Any G5 Users Wanna Do Me A Quick Favor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pentajigga

Post by pentajigga » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:32 am

what about for deaktops.. i gather these are laptops you mentioned?
thanks...
who makes a good amd system?

running in 64 bit doesn't speed anything up. Because programs aren't written in 64 bit code 'yet'. But, the athlon 64 chip has been beating ever cpu out there by a fair margin. 2nd in speed is the intel M chip (centrino). it is near the performance of the athlon 64. Both are more than capable of beating out dual G5 towers, amazingly.
I wouldn't recommend or buy anything but those two cpu's. If your buying the athlon 64, try and get a via chipset. if your buying the centrino, try and get the intel 855GME the version with the E is the newest. also, for longer battery life the ULV versions will run longer, but the regular M's will be a little faster.

good luck.[/quote]
shuttle xpc amd athlon 64 3500+ / 1gig RAM / oxygen 8 / rme hdsp9652

lowbot

Post by lowbot » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 am

The G5 running Live handles anything I throw at it. It's not a laptop, but it is a Mac. The G5 is super quiet, too. Also, I take into consideration the way Panther handles midi in realtime. All my apps work in complete harmony, along with my hardware synths. Add the free tool called Midipipe, and life is worth living on Os X.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in... :lol:

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:03 pm

pentajigga wrote:what about for deaktops.. i gather these are laptops you mentioned?
thanks...
who makes a good amd system?
try Here
and Here

But I would suggest spending the extra 100-200 bucks and just buy it in a laptop version. The dell 8600 1.6ghz is beating the dual 2ghz G5 over in the protools forum by around 50%. Nothing short of amazing!
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

dirtstyle

Post by dirtstyle » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:40 pm

G5!! all the way. Just kidding, get whatever you want. i think in the end it is really about what operating system you prefer working in. I have never been happier using a computer than when I went from xp to osx panther - osx=no viruses, built-in firewall, no pesky adware, peace of mind (for me at least). Its pretty stupid to say that, but in the end you really have to weigh the preferences with cost. The athlon, centrino and dual g5 are all very worthy computers, pretty expensive, and we are talking fractions of seconds in the difference between speeds. so, in my professional (and completely biased opinion) get a G5, w/ system bus of 1Gig! best, mike
ededitedit.

siddhu

8 reverb's = 30%

Post by siddhu » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:54 pm

I ran the "demo session" file that comes with Live 3 on a dual 1.8 G5 with 8 reverb instances set to the "room" preset with absolutely no strain on the machine.

The CPU meter was hovering at 30%. This is without setting the processor performance to highest.

Siddhu

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:12 am

pentajigga wrote:But, the athlon 64 chip has been beating ever cpu out there by a fair margin. 2nd in speed is the intel M chip (centrino). it is near the performance of the athlon 64. Both are more than capable of beating out dual G5 towers, amazingly.
Be sure to buy a quiet fan and lots of sound dampening material! Those Athlons make a fair amount of noise...

-Alex

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:38 am

Mbazzy wrote:I just don't get it why people are always so stoked on measuring performance especially by throwing reverbs at a certain track config ....
It's just a (semi-) standardized means of comparing real-world increases in functionality as cpu power increases. Don't think anyone in their right minds would have a reverb on every track...eewwwkkkk!!

lowbot

Post by lowbot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:51 am

Nothing dampens my creativity more than that awful fan sound. My G5's fans only kick in when I'm rendering video, making music, and calculating the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:56 pm

Alex Reynolds wrote:Be sure to buy a quiet fan and lots of sound dampening material! Those Athlons make a fair amount of noise...

-Alex
On both, my desktop and notebook athlon 64's they are both nearly silent. My desktop is around 26db, which is considered nearly silent. You have to put your head near it to hear it running. My laptop is about 29db, which is also so quiet, you have to be within a foot to hear the fans.

I can honestly say I can't hear them at all, with no music or anything playing, they are both silent.

Maybe you have a bad fan in yours? I'm not sure, but these are definitely quiet. I can record vocals in the same room as both of them with my condensors mic's...
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:43 pm

The g5 single processor imacs should be available around september. No details yet, alot of guesses.....
It would be cool if the monitor and cpu are seperate.
Would be fun taking your g5 everwhere (with a plug...)

H

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:10 pm

Well on my laptop - note - hyperthreading is not disabled
I'm working on a piece at the moment.
Currently on 16 stereo tracks + 4 mono (basically the equivalent of 36 mono tracks) for harddrive activity.
2 Reverbs on sends 1&2 Highest Quality setting.
A minimum of 4 effects per track for 12 tracks
3-2 effects (4eq-compression - buffer overiding VST's) on the rythmic tracks with a bit of send the the verb to taste.
5ms input 5ms output latency @ 24/48
all samples are in 24/48 at source.
With all tracks CPU max's out at 49-51% tops.
Lacie D2 HD holds up a treat also.
Screen redraws are are all still damn smooth also.
Haven't had a PC crash yet (touch wood)
Gotta say this P20 is off the hook for use with Live 3.0.4
I can do some pretty mental sounddesign/audio patching in audiomulch also I might add.
Couldn't afford the G5 myself and this system was cheaper than G4 1.5ghz 17" PB .
I would have gone for a dual 2.0ghz G5 if I had the cash.
Overall I'm pretty damn stoked.
God I love this program. :D
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....