[ot] 40 facts about sleep you probably didn't know..

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Sleep Tyght

Re: [ot] 40 facts about sleep you probably didn't know..

Post by Sleep Tyght » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:20 am

Take it from me...

If you're any good at lucid dreaming then it's OKAY to shoot a few people during your dreams of robbing a bank.

All I know is my guns never run out of bullets....or flames.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:25 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:Take it from me...

If you're any good at lucid dreaming then it's OKAY to shoot a few people during your dreams of robbing a bank.

All I know is my guns never run out of bullets....or flames.

Tell us some more about your lucid dreaming...is it natural or did you work at it?

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:41 am

I still don't know how it works. I usually just tell myself, "Tonight I'm going to know when I'm dreaming." It just works.

I read once that when you try to fly but keep falling, it means you're afraid at failing in life. When I'm lucid dreaming I tell myself that I can succeed at ANYTHING...and I keep flying. The truth is the more you concentrate on KNOWING that it's only a dream, the easier it is for you to wake up. You'll be pissed!

I wish I could stay asleep longer when I'm lucid dreaming. Usually when I shoot a flame from my hands, or I'm actually smutting a chick who's waaaaaaaay out of my league...yeah that's when I know the shit isn't real, and I'm ultimately forced to wake up to reality.

Sometimes you WANT to wake up but you can't. I had a dream that Jason from Friday The 13th was chasing my ass across an ice pond, and he managed to cut off my legs. I kept running on stumps. I knew I was lucid dreaming because I was running a little too fast on nothing but my upper thighs. Man I've had some seriously fucked up dreams in my lifetime.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 am

When I was in highschool I use to try all kinds of things to lucid dream. I use to concentrate on checking my watch and then rechecking. I even did this when I knew I was awake. If the times change then I knew I was dreaming. I got as far as realizing i was dreaming but would wake up instantly, i must have done this 100 times.

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 am

So what does lucid dream actually mean? Is it that you remember your dreams or that you're able to control your dreams?
Every time we sleep we've dreams but we only remember the special ones, e.g. nightmares.
So before going to sleep you can recapitulate what you've done over the day, like visualizing the day in quick motion. You can start the time you've awoke until the moment you're laying in your bed or you can do it backwards. And by no means does it have to be complete..
If you do this some regions in your brain will be activated and you're going to remember all your dreams (and days). It's fun to do..
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

DorphonDalfir

Post by DorphonDalfir » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 am

Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can reset the brain's sleep-wake clock.

Maybe an evolutionary trait inherited from our ancestors sleeping outside and being woken by the sun shining on the back of their legs?

Tried countless times - even with the help of Hemisync exercises - to lucid dream, but have never managed to by will. When it does occur though, it's awesome.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 am

aqua_tek wrote:NECROBUMP, BITCHES!

man I've been suffering from horrible insomnia lately. Can't find a way to get some shuteye until 5 or 6 am, then either end up sleeping all the way up til 2 PM and wasting my day, or succeeding in my effort to wake up not so late but feeling like utter shit the rest of the day.

Been trying to avoid sleeping pills... but I may need to pop a pair for a few nights while my sleep schedule settles into something proper.

YAY or NAY?
Why horrible insomnia? You DJ, dont you? I dont think it is healthy to be "sleep deprived" or rescheduled few times a week (gig nights),much better having regular "shifted clock". On the nights when you dont work just do some studio stuff. I switched to the regular "shifted clock/cycle" few years back while working in Jose Luis Cortes (NG La Banda) studio in Habana, since that was how those people worked, if they had earlier (matinee or early evening) gig they would go directly to studio, 6am was regular closing time. Clever too since, Jose Luis hires the studio to outsiders during the day, so it is full 24 use. After that project when I got home, continued that way and meanwhile it became a habit.
Except for doing some film, jingle-session musician studio jobs, I cant recall even single time recording something valuable in a studio during the day, going into the studio at 10 or 12 but it would be earliest after 6pm that music that would make it to record be done. Before that -getting the sound right, discussing, writing parts etc but seems like the performance feel comes to most people later at night.
It is important to let everyone know so that dont bother you but most civilised people know that you dont call musicians before 11 and DJs before 1 pm.
Actually some bitch did call me @ 10am today, that is how (I am pissed, f... and irritated) your post caught my attention.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

rikhyray wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:NECROBUMP, BITCHES!

man I've been suffering from horrible insomnia lately. Can't find a way to get some shuteye until 5 or 6 am, then either end up sleeping all the way up til 2 PM and wasting my day, or succeeding in my effort to wake up not so late but feeling like utter shit the rest of the day.

Been trying to avoid sleeping pills... but I may need to pop a pair for a few nights while my sleep schedule settles into something proper.

YAY or NAY?
I cant recall even single time recording something valuable in a studio during the day, going into the studio at 10 or 12 but it would be earliest after 6pm that music that would make it to record be done. Before that -getting the sound right, discussing, writing parts etc but seems like the performance feel comes to most people later at night.
It is important to let everyone know so that dont bother you but most civilised people know that you dont call musicians before 11 and DJs before 1 pm.
Actually some bitch did call me @ 10am today, that is how (I am pissed, f... and irritated) your post caught my attention.
Just to offer a counter example, Nick Cave gets up at 8am puts his suit on and goes to the studio or his writting room until 5pm each day then goes home to his wife and kids. Music need not be nocturnal. Then again heres a quote from Genesis P Orridge on the subject
Genesis P Orridge wrote:«Yes, that's because all the stupid people are asleep and they don't blanket you with their negative energy. You see, round about eight or nine o'clock you start to feel deadened because they're all getting up and rushing around generating all this useless energy. All the stupid people going to work and then in the evening about five or six o'clock, they all come home and start to watch the television, then it gets a bit better, you feel more (the creative people) start to feel better. And as they are all going to sleep around eleven o'clock, you start to get ideas. Midnight till four they're all fast asleep and you get really good ideas. I think it's just the blanket of their negative energy eating up all the positive energy in the daytime. That's why the nighttime's the best time to work. So it's alright to sleep in late, you know, go to bed late and stay asleep in the morning because you can't do anything anyway, because all the stupid people are rushing about and getting in the way.
To the guy talking about his dreaming dog, I take it you've seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA Seriously funny shit

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Big V wrote:So what does lucid dream actually mean? Is it that you remember your dreams or that you're able to control your dreams?
Specifically, it means neither. Of course it helps if you can remember them afterwards :) -- but lucid dreams are dreams in which you know you're dreaming. Thus you are in a (usually quite vivid) state of wakefulness inside the dream. Controlling the content of the dream, other than to the extent of knowing that you're currently dreaming, is not a prerequisite for a dream to be "lucid". Some people choose to control lucid dreams consciously a lot, I tend to take the route of "oh man, everything I'm experiencing right now is a dream, let's just observe what's going on around here."

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:40 pm

DorphonDalfir wrote:Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can reset the brain's sleep-wake clock.

Maybe an evolutionary trait inherited from our ancestors sleeping outside and being woken by the sun shining on the back of their legs?

Tried countless times - even with the help of Hemisync exercises - to lucid dream, but have never managed to by will. When it does occur though, it's awesome.

Believe it or not, there has been, and are, numerous scientific studies that are aimed at discovering the actual location of the conscious mind. It is by no means proved that "conscious reality" exists within the brain itself or what exact linear role and placement the brain itself plays in the process of discerning reality. That's something that has merely been taken for granted. Reality itself is so scientifically unknown, we don't even honestly understand neural impulses at all other than how we have learned to measure them. EVERYTHING within what is reality is based on perceptive interpretation. The interpretation of perception is based on learned filters that our realities are sifted through as we receive sensory input. Some of these filters are internal systematic recognition filters and some are highly refined applied external filters. Math is one such external filter and is certainly the best tool science has within OUR common understanding to prove and disprove "scientific law". Tiny, tiny, tiny, we are so fucking tiny.