Musician's Curse? Must learn more instruments?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vertical

Musician's Curse? Must learn more instruments?

Post by Vertical » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:17 am

I can't help it... I am not a guitar player...at all... Keys...yeah, but not guitar. But whenever I hear someone playing an awesome piece on the guitar, I want to pick up a guitar and learn to play... But then I realize, I will never be as good as the piece I just saw performed. And then I eventually give up. Hop back on my keys...until I see another guitar performance that brings it all up again. I don;t have the patience to learn. Why can't I just accept that I enjoy watching people play the guitar? Why can'y I just be content with listening... Nope... since I know I know something about music, I automatically think I need to learn what I just heard. To make it part of me. To master it.. But pitifully, I just can't. This is my curse as a musician.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 am

yep.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 am

just add some stomp boxes and a strap. You'll be good to go.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:11 am

yeah, people that play guitar are way cooler than synth nerds.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:14 am

nathannn wrote:yeah, people that play guitar are way cooler than synth nerds.
How's that when they are so highly strung?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am

is that a synth nerd making a joke?

"highly strung".....

It's a different kind of chick you get when you play guitar ya know?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:36 am

The kind with STDs?

bosonHavoc

Re: Musician's Curse? Must learn more instruments?

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:38 am

Vertical wrote:I can't help it... I am not a guitar player...at all... Keys...yeah, but not guitar. But whenever I hear someone playing an awesome piece on the guitar, I want to pick up a guitar and learn to play... But then I realize, I will never be as good as the piece I just saw performed. And then I eventually give up. Hop back on my keys...until I see another guitar performance that brings it all up again. I don;t have the patience to learn. Why can't I just accept that I enjoy watching people play the guitar? Why can'y I just be content with listening... Nope... since I know I know something about music, I automatically think I need to learn what I just heard. To make it part of me. To master it.. But pitifully, I just can't. This is my curse as a musician.
lol.. thats how i feel about synths
i dont really play guitar much anymore.. i fell in love with the Bass
i have classicial guitar that i keep arround cause its the Law to have an acoustic guitar in your house.. (least in my world)

drums do that to me too lol gah i love the drums
i love that i can program beats but man i wish i could play as well as i program.
some of the beats i hear in my head i loose when i try to program cause they are in odd meter so i loose the beat triing to figure out tempo and time sig.. if i could play it i could just record it then figure it out later.

practice practice practice....

by the way i bet you could learn to shread a guitar in less then 1 year if you just spent a minimum of 1 hour a day practicing technique.

thefunkystrummer

Musician's Curse? One of them anyway...

Post by thefunkystrummer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:02 am

I'm an accomplished guitarist and I feel the same way when I watch a good keyboard/piano player. I also feel that way about other guitar players from time to time.

Accepting that there are many great players out there doing things I'll likely never be able to do can be tough. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be content with what I do and enjoy the talents of others. The music is a lot more enjoyable that way. =)
Ableton Live 7.0.18
Novation Remote SL37
RME Fireface 800

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:56 am

Every thing i do is related to the guitar.
If i play keyboards, then i play lots of open chord voicing based on transposing guitar chords to piano. About the only time i stop thinking guitar is when i play bass, then, ironically enough, it becomes all about chords and the notes in them. The reason i make this point is that just about every guitarist i know that also "plays" bass, tends to go at like its a guitar with big strings. The end result is most often more like the sound of some one building a shed than some one producing music.
Having said all of that, if i had the money and the space, i would be all over a drum kit. A friend of mine and my self where playing the "list your favorite musicians" game the other day, my top three where drummers, if any of you ever get the chance to get shitty ass drunk on tequila with me and there is a vacant drum kit near by, you have my full permission to use what ever means necessary to keep me away from it. My next dream would be a real B3 or a nord C1 and a Lesley.( the nord is freaking awesome, the keyboard alone is worth the price.)
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

sherman

Post by sherman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:01 am

I suffer the same fate, but in a different way. I fall into the 'jack of all trades, master of none' category. I can play guitar, keys, drums, but would not call myself a guitarist/drummer/pianist. This goes with most things in my life. Good at anything, best at nothing. I guess thats good and bad... Meh, now Im ranting :P
--sherman

pixelbox

Re: Musician's Curse? Must learn more instruments?

Post by pixelbox » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:24 am

Vertical wrote:I can't help it... I am not a guitar player...at all... Keys...yeah, but not guitar. But whenever I hear someone playing an awesome piece on the guitar, I want to pick up a guitar and learn to play... But then I realize, I will never be as good as the piece I just saw performed. And then I eventually give up. Hop back on my keys...until I see another guitar performance that brings it all up again. I don;t have the patience to learn. Why can't I just accept that I enjoy watching people play the guitar? Why can'y I just be content with listening... Nope... since I know I know something about music, I automatically think I need to learn what I just heard. To make it part of me. To master it.. But pitifully, I just can't. This is my curse as a musician.
LOL! I've been playing guitar for 20+ years, and I feel the exact same way about EDM production!! It's easy to play a tasty lick on a guitar, but create a cool beat, slammin' bassline, and really interesting leads and pads, plus effects? Then mix and master it all? Holy crap!!!!! Maybe I'm too A.D.D.

Hats off to you guys!
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:27 am

The guitar is one of the most easy to learn instruments.

Try accordeon, that sucks, you can't see your hands playing. Or the violin, or the trumpet, where you have to torture everyone around you during months before you are able to play anything nice.

Post by 4.33 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:40 am

you're a piano player, so you got at least your basic music theory shit together
just take a few lessons with a tutor to put your hands on the guitar and to get a grip of basic chord shapes.
it's much easier than the piano, you'll be strumming songs by ear in a couple of months.
to take it further just continue to rip off the guitar stuff by ear. that's how guitar players are accomplished)

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 am

Jekblad wrote:is that a synth nerd making a joke?
:lol: I wish.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller