Sending MIDI to my MIDI Guitar?? How??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Also, an electromagnet can make a string vibrate, but it is hardly the same as plucking it. I've used ebows before and it is hardly a very accurate articulation device, I still think this guy's idea is impossible, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 pm

You have to have MIDI strings for this to work, preferably the cryogenic kind, but any old guitar shop MIDI strings will work fine.

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 pm

possible or not this guy is a major douche.

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Thank you, tinybeautifulthing, for conforming to the subject of my thread. While not entirely helpful, I do appreciate the example of getting a robot to play a guitar.

Do you know what program they are using to get the robots to perform on their instruments? Perhaps something like Max/MSP or Reason? Very interesting.
I taste nice.

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 pm

I know that the one guy built all those robots himself, and that it's a pretty awesome show.

I would imagine that it's not reason, but more likely a hardware midi sequencer with some midi-cv converters. But that's just a guess.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm

thesmallisbeautiful wrote:Also, an electromagnet can make a string vibrate, but it is hardly the same as plucking it. I've used ebows before and it is hardly a very accurate articulation device, I still think this guy's idea is impossible, but I'm open to being proven wrong.
On an ebow the electrical pulse or signal is fairly even over time. On the pick-ups of a resonating midi guitar the control voltage has an ADSR curve resembling certain percussive instruments. Very brief attack and decay making a specific, quite realistic, picking sound.

.m

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks, I appreciate learning new things.

I guess they did this so that someone can have the computer articulate the notes while they fret, right? I would be very impressed if there was a way to have the guitar play back (Bach?) all of the note data from a midi clip but the question about fretting has yet to be answered. This was my main problem with the physical possibility of have the guitar play on it's own.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 pm

thesmallisbeautiful wrote:Thanks, I appreciate learning new things.

I guess they did this so that someone can have the computer articulate the notes while they fret, right? I would be very impressed if there was a way to have the guitar play back (Bach?) all of the note data from a midi clip but the question about fretting has yet to be answered. This was my main problem with the physical possibility of have the guitar play on it's own.
you've never used one, have you?

how can people say something doesn't work when they've never even played one?

:roll:

Pickle - I meant the battery on your guitar, not the laptop battery.

I swear I read once that Macs had problems with Gibson guitars but I can't find the link.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I guess what I'm saying is that I cannot imagine a way that it's possible, and that I cannot find any examples on the net of this being accomplished.

I've actually used midi guitars before, but only briefly. I was under the impression that they were used as a controller. You play the guitar as you normally would and have it trigger sounds from external midi sources.

As I said, I'm more than open to being proven wrong here. I tried to find examples on the web, but I can't find any.

Also, when someone tries to suggest that something is impossible, it usually implies that they haven't done it themselves. I have never flown around the room using the power of thought, and I feel pretty comfortable believing that to be impossible too.

If someone has any evidence to suggest that a midi guitar can fret itself, please post it. That would likely convince me to buy one of them!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 pm

thesmallisbeautiful wrote:I have never flown around the room using the power of thought, and I feel pretty comfortable believing that to be impossible too.
:roll: n00b.

I've never seen an atomic bomb but I'm pretty sure they exist, no proof needed, thank you very much.

why is it all about you?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Ok, but you have seen plenty of direct evidence for the existence of atomic bombs. You likely also know something about the basic physical properties of atoms that make it possible.

Everyone posts based on their own interests. I am posting not to make some personal point, lofi showed that the strings can be plucked by midi and I'm glad he did, it showed me something i didn't know. This isn't a vendetta, I have no reason not to want this to be possible, but if it's not possible then the OP is wasting his time.

If you know how it wokrs and don't want to tell me, that's your business, I am very interested in this and would like to see it resolved, noob or not it's a topic I want to post questions about.

Linz

Post by Linz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:40 pm

Pickle Sprocket wrote:P.S. UPDATE
I have changed the battery in my laptop, but that has not had any positive effects in regards to sending MIDI to my MIDI guitar from Ableton Live, though the screen is noticeably brighter, which I take to be a good thing.

I am now going through Loaf-i Massassakhua's instructions about changing the MIDI to 14 bits, I will report back with how that has effected the situation.

Hopefully I will have success before I go to sleep tonight! I would like to hear my guitar playing some Bach by itself while I am brushing my teeth! So exciting! Thanks for everyone's help so far.
I think you're pretty close but you may have misunderstood the instructions regarding batteries.

I have been using using MIDI guitar since I was around 3 or 4 years old and one of the best tips I've discovered is to use a separate battery for each string.

My most successful rig consists of an Axon GR-29 with a KG-4 MIDI pickup on my good old '83 Gibson Telecaster. The batteries are configured as follows:

1st CR2032
2nd AAA
3rd AA
4th C
5th D
6th 12 V 40 Ah Lead-acid car battery

It may seem odd but the relative voltages are irrelevant - successful MIDI playback is entirely down to the physical size of each battery...in my experience.

Hope that helps.
Live 6.05 - Cubase 4.5 - Mac Pro 2.66, 7GB, 500GB, OS 10.5.6 - Mac Mini 1.66CD, 2GB, 160GB, OS 10.4.9 - MOTU Ultralite MkIII

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:53 pm

Linz wrote:
Pickle Sprocket wrote:P.S. UPDATE
I have changed the battery in my laptop, but that has not had any positive effects in regards to sending MIDI to my MIDI guitar from Ableton Live, though the screen is noticeably brighter, which I take to be a good thing.

I am now going through Loaf-i Massassakhua's instructions about changing the MIDI to 14 bits, I will report back with how that has effected the situation.

Hopefully I will have success before I go to sleep tonight! I would like to hear my guitar playing some Bach by itself while I am brushing my teeth! So exciting! Thanks for everyone's help so far.
I think you're pretty close but you may have misunderstood the instructions regarding batteries.

I have been using using MIDI guitar since I was around 3 or 4 years old and one of the best tips I've discovered is to use a separate battery for each string.

My most successful rig consists of an Axon GR-29 with a KG-4 MIDI pickup on my good old '83 Gibson Telecaster. The batteries are configured as follows:

1st CR2032
2nd AAA
3rd AA
4th C
5th D
6th 12 V 40 Ah Lead-acid car battery

It may seem odd but the relative voltages are irrelevant - successful MIDI playback is entirely down to the physical size of each battery...in my experience.

Hope that helps.
Yes, that makes things a bit clearer. But the battery casing on my guitar will not accommodate a CR2032 for the first string, I believe it is actually a CR2025 battery, perhaps this is something they have modified since the original 1983 Gibson Telecaster MIDI guitar model. Mine is one of the reissues. Also, my 12V may need to be recharged. I will verify that my guitar batteries are all correct before attempting to get MIDI playback to work again, no use wasting my time fiddling with other variables until I'm sure this one is correct.

To smallchildrenarebeautiful, I am definitely not wasting my time, this is very possible as witnessed by me by this amazing Christian music artist that recently had a show at my local community center, he had 2 MIDI classical guitars playing back while he played the Conga's, it was really quite lovely. What makes it so great is that you can have the reliability of a MIDI performance (obviously the computer isn't going to play back wrong notes!) with the real acoustic sound of guitars playing through amps, which you aren't going to get by just playing back software synths or samplers with your MIDI clips. I really, really wish I had asked him how he got it all set up.
I taste nice.

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:01 am

Ok, now I'm convinced. I guess that the reason I wasn't able to get it to work is that I'm an atheist.