i have 200 dollars. Should i buy an Abe inst or 3rd party?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Gyu

Post by Gyu » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:40 pm

another plus one for Zebra 2. It's brilliant. Easy to do simple things but as deep as the ocean if you want. I rarely use any other synths.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome replies.

i'm downloading demo's of all the mentioned instruments. It seems like Zebra 2 is at the head of the pack, so i'm excited for it to live up to the hype.

Does anyone have an opinion on the novations X-synth? I'm currently using an old GNX 3000 as my Audio Interface, so i thought that might be two birds with one stone to upgrade that. The hardware part appeals to me as well. No cpu, take it standalone to a gig, etc.

here's a youtube vid for the top 10 synths according to computer music mag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epyjrwSR ... re=related
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Jekblad wrote: Does anyone have an opinion on the novations X-synth?
Hi, I have the X-Station 61.. I really like it for what it is, keyboard controller/audio soundcard with FX and phantom power plus synth. It is well built, has decent keys, lots of faders and knobs to map out to.. Battery/USB/mains powered. The synth side is pretty ok, not Nord, Dave smith etc level but useable. I record the synth directly into an audio track in Live via USB.. couldn't be simpler! For me it is really nice to have a synth that can be used free from the computer.. not only just to mess about on, but one that can go into a track with sounding garbage... I'm not using the soundcard at all, but it works pretty well from what i've seen and heard from others... It also has aftertouch.. So yeah, all in all, a good hands on piece of kit!

Best

Hd

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Again Zebra 2. Tis the best if you only have one. So many uses.

Also look at Sylenth1 for a dirtier sound. forget the abe ones. They are good but if you only have one to choose from then go hunting some zebra!

Ableton Integration my arse! Zebra is as integrated and stable as any of the ableton synths and its not stuck down the bottom of the screen like Hugh Heffners grey lad!

Zebra 2 does everything from FM to VA and has built in delays effects reverb etc and this will make a big difference to your overall sound.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Yet another Zebra 2 recommendation. Definitely. I love Imposcar too, if you want a more straight up VA style.. and I'm also partial to a bit of Massive for some reason, tho it's CPU usage is *eek* ! Go for Zebra 2 man, you won't regret it 8)

*EDIT* Ohh.. looks like you don't have Sampler.. hard choice. I would get Sampler or Zebra.. for sure, both amazing tools mate !

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Everyone seems to be suggesting the Zebra 2. To be different, I would suggest checking out any of the arturia soft synths. I like just about all of their emulations. I think they might still have the buy one and get two synths deal. Another choice might be the Circle synth which has OSC support.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Is Zebra in an another league compared to say albino and blue?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 pm

First of all, before spending money, check out a few free synths that are surprisingly awesome and up to par with many payware synths.

-Alphakanal's AUTOMAT
-Green Oak CRYSTAL
-TAL BASELINE (TAL also have another analog type synth which sounds good too, plus some great effects)
-ZebraCM (Just pick up an issue of computer music magazine - it's on every one)

Those synths alone will get you in a similar ballpark to reason synths and they all sound great.

Beyond that, I'd have to agree with Zebra2 for maximum flexibility. And the up-coming Alchemy from Camel will be a monster too.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:40 pm

+1 more on Zebra2 And the up-coming Alchemy from Camel Audio
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:38 pm

I've got the demo's and such.

So far the fav is Zebra 2. Synplant is cool, but a lot more fun when you're not looking for something in specific.

Also thanks for the freebie's! I already had crystal and automat, but the TAL ones (the fx) are pretty cool. I like the tube saturation over live's saturator for sure. I'm looking for a copy of CM magazine but haven't got one yet. Maybe ZebraCM will keep me afloat for awhile and I can spend this money on microphones or booze/women/drugs.

Thanks for all the help guys, and i'll let you know the final decision.

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:15 pm

You should definitely buy Operator from me :lol:

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 pm

The Live Suite might not be perfect, but I don't think an upgrade would cost much more than $200USD and you get a lot of bang for your bucks. Worth considering.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:04 pm

319 for the download upgrade....

but i could really use session drums and the EIC..... I do a lot of standard rock music on top of electronic crap, and i'm tired of reason drums and the orchester sound bank.
These are only availabe with the boxed version which is 439.

It is worth thinking about...

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Also try testing out the KikAxxe from Way Out Ware. It sounds pretty awesome, it's really simple to mess with, and it's only $50 if you got it thru Musician's friend.com...

These fuckers reviewed it:

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/pro ... e-kikaxxe/
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm

aisling wrote:Is Zebra in an another league compared to say albino and blue?
Yes, a much much better league. I personally think Papen's synths are way over-rated myself. Ditto Operator, it's 'ok', but not all that IMO, effects and rack or not.