KORG Zero8 as controller for Live performance

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Beatport

KORG Zero8 as controller for Live performance

Post by Beatport » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Any one use a Korg zero8 as a realtime controller for Ableton Live? Ho are the effects and integration into Live?

SuperBassMexican

Post by SuperBassMexican » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:47 am

I've read reviews that they're horrible. More people have luck with the korg4
apple macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 250GB, Presonus Firebox, Live 7 SWEET , Micron , LV2 , Padkontrol , Oxygen 8 , Korg Er-1 MK II , Juno 106 , Kaoss 3, Mackie 802

http://www.myspace.com/destroy281

Post by 4.33 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:03 am

justin

Post by justin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:21 am

SuperBassMexican wrote:I've read reviews that they're horrible. More people have luck with the korg4
i also read some dodgy reviews, but i still got one and it works fine... i guess the moral of the story is "dont always trust the reviewer"!

but i havent used it as a controller yet, mainly as a mixer / fx processor for integrating synths and drum machines.

some of the signal flow stuff is a bit weird to figure out, mainly because the manual is pretty lame. i also cant seem to get the midi clock to be stable in Logic, but it works fine in Live (wtf???). other than that i havent got much to complain about...

j

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:56 am

I've had the zero8 for several months now and have had a bit of a love hate relationship with it. As a controller it is second to none offering more hands on control then anything out there laid out in a fashion that will make sense to anyone with experience using a mixer. With a little bit of planning you can really set it up so you don't need to use the mouse at all.

The soundcard aspect of it however leaves much to be desired sadly. The master volume and and booth controls are digitally controlled which unfortuantely means unless you keep them set to maximum the signal to noise ratio is terrible. I have it from a very good source however that an upgrade which will rectify this is in the works and will be avaiallable soon.

The other issue that I have discovered through some truly spectacular crashes during shows is that the zero 8 requires a clean, grounded power source. Without this the unit has several times frozen up on me which is incredibly frustrating and usually requires a full reboot to fix, though a few times turning the zero 8 on and off was enough to free up the driver.

Lastly, there are issues with some computers, my acer being one of them, on which the firewire bus shares the same pci slot with the wireless lan, resuloting in audio drop outs and generally poor performance. Thankfully this issue is easily resolved by disabling the wlan when using the zero 8.

With all this in mind my feeling is that in it's current state the zero 8 is best used as a controller in conjunction with another soundcard. Carrying around this much junk just have a big control surface may seem like over kill to some but I assure the you that once you've had a chance to play a show with that many controls at you disposal you'll be hard pressed to go back to using anything less.

justin

Post by justin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:23 am

Deadbeat wrote: Lastly, there are issues with some computers, my acer being one of them, on which the firewire bus shares the same pci slot with the wireless lan, resuloting in audio drop outs and generally poor performance. Thankfully this issue is easily resolved by disabling the wlan when using the zero 8.
there's an update that's been released recently on the korg (uk) website for the pc firewire driver. maybe that would fix some of the problems you are experiencing?

j