How do you like Ableton's look and feel?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you like Ableton's flat UI style, or do you prefer controls that look like hardware?

Flat, minimal controls like exist now
89%
Realistic controls like in Reason
2%
Something else entirely
10%

Total votes: 114

AaronShaver

How do you like Ableton's look and feel?

Post by AaronShaver » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Personally, I like the "realistic" look that apps like Reason have, with real-looking knobs and sliders. But I wonder what everyone else thinks.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm

I have never understood the fixation people have with things having to look "Real".. :roll:
Its a computer for fuck sake!!!
I'm also half convinced that in the world of virtual recording studios most people end up listening with their eyes.
This is a big part of the many reasons i love using logic and live.
The others are all based on what i am able to do with them, not what they look like...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Do not. Do not. Do not change the graphical profile of Live. It's great. There are UI quirks, like an awful lot being cramped into Analog, but the general look is brilliant.

No three-dee, please!

.m

966sf

Post by 966sf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Reason doesn't look that real at all anyway. UIs should be simple and easy to work with. Ableton isn't perfect, but it's one of cleanest, simplest GUIs in the game.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

koneyn

Post by koneyn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Surely one of the best things about Live is it's look! I mean, why would I need a 3D knob, it looks stupid and it's much less convenient to use.

The GUI is absolutely perfect as it is now!
http://www.myspace.com/koneyn
>> free downloads, complete with artwork

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

As long as shit works, that's all that matters!
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm

FLAT and MINIMALISTIC, TECHNICAL, CLEAN, SIMPLE yeah, thanks to ableton and there great, great design. (another great design aspect is: two views only!!! keep it this way, please!!!)

and that is actually a big surprise being germans and having taste... :lol:

i hate that tasteless toy design like reason, cubase and other rubish. and pop up window terror... damn.

if they ever get away from there minimalistic simple coloured design... i know where they are working.... LOL
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Cue Robert Henke:

"Then you have to emulate the noise of the fans of the devices too. So that you have to turn up the volume to drown out the noise of your equipment"

I'm paraphrasing, but thats the gist of it. :wink:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm

another vote to keep things as they are

glitchrock-buddha

Re: How do you like Ableton's look and feel?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:58 pm

NinthAgenda wrote:Personally, I like the "realistic" look that apps like Reason have, with real-looking knobs and sliders. But I wonder what everyone else thinks.
You'll definitely never win people over in this regard around here. Most people do really like the minimal non-hardware look, and was also part of the philosophy behind the ableton design.

I quite like the way it looks, though I wouldn't mind some more interesting color schemes and textures.
Professional Shark Jumper.

SubFunk

Re: How do you like Ableton's look and feel?

Post by SubFunk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:02 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
NinthAgenda wrote:Personally, I like the "realistic" look that apps like Reason have, with real-looking knobs and sliders. But I wonder what everyone else thinks.
You'll definitely never win people over in this regard around here. Most people do really like the minimal non-hardware look, and was also part of the philosophy behind the ableton design.

I quite like the way it looks, though I wouldn't mind some more interesting color schemes and textures.
for my taste, opposite... it could be even more technical... simpler.

so people learn to rely on there ears more then there eyes. (i really mean that, all the fancy GUIs and fancy meterings do mess up the ability to learn how to listen and to trust your ears)
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Homebelly wrote: This is a big part of the many reasons i love using logic
Whaa? Logic has some of the most goofy looking fake-plastic-spaceship-orb looking things around. If you didn't know it was music software you'd think the user was trying to solve some kind of fancy Rubik's Cube puzzle or something.

This is what's going to be interesting about the Serato partnership. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the "What does our crossfader look like?" meeting. :)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Don't touch that dial.. Even if it is flat and minimalistic..

I love it just the way it is!

Hd

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
Homebelly wrote: This is a big part of the many reasons i love using logic
Whaa? Logic has some of the most goofy looking fake-plastic-spaceship-orb looking things around. If you didn't know it was music software you'd think the user was trying to solve some kind of fancy Rubik's Cube puzzle or something.

This is what's going to be interesting about the Serato partnership. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the "What does our crossfader look like?" meeting. :)

8O i think you mix logic with cubase... then i do agree.

and serato is the worst nightmare in design around, i hope that the partnership will be clear at that point ableton supplies 50 of the technology and 100% the design and that the serato designer is going to loose his job!

maybee he can work on doing shop windows for the connexion berlin :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

Johnny Beat

Post by Johnny Beat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Looks stylish as it is now in my opinion. I really like it.