I Prefer Synth Action

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
chis

Post by chis » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Hammer action for piano, synth action for everything else, personally.

I started on a crappy old black MK Evolution MIDI keyboard. Horrible thing, but got it cheap. You get used to it when it's all you know. Now I'd swear by the semi-weighted action of my Novation KS4. And yes, there is good and bad "synth action" - that old Evolution is rubbery as hell of course, but Alesis are culprits too: their Ion and Micron synths, whilst awesome VAs, have horrendous, spongy keyboards with no aftertouch. *shudders*

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Depends, I don't really like full weighted (but wouldn't really know until I had one in tha studio).

I think the Novation semi-weighted is the fastest action, because it doesn't slow you down & instantly pops back up to your fingers.

I just added an Axiom 49, and I actually like it's very mechanical feeling semi weighted, but in a different way...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

xherv

Post by xherv » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:04 pm

rozling wrote:
Baron von Case wrote:I don't assume there's any "macrovelocitycurve" in Live, though. ...?
Doesn't the Velocity MIDI effect apply a velocity curve? I don't know if it does now, I actually can't remember. I assume it does. Or do you mean a global program preference?
Yeah, the velocity plug has a few parameters that can be tweaked to dial in a curve pretty easily and accurately. You could put this on a MIDI track with no instruments on it and then have your instrument tracks read from that track instead of your raw MIDI input.