What's wrong with this picture? Justice Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:05 pm

aeon wrote:name and shame! :D i'm with Son Kite... FuckFakeLiveActs.

to me it's live if

a) you have to rehearse

and

b) you can fuck up audibly

with an additional

c) you're not so breathtakingly arrogant as to play shit that isn't plugged in
really well said

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm

slatepipe wrote:to me it's live if

a) you have to rehearse
Little to no time for that before out first cooperative gig, but we should have done it. In the end the gig was the first real rehearsal. :roll:
b) you can fuck up audibly
We did. :oops:
c) you're not so breathtakingly arrogant as to play shit that isn't plugged in
The fucking up included shit meant for live controls that didn't react like it should. With a gig already in the running sometimes the only option is to let the show go on. 8)
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm

the pictures a fake.... there's no camels or gitanes in sight.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 pm

im listening to these guys right now, they are so overly compressed its sickening.. way to much sucking of the bass drum.. its sounds like ssskkk.. sssskk. sssskk. ssssk...
pricks
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:02 am

im going to try to make a song that sounds like them and post it in "post your half ass shit music thread" i love that thread.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:20 am

nathannn wrote:im listening to these guys right now, they are so overly compressed its sickening.. way to much sucking of the bass drum.. its sounds like ssskkk.. sssskk. sssskk. ssssk...
pricks
Bienvenue en France.

deadact

Post by deadact » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 am

hello.

I have received many hits from here on my site (http://www.deadact.com) which is great. I got slack and left it a while ago.

If anyone would like to get on board and keep it updated, please PM me and I will give you blogging access to the site (you must have a google account I think).

I will work on it a bit myself soon.

Thankyou.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:35 pm

last man on earth wrote:Personally, I respect them, and I do dig some of their music - it's not for everyone, but whose music is?

Anyway, my respect will stay with them after the "Stress" video - doing something like that to show people that D.A.N.C.E. isn't everything to them is something I can understand, and if you haven't seen it, get ready for a tribute to Kubrick:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58z2a ... ideo_music

There's a shot down near the end of the video where the kids wearing justice jackets steal a car, and D.A.N.C.E. is playing on the radio - the kid in the passenger seat promptly kicks the shit out of the radio, stomping the dashboard in the middle of the song.

These guys know how they are perceived, and they know there are haters because of the nature of what brought them to popularity, and don't give a shit because they know there is something to them beyond the radio hits. For that, I respect them, even though:

A - that was a bad pic where the MPD isn't plugged in
B - They actually copped publicly to stealing samples from people who have major labels and lawyers behind them (that's going to cost them)

Good people make mistakes, and artists aren't always understood or liked...big deal.
And Gaspard makes a statement on myspace regarding these pictures:

http://forums.myspace.com/t/4278207.asp ... ortOrder=0

6th post down

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:16 pm

last man on earth wrote:
last man on earth wrote:Personally, I respect them, and I do dig some of their music - it's not for everyone, but whose music is?

Anyway, my respect will stay with them after the "Stress" video - doing something like that to show people that D.A.N.C.E. isn't everything to them is something I can understand, and if you haven't seen it, get ready for a tribute to Kubrick:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58z2a ... ideo_music

There's a shot down near the end of the video where the kids wearing justice jackets steal a car, and D.A.N.C.E. is playing on the radio - the kid in the passenger seat promptly kicks the shit out of the radio, stomping the dashboard in the middle of the song.

These guys know how they are perceived, and they know there are haters because of the nature of what brought them to popularity, and don't give a shit because they know there is something to them beyond the radio hits. For that, I respect them, even though:

A - that was a bad pic where the MPD isn't plugged in
B - They actually copped publicly to stealing samples from people who have major labels and lawyers behind them (that's going to cost them)

Good people make mistakes, and artists aren't always understood or liked...big deal.
And Gaspard makes a statement on myspace regarding these pictures:

http://forums.myspace.com/t/4278207.asp ... ortOrder=0

6th post down
The funny part of all this to me is even if he is triggering scenes in Live or what not, it's still 90% pre-produced music, the show is still more about seeing them more or less remix their work live, which is fine. It just cracks me up as mainly a guitar player to see people take it so seriously that his USB cable came unplugged, and act like that is some sort of indication he's faking it. I mean the most you can do with a drum pad is add a few hits, trigger a scene, and play with the faders anyway?? Not that that's bad or unworthy, it just doesn't strike me as half the crime of a guitar player being unplugged while a backing CD plays his parts etc.

On top of it, the guy states that it was a mistake, and that he hadn't noticed yet, hence him trying to find out what going on with a blank look on his face as he stares at the monitor. Not even close to a Mili Vanili, yet here we go spreading FUD about a famous musician, how original, a bunch of unpaid or barely paid performers mocking their own that make it.

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 pm

Good point. I feel bad for poking fun. Especially as - and there's already far too much MySpace in this thread but - Gaspard has by far the greatest MySpace profile I've seen.

I for one will be doing more to ensure my USBs stay firmly in their magic electricity holes from now on.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Justice. :cry:

Chang

Post by Chang » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:25 am

Crash wrote:Most used piece of equipment in electronic music in the past: DAT
Most used piece of equipment in electronic music today: IPOD

Yes many groups fake it live in electronica but there are some that do no DAT or ipod that are very powerful live and are playing music live. Some groups I've seen up close that are doing it real are Uberzone, Jackal & Hyde and Anthony Rother for instance. They all play live drums and synth, sampler and even improv on their equipment playing drum pads, keys, vocals, vocoder, drums, tweaking filter while hit keys etc. Playing drums like a drummer, playing synth like a guitar player totally practiced and rehearsed like a real band not fake pre programmed.

cacti

Post by cacti » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:26 am

I saw them on the show London Live on Mojo HD, and they had nothing plugged in. At the end of their song the crowd rushed the stage and was moving their gear around and you could tell it wasnt even plugged in. I just figured then faked it for tv but maybe they always do

djoliverm

Post by djoliverm » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Apparently beatportal said in an interview the next day that Justice claims that he had just found out that the cable was disconnected and then he quickly connected it again, HOWEVER, after seeing the myspace photos (i.e., more than one shot with the cable disconnected or nowhere to be seen), I can SAFELY say that they are full of shit. Honestly, it would be understandable if there was only ONE photo, but various? No way. Oh and this from the people who just recently said that they lifted over 400 uncleared samples in their debut album.

P.S. I saw them play a DJ set after Eric Prydz at Ultra 2008 (Miami, FL), and I have to say it was the worst set I have ever heard ever at a main stage, let alone allowing these fools to perform in public period. Daft Punk are the holy grail, and even their stuff is almost all audio and pre-programmed, but at least they can, and do change their sets. I know this because I have their Alive CD and heard them at Bang 2006 (Miami, FL) and the sets although similar, are played out differently. My two cents.

Geezus

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Justice Live

Post by Geezus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:03 pm

COSM wrote:Thanks to Synthtopia

On that buzz, found this a few weeks back.. seems to be abandoned tho

http://www.deadact.com

:lol:

Somebody clawed out one of those dude's eyeballs