Assigning chords to one key

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Post by jamief » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 am

Homebelly wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:I do this a lot by stacking audio clips of individual note hits that are tuned to various degrees of the scale I'm working in. I was nearly burnt at the virtual stake by a forum regular for mentioning this idea at Future Producers, but I stand by its usefulness.
So..
why not just play a chord in the first place? 8O
It gives you unique writing possibilties. If you seen it in action i,m sue u would agree.

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:10 pm

There are plenty of good reasons for both approaches; especially in software considered to be a Live Sequencing Instrument and it would seem obvious that if one can dial in a chord from a utility, they could just as equally play the chord. So, there is another reason why this would be useful to an AL user.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

mbreeson

Re:

Post by mbreeson » Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Baron von Case wrote:
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:03 am
A musician doesn't need an automatic chord key.
I am a musician that can play every chord on the planet. Extremely well in fact. However, depending on what you are trying to do, assigning a chord to one button can be very useful. It doesn't make anyone less of a 'musician'. I am surprised to hear this coming from an Ableton Live user.

jestermgee

Re: Re:

Post by jestermgee » Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 pm

mbreeson wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 pm
Baron von Case wrote:
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:03 am
A musician doesn't need an automatic chord key.
I am a musician that can play every chord on the planet. Extremely well in fact. However, depending on what you are trying to do, assigning a chord to one button can be very useful. It doesn't make anyone less of a 'musician'. I am surprised to hear this coming from an Ableton Live user.
Don't get too worked up, this thread was 13 years ago and things have changed a bit since then.