Assigning chords to one key

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Assigning chords to one key

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Hello all,
I have korg karma that has 4 pads on it that essential capture chords. So that ypu can play those chords by pressing one button. It is really usefull. Aprt from the midi plugin that comes with live is there anything else that will allow me to do this ?

Maybe something i can assign to a button on one my controllers ?
using it in this fashion would mean live would host the chord notes itself and not like in the karma situaion where it holds the memory of the chords.

Best :)

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Just thinking about it may be possible to create four or more if needed chord clips and assign them to pads or buttons on my controllers thus allowing me to do this

Any thoughts ?

:)

lola

Post by lola » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:52 pm

you could use the chord plugin and assign the notes on there?
Is that what you mean?

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Use multiple chord plugins with midi on/off assigned to your pads and the activate button for the chord plugins.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:02 pm

lola wrote:you could use the chord plugin and assign the notes on there?
Is that what you mean?
Thats possible but would you have to put the notes in on screen or could you play them into chord and it would capture ? Having to put them in on screen each time would be a pain

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:06 pm

Moody wrote:Use multiple chord plugins with midi on/off assigned to your pads and the activate button for the chord plugins.
That sounds good - maybe create an inst rack containg them.

lola

Post by lola » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 pm

yes you would have to put them on screen, i know what you mean, , think the old alpha juno had this chord memory too.
Dunno if that is possible, the capturing thing.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm

jamief wrote:
Moody wrote:Use multiple chord plugins with midi on/off assigned to your pads and the activate button for the chord plugins.
That sounds good - maybe create an inst rack containg them.
Yep yep, for easy access in other sets. I am currently working on something similar but, I can not say to much or the black suits may come looking for me. Good Luck!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:20 pm

lola wrote:yes you would have to put them on screen, i know what you mean, , think the old alpha juno had this chord memory too.
Dunno if that is possible, the capturing thing.
May have to just resort to clip trigering then as i have got a big attention span :)

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 am

You need an Omnichord!

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:03 am

A musician doesn't need an automatic chord key.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:38 am

I do this a lot by stacking audio clips of individual note hits that are tuned to various degrees of the scale I'm working in. I was nearly burnt at the virtual stake by a forum regular for mentioning this idea at Future Producers, but I stand by its usefulness.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:57 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:I do this a lot by stacking audio clips of individual note hits that are tuned to various degrees of the scale I'm working in. I was nearly burnt at the virtual stake by a forum regular for mentioning this idea at Future Producers, but I stand by its usefulness.
So..
why not just play a chord in the first place? 8O
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:26 am

Because when you're working with complex chords that take longer to figure out, it's best to map them and then focus on creating a progression out of those chords. In this way, you reduce the sound of a chord to a button press rather than a possibly complex fingering on the keyboard. From there, you can quickly and efficiently experiment with different progressions without worrying about being a virtuoso. Nothing pisses me off more than my lack of perfect theoretical knowledge getting in the way of writing a song.

I'm getting better and better with forming complex chords on the fly, but while I'm learning to get fast on the keyboard I'm still a productive composer.

jamief

Post by jamief » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:39 am

Baron von Case wrote:A musician doesn't need an automatic chord key.

:lol: nice