fruity loops + mau5 drama

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SMonk

Post by SMonk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:08 pm

levimoniz wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:+1 exactly

not much originality except the silly costume.
Not even that; the whole costume concept of course came from Daft Punk.

I know MSTRKRFT copied it too with their Jason masks, and I think I saw this other group using ski masks or something. I can't wait 'til showing your face is in again
Yes, among the many things Daft Punk invented (the filter, the vocoder, japanese animation, compression, france, drum beats, the note "C" etc), hiding your face is perhaps the invention that has had the most widespread recognition.

Oh, and deadmau5 makes dull (but not exactly bad) music that sounds like it takes longer to listen to than it took to produce. But he's not exactly alone, there.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm

what's with all the Deadmau5 hating here?
I can't even gather from the article that the guy has anything to do with the whole story except that someone basically made a track that sounds exactly like Faxing Berlin by using loops provided by image line.
It says this artist is being "struck down by the wrath of the law" but it never specifies this. Is he being sued? By Deadmau5? By Image Line?

*edit* ok i just saw the thread at image line forums, so this dirtycircuit guy is gettings sued by Deadmau5. I don't know if the guy genuinely didn't know it was Deadmau5's work but even if he didn't that's still not really Deadmau5's problem. Though I think the main party at fault here is Image Line for not providing clear info about the legality of the samples.

aleme

Post by aleme » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I think I should apply for a patent and declare the frequency range from 0 Hz up to 20 kHz as my intellectual property :lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 pm

snakedogman wrote:I think the main party at fault here is Image Line for not providing clear info about the legality of the samples.
Exactly. That is the issue.

What if one of the people here used a loop provided by and installed with Ableton in one of their tracks and suddenly found themselves in the spotlight, being threatened with litigation by some artist they had never heard of up until this point.

Then Ableton tried to put the blame on you posting bullshit on the forum like "you should have known" and "it should have been clear".

I read through the thread on the imageline forum and the biggest asshole I can see is that guy Jean-Marie Carrie, who refuses to admit that imageline completely screwed up here, and because of that an artist has had his work infringed on and another one is facing legal action.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Any body else sick of all the deadmau5 hating. The man's only crime is become very sucessful in a short period of time making kick ass tunes. A lot of people jealous of this.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:10 pm

snakedogman wrote:what's with all the Deadmau5 hating here?
I can't even gather from the article that the guy has anything to do with the whole story except that someone basically made a track that sounds exactly like Faxing Berlin by using loops provided by image line.
It says this artist is being "struck down by the wrath of the law" but it never specifies this. Is he being sued? By Deadmau5? By Image Line?

*edit* ok i just saw the thread at image line forums, so this dirtycircuit guy is gettings sued by Deadmau5. I don't know if the guy genuinely didn't know it was Deadmau5's work but even if he didn't that's still not really Deadmau5's problem. Though I think the main party at fault here is Image Line for not providing clear info about the legality of the samples.
Logic.
Deadmau5 knew Image Line would include his music as loops in their product. I'm certain he got paid for it.

The absurdity of Deadmau5 or Image Line thinking that loops included in a loop workstation would somehow NOT be used in a song at some point is beyond belief.

Both are horribly liable IMO. The guy they're suing should sue them for entrapment. A good lawyer would win this, considering apparently there isn't much in the way of information saying the loops are not to be used.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:11 pm

I think in the near future we should start seeing the © symbol prominently placed in sample names of published music.

This is an interesting legal case. In my opinion, if that sample is amongst a large number of other royalty-free melodic samples in the FL library, then the software manufacturer is to blame. Dirty Circuit is their customer. Their customer has landed in legal hot water simply for using their product to "create" music.

There's a few good lessons learned here that will benefit people's music:

1) Do not use samples, create your own

2) Learn how to program your own beats, using your own sounds

and lastly...

3) Do not use software that stole its name from a sugary brand of cereal

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Ah relax, I don't like Deadmau5's music but I'm not exactly a hater.

I was just having some fun and stirring the pot, trying to put a bit of juice into the thread. Seems like it worked by all the Mau5 kissassing that is going on, no such thing as bad publicity, :idea: so I'm sure the 'active forum member' will be happy that he has all this attention!

Yoshi, if you're so hot, post us the links to your stuff, would be happy to give you a listen :wink:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:13 pm

levimoniz wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:Ah relax, I don't like Deadmau5's music but I'm not exactly a hater.
Exactly, like saying you don't dig someone's music & the way they present themselves means you have a personal vendetta or something.

'Stop hating, I can't handle conflict and emotional disharmony waaaaah!'

Fucking soft lads
So now the people who are not hating deadmau5 are in the wrong because we are "fucking soft lads"

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:17 pm

tried out that refill unpacker yet funkyshite?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Mr Man wrote:could someone please id the track from the guys myspace... "Jupiter"

http://www.myspace.com/dirtycircuit

the origional though... not that fucked up trancy version :?
just bumpin this also

im pretty sure the track was used on fabric's - Jacques Le Cont mix that ive long lost.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Mr Man wrote:tried out that refill unpacker yet funkyshite?
yep, some files are currupt when extracting tho!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:29 pm

wow i jusy listened to the berlin track.

I though it was just the drums he used, which would be fine, sort off.

But the track is more or less the same, he just added in additional synths

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Arrgghhhh !!

No-body is wrong. If you like the music then all power to you. Just not my cup of tea at all, certainly nothing new or original, either the gimmicks or the music.

I ain't jealous either, I work in an awesome job, earn a pretty decent wage and like my life. I like my music and some others do too, that's good enough for me.

And I never called anyone fucking soft lads ....everyone is entitled to their opinion ;)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 pm

leedsquietman wrote: And I never called anyone fucking soft lads ....everyone is entitled to their opinion ;)
Wasn't u that said it man! :)