Successfull installation of RamDisk with Live on Windows XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rhogben

Successfull installation of RamDisk with Live on Windows XP

Post by rhogben » Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:03 am

I setup RamDisk XP Pro on Windows XP Pro, created a 500mb RamDisk saved some samples to it, loaded up Live, set its temp file to the RamDisk, and loaded the samples from the RamDisk and it worked.

It's hard to visually see a performance increase, but when I loaded up a large bank of samples rewired Reason and messed around for a while it seemed to be more responsive, smoother and snapier.

Has anyone else had the same results with this? Does Ableton document this as a technique? Is there anyway I can see performance numbers?

I run "striped" raid arrays anyways so my hard disk performance is good, just wondering if I can get better.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:06 am

Thanks for posting - I wanted to see if anyone had found it worthwhile.

I'll try it and get back here.

e.

how to set up ramdisk in XP

Post by guest » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:45 am

Hi

could you tell us how to set up ramdisk in xp ,theres no mention about it
in help and support of xp

regards Kats

rhogben

Post by rhogben » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:19 pm

It is a third party application from:
http://www.superspeed.com/ramdisk.html
They have a few different versions, and demos are available. There are other apps out there but this is the one I tried, its ok.

ramdisk

Post by guest » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:20 am

Thank big Time

Kats

yon

Re: Successfull installation of RamDisk with Live on Windows XP

Post by yon » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:11 pm

rhogben wrote: It's hard to visually see a performance increase, but when I loaded up a large bank of samples rewired Reason and messed around for a while it seemed to be more responsive, smoother and snapier.
This should only have a significant impact on your
experience with Live under circumstances when
streaming many tracks from disk would have limited
your performance. On my desktop machine, I
can more or less double the number of stereo tracks
I can play back (to upwards of 40) this way.

-Yon

rhogben

Post by rhogben » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:56 pm

An update:

Here is a snapshot of my system:
Dual P3 850's
2 gigs of ram
C: Raid Array 1 (striped) 40gig
D: Raid Array 2 (striped) 120gig
Windows XP Pro

This system in this configuration has been running for about 4 months. Two days ago my C: drive (raid array 1) became massively corrupted. Now this could have just been a coincidence but I had just recently installed the RamDisk program.

It went down like this: I booted up the system and when it was finished and idling, the hard drive access light started going crazy for no apparent reason. The computer was non responsive, no ctrl-alt-del, nothing. Experience tells me this is usually a bad thing so I attempted a hard restart. When windows came back up it detected corruption which it attempted to "fix" which made the problem worse because each successive restart resulted in a blue screen. Check disk did not help the problem, safe mode blue screened, command prompt blue screened, attempting to reinstall the os blue screened once it came anywhere near the C: drive.

The only thing I could do to fix the problem was recreate my raid array 1 and reformat the C: drive which I have never had to do before because of corruption.

I run Norton 2002, it is updated daily, this was not some sort of virus. This is a development machine so I only run the bare essentials. The only new and untested thing I had installed was the RamDisk program.

The ony reason I am posting this was because just at that time I did not have a backup of my email which I lost in the process, fortunately I have my files of any importance on my other drive.

So I recomend backing up anything you have when using this software. Again this could have been something else, it might just not be compatible with my setup but be carefull.

Have a nice day!

ramdisk

Post by guest » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:12 pm

hi rh0gben

just for the future .
if major fuck up falls on your system ,first thing to do is to restart your PC
and after black screen comes up start pressing F8 AND FROM the option you will have go for " LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION"
it shoul bring your system to the state before problem started.
if that does not fix it , then try anything you can think of to try to save your system .Last thing you know what it is .Format the drive.
i know how painfull it is but well thats how we learn.
p.s.backing up your partitios is another secutity.
as far as RamDisk Concern i have tried it myself i did not see any difference,more then that it seemed to me that my audio software worked better from my SCSI hardDrive ,i think i"ve twicked my XP too well ,there are few good twicks for optimizing XP for best audio performance out there on the Net.

Good Luck
Kats

rhogben

Post by rhogben » Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:13 pm

Oh believe me I tried every trick in the book, when I entered, last known good configuration, I got the same blue screen error, this was very very very bad corruption across the entire drive maybe even some low level areas.

And when I was done trying I even sat there for about 45 minutes to an hour trying to think of more things to do, I even tried hooking up an additional drive and boot to it and try to scan the corrupted drive for any saved info, that sort of worked but when the os tried to read the corrupted drive it would... blue screen.

The only thing I've learned is not to install untested software on a development machine. Im getting better at this, thats why I have a seperate system. But the RamDisk program seemed ok after all it was written for XP they say... :P