Akai MPCs, why so legendary ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm

serge_a_storms wrote: HMV sell this. I saw one today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numark-PT01-PT- ... B0002ABOFS
HMV sell that? Sweet! Want one.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:00 am

Swingalinga! Cant beat it!
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am

logic_user99 wrote:

Well they do in the Oxford Street Branch as they sell turntables,digital radios and ipods etc but you can probably get it online if they don't have it in stock at your branch in Nottingham. £50 I beleive.

I think it looks pretty cool. Has that little speaker and a line out which is perfect for your needs!

condra

Post by condra » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 am

Vestax Handytrax

Last edited by condra on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:45 am

serge_a_storms wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:

Well they do in the Oxford Street Branch as they sell turntables,digital radios and ipods etc but you can probably get it online if they don't have it in stock at your branch in Nottingham. £50 I beleive.

I think it looks pretty cool. Has that little speaker and a line out which is perfect for your needs!
Mad! I'll have to check that nextime I'm in Oxford Circus
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

condra

Re: Akai MPCs, why so legendary ?

Post by condra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 am

I'm getting an XL by the way. I figure if I'm going to go around bad-mouthing MPCs I might as well have some experience with one. :lol:

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 am

make sure to do feature research on all of them cause boy-o-boy there is a difference. and i'm not talking about the usb feature either.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 am

make sure to do feature research on all of them cause boy-o-boy there is a difference
Are you talking about the feel of the pads etc? or spec/features? The newer ones blow the older ones out of the water in terms of features. I would have considered a 500 only 12 pads aint good for my OCD.

Anyway, this is her.

She will probably turn out to be a very heavy, bulky, Trigger Finger. :lol:

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:32 am

sweeeet, yeah I was talking about feature set,cause the one thousand will let you put in a harddrive, and it comes with a flashcard drive and usb connects so just to start with the convenience is humungous and quick.

i've actualy been thinking lately about a 2000 or xl just for ableton cause when you're staring at an mpc of that size I bet you'll be focusing on the computer much less, that might just be the perfect controller for Live, I know you're gonna enjoy muting and unmuting shit in ableton much more with the mp, plus you've got that great sequencer, you'll be able to close the lid to your laptop and just rock out on the mp with Live under the hood

condra

Post by condra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 pm

starving student wrote: i've actualy been thinking lately about a 2000 or xl
They're stupid cheap now because of the new breed.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:04 pm

shoot that's right, I might just look for a maxed out 8 outs whole shabang mofo for Live 8, damn i'm a little jazzed at the thought.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 pm

So far so mediocre.

solacerodgers

Post by solacerodgers » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 pm

when i got my mpc pro tools was just being released and not a version it was just pro tools, there was not much of a option back in the very early 90's for producers. I grew up on hardware ( mpc , emu , yamaha su700 ) and like its been stated some times you just want to grab that old dusty box and bang on it.
www.myspace.com/solacerodgers - music mastering and more.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 am

I dumped using an MPC for Live/laptop last month.
My number 1 gripe with the MPC (esp the JJOS) was the 1000 different button combinations to get to whatever screen you needed at the time. Very anti-intuitive when you need something immediately. Polyphony drops out at a certain amount of simultaneous sample playback as well which is retarded. 128mb of RAM is also retarded, forget phrase sampling as well because longer phrases with the polyphony problem will cause dropouts. Oh yeah, and manipulating plugins or having plugins in the first place...? No brainer.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:04 am

starving student wrote:sweeeet, yeah I was talking about feature set,cause the one thousand will let you put in a harddrive, and it comes with a flashcard drive and usb connects so just to start with the convenience is humungous and quick.
Unless I'm mistaken the 1000 doesn't send any midi through USB, it's used strictly as a data load/unload point and even then it's USB 1.0 which is a snail's crawl... and the hard drive/flashcard drive are for loading and unloading only (what I mean is, you can't do it on the fly in the middle of a show - you have to stop what you're doing and load with the unit). You have 128mb RAM to deal with in the MPC and a full set of data takes about 2min to load on average.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com