dell xps m1530 experiences

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kuniklo

dell xps m1530 experiences

Post by kuniklo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Anybody have any experience running Live 7 on a Dell M1530 under Vista, either 32 bit or 64 bit?

apalomba

Post by apalomba » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:56 pm

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I am in the market to
get a new dell laptop as well.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:03 am

I've tried running Live 7 on a couple of other Vista machines and the UI gets really jumpy once the load goes up a bit, as other people have reported here.

After this I'm pretty hesitant to consider any PC that I can't downgrade to XP.

Erick M

Post by Erick M » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Ive had my 1530 since feb and its run amazingly since then. Ive had one crash and that was because i overloaded live with about 8 instances of kore and 10 instances of massive so understandably it shutdown.

Vista has run extremely well, but due to the fact im running with no graphical enhancements and under the 98 skin. Ive used it live twice with quite a few tracks playing and alot of live effects using my bcr and kore2 controller and only ever got to about 25% cpu usage. 2 gigs of ram and 2.2ghz dual core with alright battery life (maybe an hour and a half at full with the smaller battery] Im very happy with it, i could of held off until now to get one as i didnt use it much when i initially bought it, but it runs better then the macbook i got from school and thats a 2.0ghz dual core. My dell weighs less and has a bigger screen then my brick of a macbook.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Interesting. You're running Vista on it, I assume? From what I've read on this board Live actually performs *worse* without the Aero Glass stuff turned on. This hasn't been the case for you?

Erick M

Post by Erick M » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 pm

It runs much worse for me with any of the basic vista gui stuff. Run fantastic with the boring 98 look with all special stuff turned off. I dont mind the look however. Ive gotten away with running 12 instances of massive all on high quality with more then one voice on each instance along with drum racks with glitched up beats and ive gotten to about 60 -70% usage. It only starts to become a problem around 85-90% but that rarely happens for me since i like to bounce alot of my sounds to wav for more tweaking.XPS series are a good set of laptops. 1530 has a nice size monitor, the 13" is waay to small for me. Hope this helps.

-Erick

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the info. Good to know. I wish I could try one out for a week or something.

apalomba

Post by apalomba » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Good to know, I was debating on getting the Studio 1535 or an XPS 1530.
I think I am leaning towards the XPS. Erik, what kind of audio interface
are you using?

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm

I just confirmed this morning that Live runs ok on my bootcamp vista partition *if* Aero is enabled. Otherwise the ui becomes very very sluggish. I guess that confirms what other people have posted here although it sounds like this isn't completely universal.

Erick M

Post by Erick M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:56 am

Im using a fast track pro which i have had no problems with ever. Seems people hate them and have a lot of problems. I get about 8ms latency with it and about 34ms with my onboard soundcard which i have used live with no problems.

Erick M

Post by Erick M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 am

Im using a fast track pro which i have had no problems with ever. Seems people hate them and have a lot of problems. I get about 8ms latency with it and about 34ms with my onboard soundcard which i have used live with no problems.

Erick M

Post by Erick M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 am

oops double post

angryman

Re: dell xps m1530 experiences

Post by angryman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:34 am

kuniklo wrote:Anybody have any experience running Live 7 on a Dell M1530 under Vista, either 32 bit or 64 bit?
I have and i didn't enjoy it.

I formatted the machine MP1730 and disabled all the crap i didn't need i.e.all the wireless shit all the performance metering leds etc. Loaded all the custom drivers needed and XP Pro and it was a very nice machine in fact i would recommend it for a music DAW. The MP 1530 is not as powerful but i would think more suited to a DAW . Just make sure its not got the SLI variation as mine was. With SLI in the Laptop it must be powered all the time by powerpoint otherwise the screen will flicker. There was nothing in the manual about this by the way but when i rand Dell they told me it was nothing to worry about but a well known "inconvenience" of having the SLI option which was tripe as you can choose to enable or SLI and the flicker stays either way. But either way a very powerful machine and rock solid once you tweak it.

Hope that gives you some insight. :)

angryman

Post by angryman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:00 am

Also vista sucks ass.

In fact i'll second that with Microsoft licks bowel as well.

I have bought three versions of XP for three different machines and along the way I rebuild my PCs and reformat that many times trying to find the most stable environment for a DAW that microsoft decided to stop letting me try to activate my machines because they said it had been done too many times and that i would have to pursue it with administration as well as insinuating that i was using their products illegally.

Now i can tell you that was the Divining Fuck Up of all time on their part as i had spent a lot of money on their products not just OS's ,the office suites , Flight Sims, etc.. Now i know this wont be popular but its my opinion and how i feel so here it is. They are the only company of pirated software i condone!

I use a version made by someone i don't know who called LEO XP you can google it and it is like a XP/Vista/Leopard Hybrid . It is rock solid runs lean and looks great better than Vista and has a heap of very usefull features and Live runs like super mean on it. Best OS i have ever used and easiest to use .

Vista never got it right and never will it is too bloated and its aim is to counteract any freedom you would like to have over how you would like to use your machine and replace it with a convoluted system of misinformation and buggy drivers /less than stable OS and antipiracy measures (that tell my wifes PC that has legit Vista on it that it isn't legit every two to three months and locks her out ) that don't work correctly after what nearly 3 years.

I don't know any DAW builders that would choose VISTA if the customer asked them to choose a stable system to run their music software/souncard drivers/ and actually enjoy using the computer. Vista..Its a joke!

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:42 pm

I sometimes feel hostage to Apple and Microsoft's agendas too. It's obvious they both care a lot more about sucking up to the RIAA and the MPAA than they do about empowering their creative users.

I think about switching to Linux sometimes. Maybe if I get more comfortable in Renoise I'll do it.