All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:39 am 

Hmm. It is weird that it started two weeks in. I have the RP8s and I have no problems whatsoever (just recorded another mix set with no problems). Clean sound, no buzz, no problems. If it's a severe buzz, maybe you can get it serviced.

Again, if it IS a ground loop problem (and it may not be), that is NOT KRK's fault. That's not something they can solve because they can't predict the problems that people might've encountered in their unique studio set up. I don't know if I was clear enough in my previous post, but ground loops can happen to anyone, anywhere, with any gear, regardless of cost. Should all that expensive gear in the studio that I mentioned have been insulated against fridge noise? Because, goddammit, they paid all that money, so it should be fridge hum proof!! Of course not, because the designer can't predict every variable in a setup.

Also, adding a ground lift CAN color your sound (some people swear it does, I've never noticed a difference) so they might've been trying to avoid that since the point of monitors is true sound. So a built-in ground lift is not necessarily a solution from a design point of view.

In short, you can keep discussing this with me, or you can try a ground loop, or you can try to get your money back or you can try to get them serviced. Those are basically your options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:54 am 

KRKs are good monitors in my experience of 22 years recording experience and are used by some top studio engineers as nearfields.

Although in a smaller room, I would go for the 5's over the 8's.

The Rubicons are also pretty good for their money. As are the Mackie's mentioned, Dynaudios and Alp 5's.

The BX5a's are also good and some people like the Blue Sky 2.1 monitors.

Try and test a few. And btw, defective models can and do happen, sounds like that is the case with the like 5, I've used KRKs plenty of times in 3 or 4 locations and always got on well with them.

For a bit more Adam A7's and the cheapest Gennies are great but they are significantly more money.

http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:49 am 

I had a pair of KRK RP5G2 for testing in my studio and kicked them out immediatly. Now i have a pair of Adam A5 and cannot believe what i hear...they're amazing...!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am 

esky wrote:
I had a pair of KRK RP5G2 for testing in my studio and kicked them out immediately. Now i have a pair of Adam A5 and cannot believe what i hear...they're amazing...!!!

God damn it!!!!!! Thanks a lot esky you got me thinking about the Adam A5s now!! are they really that much better in your opinion? Does anybody agree?

Thanks guys, I'm getting closer to a decision. If I didn't live on an island that was very limited as far as studio hardware is concerned I would have gone and tested these monitors for myself, but, I can't so I really do appreciate all the help and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:26 am 

Never liked the KRKs, to mid range for me, my mixes would have ZERO midrange if I used them!

I like my Rubicon 5a's but after being abused by me over the years, I've blown a woofer and a ribbon, so I don't recommend them. The Adam 5" monitors are what I would get if I wasn't broke now. It's been two months since I ordered a replacement speaker from Sam Ash....... blah!

Ribbon tweeters are it though. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:27 am 

I use the Rubicons with a KRK subwoofer. If I was you I would get the Adams. and eventually get a sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 am 

Thanks Machinesworking (and esky) I think I'm going to go with the Adam A5s. All I've heard is good things about them.

Again I've really appreciated all the advice and help, I've made up my mind and the Adam A5 Studio Monitors it is!! :D

ahhh happy dayz I've just gone dual screen and just been given my Dad's old phone which is VERY nice btw, Christmas has come early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:08 pm 

Anyway...listen to the Adams before you buy them, selecting a monitor is very much about personal taste. In my case i need a speaker that sounds good a low levels . The A5 are here for testing, i have three weeks to decide...:-). But i'm pretty sure i'll keep them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:55 pm 

esky wrote:
Anyway...listen to the Adams before you buy them

I would but
Stace wrote:
If I didn't live on an island that was very limited as far as shops that sell studio hardware is concerned I would have gone and tested these monitors for myself, but, I can't so I really do appreciate all the help and advice.