enigma

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
razzy

enigma

Post by razzy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 am

okay im fairly new to djing with ableton. i have the trigger finger and mapping to liveis simple , but ive been looking in to the enigma software and it looks pretty complex with, my question is surely you wouldn't need enigma when you just click on midi and map your controller, when would i need to use the enigma editor and how do i use it, like i said i am noob

cheers

raz

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 am

Hi, yes, for lots of stuff you don't need the enigma editor, especially standard stuff for which you can use Live's midi-learn, as you mention. But sometimes some midi-controlled devices, e.g. hardware synths, expect a specific midi CC with a specific range of values to control a specific parameter. In that case, you could use Enigma to edit the midi control signals according to what the synth is expecting. That's one example, I'm sure there are others...

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 am

I guess you mean the Enigma software that comes with M-Audio equipment?

One of the presets on your MIDI controller should be set up for Live - for example on My Axiom it is #17 or #20.

This should be in the getting started info that comes with your gear.

As long as the equipment does what you want you don't need enigma.

If however, you want to save multiple setups or change the velocity curves of a keyboard, for example, you will need to look into Enigma to send the appropriate MIDI sysex to the device.

razzy

Post by razzy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 am

Think I'm gettin a better pic, thanks for the info