ableton live 7 how to omit noise like sound forge does?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
g000fy

ableton live 7 how to omit noise like sound forge does?

Post by g000fy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:26 am

is there a way to get rid of the background noise like sound forge does?

i mean im recording vocals and i can and see the noise when i press record and im not even talking.

i have my record levels set correct.

im just in a room with computers and sound forge had a nice record feature that learns the regular background noise and when you goto record its not even in the track so i dont have to try and remove it like i am now.

im thinking ableton live 7 dont have it so what do you all use to get rid of it?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 am

Live comes with a Gate audio effect.

drop it in and set the input threshold just above the level of the noise, to taste.

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 am

thanks for quick reply.

im using the demo do you know if it has it with it?
what is the exact name of the gate?

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:48 am

i bet the demo dont come with it.

man that feature in SF was nice to.

dont it actually analyse the ambient sounds and automatically subtract that sound before you even start recording or does it do it the same way abletone and the gate does....just clip out a whole range of freq above a certain freq (input threshhold you are talking about with live)

isnt that like a hack n slash aproach instead of a surgical approach?

Chang

Re: ableton live 7 how to omit noise like sound forge does?

Post by Chang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:16 am

g000fy wrote:is there a way to get rid of the background noise like sound forge does?

i mean im recording vocals and i can and see the noise when i press record and im not even talking.

i have my record levels set correct.

im just in a room with computers and sound forge had a nice record feature that learns the regular background noise and when you goto record its not even in the track so i dont have to try and remove it like i am now.

im thinking ableton live 7 dont have it so what do you all use to get rid of it?

Get Ferrite beads on your gear, C'mon. Beyond newb 101.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:19 am

im just following the tuts (Lessons that came with live) i havent got to any that covered this yet.

is there one?

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:27 am

g000fy wrote:im just following the tuts (Lessons that came with live) i havent got to any that covered this yet.

is there one?
Yes, your room is probably crap. (Sorry drunk) The foul dogcrap you record and can get rid of in Soundforge is the same junk-noise you record in live. If you try ferrite you probably don't need any program to get rid of noise to begin with. Google ferrite. Gate is bad advice as the garbage when noise hits is still there when your gate is open giving you tons of unwanted multiplied noise on tracks smashing your noise floor and smearing your audio.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 am

Chang wrote:Yes, your room is probably crap. (Sorry drunk) The foul dogcrap you record and can get rid of in Soundforge is the same junk-noise you record in live. If you try ferrite you probably don't need any program to get rid of noise to begin with. Google ferrite. Gate is bad advice as the garbage when noise hits is still there when your gate is open giving you tons of unwanted multiplied noise on tracks smashing your noise floor and smearing your audio.
Ferrite will transform your audio frequencies to liquid gold. However, ferrite will only help in conjunction with some audio resonators placed strategically in your room.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 am

ok, don't play games with the new user. Ther is no similar feature for noise-reduction in live. Get into a silent room for recording. No other way for making quality-recordings.

Chang

Post by Chang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 am

8O wrote:
Chang wrote:Yes, your room is probably crap. (Sorry drunk) The foul dogcrap you record and can get rid of in Soundforge is the same junk-noise you record in live. If you try ferrite you probably don't need any program to get rid of noise to begin with. Google ferrite. Gate is bad advice as the garbage when noise hits is still there when your gate is open giving you tons of unwanted multiplied noise on tracks smashing your noise floor and smearing your audio.
Ferrite will transform your audio frequencies to liquid gold. However, ferrite will only help in conjunction with some audio resonators placed strategically in your room.

Good advice, very good, good. But from other people on forum to be quite honest is ridiculous. The general feeling I see is that it is the programs fault for everything. If only program could have 10,000 MIDI cc, then I could be Depeche Mode/Prodigy. Meanwhile green kid doesn't know what makes noise go away in his bedroom. Must be joke.

monobeach

Post by monobeach » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 am

you should not see any noise, when you don't talk into your mic.

either you have some ground hum, or - more likely - there is something wrong with your gain settings

you can use the "gate" under "audio effects"

from the manual, p. 285:
The Gate effect passes only signals whose level exceeds a user-specifed threshold. A gate
can eliminate low-level noise that occurs between sounds (e.g., hiss or hum)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am

using those kind of noise reduction effects will colour the sound too much and are more useful for cleaning up more functional recordings like VO for video or something where clarity of spoken word is more important than quality of the sound, but if you're trying to record music where the aesthetics of it matter then you'll only regret the 'record with all the shit then strip it off with noise reduction' method, it's like trying to restore an oil painting by throwing acid on it

go to a bit of effort to create a dead space around the mic, either just put some cushions around the mic itself, create a small area with quilts/mattresses etc - try and insulate the mic from the noise and room ambience, then as tone deft suggested you could try the gate plug-in to remove the noise from the parts where there is no vocal, just be careful not to set the threshold high enough that you lose quiet parts of the vocal

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:02 pm

If you record in a quiet environment and your technical setup is okay ( no ground loops etc... ) a bit of noise might even be a benefit for the recording, it adds live to it. As forge said, all those noise reduction tools often do more harm to the sound then good. I would even be conservative with the use of gates. That sudden on/off might be more annoying then a constant noise floor. And in doubt, it is easier to draw some careful volume automation to get a cleaner mix. Gates came from the times where dozens of noisy signals went into a large console and there were no other means to control the input. In times of drawing volume automations they are not so much needed anymore.

Rob.

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:45 pm

wow lots of information :) thats a good thing.

yea my room has TONS of noise....i have 3 PSU`s (with fans in them) 2 of the PSU`s are in 2 computers with the side panels off and the 3rd psu is sitting on the floor powering 4 hard drives in a raid0 that are also on the floor outside the computer case with a 5 1/4" radio shack fan directly in front of them also on the floor.

then i have 2 8800gts G92s in one of my boxes and also a zalman 9700 cnps and in that same box i have 2 more smaller fans.

i know my room makes alot of noise but when i was testing out sound forge that little tic that i checked on took all that out....i forget the exact name but its already after you bring up the record settings then its a check you tic on or off.....it worked surprisingly well so i was just thinking there might be something like that for live!

oh on top of that im just using the audigy LS and a regular computer mic stand....yes i know this is all crap but sound forge did make it sound like 20x better then not having that little app running that reduces those noises.

i love ableton live (im not knocking it) i just wish it could do the same thing (analyze the ambient sounds) and subtract those noises automatically while actually recording.

so there is nothing like that for live even for a VST?

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Adobe soundbooth has better noise removing tools than soundforge and is quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.adobe.com/products/soundbooth/

Good kit.

Live isn't built as an audio editor, which is what you need for this sort of thing.

The real solution, (and the cheapest) is simply not to record in that room at all, get a longer lead for your mic and headphones.