The Election Day Experience! Share your experience...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 pm

'MOST POPULAR STORIES NOW' from the BBC:

1. Historic US vote draws millions
2. Live Text: US election day 2008
3. US Election polltracker
4. Who will win the electoral college?
5. Lap dancers object to 'sex' label

I vote lap dancers.
..?

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 pm

pixelbox wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:I wrote in Jesus Christ. I can't sign my name to Obama (abortion) and I can't sign my name to McCain (War).
Why even bother voting? What a waste.

I actually think this okay... I obviously don't agree with the choice, but maybe the point is that we don't have to agree.

We all have issues that remain important to us, and that of course shapes our views and choices.

Again, I don't agree with the choice, but I do think its good that people don't have to vote for a listed presidential candidate if they do not want to elect any of them. I'm just happy to believe that Obama is the right candidate, but I can imagine the possibility of years to come where I might not like any of the candidates.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 pm

pixelbox wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:I wrote in Jesus Christ. I can't sign my name to Obama (abortion) and I can't sign my name to McCain (War).
Here in California we have propositions that are important for the citizens of this state. I always show up to vote on propositions. But since McCain is nuts and Obama is a hypocrite with his stance on abortion and his claim to be Christian, I refuse to vote for either of those creeps. How is it a waste than to not pick one evil over another?

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm

pixelbox wrote:

Yeah, if it goes down to the wire, McCain will prob claim all the Jesus votes anyway.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 pm

sparklepuff wrote: The only arguments I've seen against abortion are religious ones, and you can keep your fucking religion out of my laws.
Uh oh. Time to legalize rape, murder, theft, arson, perjury... Since they were moral laws before they were government laws.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 pm

elxicano wrote:
pixelbox wrote:

I actually think this okay... I obviously don't agree with the choice, but maybe the point is that we don't have to agree.

We all have issues that remain important to us, and that of course shapes our views and choices.

Again, I don't agree with the choice, but I do think its good that people don't have to vote for a listed presidential candidate if they do not want to elect any of them. I'm just happy to believe that Obama is the right candidate
IMO...
what Fizmarble is missing is that if he REALLY knew the issues he'd realize that neither Obama or McCain genuinely reflect his views, clearly he doesn't know ALL the issues.

take the "two sides of the same coin" crowd, that's their problem, they know too much. they don't like certain US policies (Israel for example) that won't change with any major party candidate. I get the impression that Fizmarble is at the other end of the spectrum.

(in my opinion, I don't know the guy, just ranting politics.)
but I can imagine the possibility of years to come where I might not like any of the candidates.
that is where the forum trolls have to attack the forum after the election. "oh look at what Obama did now!!! you idiots who voted for him are responsible for this!!"

ALL US presidents do shitty things, they're politicians FFS!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Fizmarble wrote:Obama is a hypocrite with his stance on abortion and his claim to be Christian
The less Christian he is the happier I am.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Fizmarble wrote:
pixelbox wrote:
Here in California we have propositions that are important for the citizens of this state. I always show up to vote on propositions. But since McCain is nuts and Obama is a hypocrite with his stance on abortion and his claim to be Christian, I refuse to vote for either of those creeps. How is it a waste than to not pick one evil over another?
Oh, but you voted for the propositions? And you voted for other positions on the ticket? I suppose that makes it a little better. However, while I do understand that neither candidate may not be the one you WANT to vote for, I still kinda think, in the terms of numbers and all, that it's still a waste. I mean, it was the same thing with Ross Perot or Ralph Nader...everyone knew they would not be elected, but some small percentage of the people voted for them anyway. I guess that is one way of voicing your stance, and at least you DID vote, but I wonder if voting for the sake of "making a statement" is really more important that choosing which of the two idiots will really be President. I mean, if J.C really was on the ballot, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, but he's not. Anyway, not trying to offend...
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:Obama is a hypocrite with his stance on abortion and his claim to be Christian
The less Christian he is the happier I am.
seriously. Fiz - what does separation of church and state mean to you? should you even be judging a candidate based on his religion?
(not written as sarcasm.)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
elxicano wrote:
pixelbox wrote: Why even bother voting? What a waste.

Again, I don't agree with the choice, but I do think its good that people don't have to vote for a listed presidential candidate if they do not want to elect any of them. I'm just happy to believe that Obama is the right candidate
IMO...
what Fizmarble is missing is that if he REALLY knew the issues he'd realize that neither Obama or McCain genuinely reflect his views, clearly he doesn't know ALL the issues.

take the "two sides of the same coin" crowd, that's their problem, they know too much. they don't like certain US policies (Israel for example) that won't change with any major party candidate. I get the impression that Fizmarble is at the other end of the spectrum.

but I can imagine the possibility of years to come where I might not like any of the candidates.
that is where the forum trolls have to attack the forum after the election. "oh look at what Obama did now!!! you idiots who voted for him are responsible for this!!"

Its just that my take on the argument is that its pointless because Fizmarble is using religion to decide matters not anything else. You can present the most reasonable and logical argument and they will not be swayed... but hey, we're all different and we all choose our battles.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 pm

pixelbox wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:
Oh, but you voted for the propositions? And you voted for other positions on the ticket? I suppose that makes it a little better. However, while I do understand that neither candidate may not be the one you WANT to vote for, I still kinda think, in the terms of numbers and all, that it's still a waste. I mean, it was the same thing with Ross Perot or Ralph Nader...everyone knew they would not be elected, but some small percentage of the people voted for them anyway. I guess that is one way of voicing your stance, and at least you DID vote, but I wonder if voting for the sake of "making a statement" is really more important that choosing which of the two idiots will really be President. I mean, if J.C really was on the ballot, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, but he's not. Anyway, not trying to offend...
or at least do some research and write in a third party candidate so they can get the 2% (or whatever) of the vote to qualify for federal funding at the next election.

either way... can't fault a guy for showing up to vote and being honest about an unpopular view on the forum.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
elxicano wrote:

IMO...

Sounds like a thinly veiled attack at my intelligence. I used to follow politics way too closely. I am assuming closer than you ever have (thinly veiled attack?) Now I have a much more apathetic approach because my faith ensures that no matter the president of this country, God's plan will be carried out. How then, can I complain about our sitting president? But I will have no part in electing a wicked man.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Fizmarble wrote:God's plan will be carried out.
See everyone? Stop feeding the troll.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:27 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:God's plan will be carried out.
See everyone? Stop feeding the troll.
That's the plan. The troll shall be fed.
Last edited by NorthernMonkey on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Fizmarble wrote:Sounds like a thinly veiled attack at my intelligence. I used to follow politics way too closely. I am assuming closer than you ever have (thinly veiled attack?) Now I have a much more apathetic approach because my faith ensures that no matter the president of this country, God's plan will be carried out. How then, can I complain about our sitting president? But I will have no part in electing a wicked man.
totally didn't mean to be an attack, it's just bad writing, I'm at work shooting off posts pretty quickly, your patience is noted by many, trust me on that one.

what about the separation of church and state? do you see value in that? what about the representation of other religions in your big picture and how their religion should affect their politics.

how did you vote on Prop 8?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz