Quitting my inofficial job as Ableton's Vista support guy?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djsynchro
Posts: 7471
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Here's my unofficial Vista support for you:

1: Uninstall Vista
2: Install XP
3: Wait for Windows 7 or start saving for a Mac

:D

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

djsynchro wrote:Here's my unofficial Vista support for you:

1: Uninstall Vista
2: Install XP
3: Wait for Windows 7 or start saving for a Mac

:D
Here's my unofficial Life support for you:

1: Uninstall Life
2: Install Death
3: Wait for Afterlife or start saving for Reincarnation

:D :twisted:
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Blame the internet! ;) When I decided upon using unofficial or inofficial I asked dict.cc and it told me that inofficial exists. <shrug>

inoffiziell (german)

off the record
inofficial {adj}
unofficial {adj}
nonofficial {adj}
inofficially {adv}
unofficially {adv}
non-official {adj}
nonofficially {adv}
non-officially {adv}
unacknowledged {adj}

Leo's dictionary tell us: inofficial adj. rare

So it seems as if inofficial is not wrong, but rare, which is another nice allegory. :P ;)
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11118
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:48 pm

Crash wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:.... blah! We've been over all this! Basically Software this complex is never perfect, there's always room for improvement, and bugs do exist.
Obviously we have not been all over this, because I repeatedly stated that I do not ask for the impossible by requesting "perfect" software. I know it's complex.

I am asking for proper support (and some better Quality Assurance to begin with to keep the hassle away from Support in the first place).

Anyway, Support finally begins to tell people a part of Vista related GUI problems. Guess we can expect a shiney pay-for update with "Incredibly great Vista enhancements" on the first anniversary of the issues report in January. That is when german/european warranty laws will come in effect.
It's hilarious how this plays out. I say, hey you ask for bug free software which is near impossible in the DAW world, and you come back denying that you do, then dogging on Ableton for not having proper Q&A and proper support. EXACTLY why people get frustrated with you right there in one post. :wink:

Tone Deft
Posts: 23673
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Crash wrote:Blame the internet! ;) When I decided upon using unofficial or inofficial I asked dict.cc and it told me that inofficial exists. <shrug>

inoffiziell (german)

off the record
inofficial {adj}
unofficial {adj}
nonofficial {adj}
inofficially {adv}
unofficially {adv}
non-official {adj}
nonofficially {adv}
non-officially {adv}
unacknowledged {adj}

Leo's dictionary tell us: inofficial adj. rare

So it seems as if inofficial is not wrong, but rare, which is another nice allegory. :P ;)
OK, I see more clearly what people are griping about...

native English speakers tell you that 'innofficial' isn't a word, you laugh it off and blame the internet but still stand by it being a great choice in words.

it is a word, and I think that was the first time I've ever come across it.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Machinesworking wrote:It's hilarious how this plays out. I say, hey you ask for bug free software which is near impossible in the DAW world, and you come back denying that you do, then dogging on Ableton for not having proper Q&A and proper support. EXACTLY why people get frustrated with you right there in one post. :wink:
Ok, simplyfied:

1. Realistically I don`t expect complex software to ship bugfree, albeit it should be as bugfree as possible
2. Live 7 shipped when every betatester knew it was too early.
3. Some issues/bugs are so blantantly obvious (huge CPU load on Vista Classic) that it makes you wonder wether there has even been QA on that part of Live.
4. I expect bugs to be reproduced and acknowledged by Support after a detailed report.
5. I expect Support to publish acknowledged bugs in order to save their customers/users from stumbling over them beforehand.
6. I expect acknowledged bugs to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Not months and years, but weeks!

Are you really not able to tell the difference between 1 and 6?
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Tone Deft wrote:native English speakers tell you that 'innofficial' isn't a word, you laugh it off and blame the internet but still stand by it being a great choice in words.
I`m a native German speaker. Do I know all german words? Never. In fact most germans only know about the 5000 words regulary used by boulevard newspapers and I assume the same is true for most native English speakers.
it is a word, and I think that was the first time I've ever come across it.
Inability = Unability ;)
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

sparklepuff
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am
Location: Brooklyn

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Come on, Tone, you ever hear George W. Bush speak? Give Timur a break.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23673
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Crash wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:native English speakers tell you that 'innofficial' isn't a word, you laugh it off and blame the internet but still stand by it being a great choice in words.
I`m a native German speaker. Do I know all german words? Never. In fact most germans only know about the 5000 words regulary used by boulevard newspapers and I assume the same is true for most native English speakers.
your English is great, it's a lack of humility that people piss and moan about with you. I'm used to dealing with people with like that, most aren't.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23673
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Come on, Tone, you ever hear George W. Bush speak? Give Timur a break.
this isn't a grammar Nazi moment, Timur writes far better than W speaks.

it's a demonstration of how the guy doesn't admit he's wrong, that's what I'm hearing drives people nuts about him.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Excuse me, Tone, where exactly did anyone prove me wrong other than saying "You are wrong"?

I don`t know any of you people so why should I trust your word without asking for any hard evidence? I`m providing lots of evidence with many of my arguments (like quoting two different internet dicts about "inability"), one could wonder who has to admit what here?!

Most so called "discussions" around here revolve around people`s (or is it peoples`?) oppinions, less about facts. Obviously people neither like my oppinions nor my facts. Bad luck for whome? Find your own answers. :P
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23673
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Crash wrote:Excuse me, Tone, where exactly did anyone prove me wrong other than saying "You are wrong"?

I don`t know any of you people so why should I trust your word without asking for any hard evidence? I`m providing lots of evidence with many of my arguments (like quoting two different internet dicts about "inability"), one could wonder who has to admit what here?!

Most so called "discussions" around here revolve around people`s (or is it peoples`?) oppinions, less about facts. Obviously people neither like my oppinions nor my facts. Bad luck for whome? Find your own answers. :P
you couldn't have illustrated my point better, thank you.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:55 pm

My pleasure! :D

Just another thread that turned into Crashbashing. Life`s grand! (pun intended) :roll:
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23673
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:00 pm

keep that sense of humor and maybe try to understand what people are trying to tell you.

this isn't a bashing, you know what an ableton.com/forum bashing really looks like, compared to a bashing this is a gentle cupping of the balls.

Crash
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm

Oh, I don`t feel bashed by you, others show alot more disappreciation. You seem rather reasonable and friendly lately. :oops: ;)

How do you like my new xx( pic?
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Post Reply