is pretty off the hook. I'd say it's nearing the level of "Ableton Live of the VJ world". Crazy Germans once again!

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:12 am

Resolume Avenue will be pretty awesome once it's more stable and all the intended features are included. At the current development rate this may well be 6 months or more away, who knows.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 pm

ethios4 wrote: Crazy Germans once again!
Flying Dutchmen would be more accurate description