Controller setup - what to get?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
the_woof
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:02 pm
Contact:

Controller setup - what to get?

Post by the_woof » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi everyone. I've been using Live for about a year and a half, and for the past six months I've been really serious about performing my own stuff with it. I'm looking to pretty much redo my midi controller setup and replace it all with something I can use to perform live. Right now I have a Korg padKontrol and an M-Audio O2. I'm getting rid of the O2 because it doesn't have enough keys (I like to do some improv when I play). What that leaves me with now is a padKontrol, which doesn't have a lot of knobs/sliders/actual controllers on it (the pads can only switch between 2 values). So here are the two options I'm considering (and more suggestions are always welcome):

1. Sell the padKontrol and get a Trigger Finger. The TF's pads can send continuous controls based on pressure, and it has 8 knobs and 4 sliders, which might be enough control.
2. Keep the padKontrol and get a Behringer BCR2000. 32 knobs plus all its extra buttons and stuff should give me more than enough control.

I'm hesitant to do the second option because it's more gear to carry around and you can get lost with all those knobs. I don't want to get the TF and end up without enough control, though. What do you think?

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Faderfoxes FTW
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

the_woof
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:02 pm
Contact:

Post by the_woof » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:51 pm

I've looked at those, I just went back and drooled for a bit but I can't really afford them. They're so nice though... How do you have yours set up? I'm always interested in this cause I'm in high school and no one else around me does this.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

Beatport
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:29 pm

Post by Beatport » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm

ollyb303 wrote:Faderfoxes FTW
What's that case you have there ollyb? does it fit both your FFs and the laptops? need something like that.

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:58 pm

the_woof wrote:I've looked at those, I just went back and drooled for a bit but I can't really afford them. They're so nice though... How do you have yours set up? I'm always interested in this cause I'm in high school and no one else around me does this.
The LV2s have native support in Live, so I just use them as Live maps them, with 1 controlling tracks 1-6, the other tracks 7-12. The DJ2 is technically a traktor controller, but I map it myself in Live. The upfaders and some of the buttons are tracks 13 and 14 and I assign the rest of the rotarys/buttons, etc to control vsts/live instruments depending on what I;m doing with my set at the time.
Beatport wrote:What's that case you have there ollyb? does it fit both your FFs and the laptops? need something like that.
Just a cheap aluminium flightcase from Maplin. I think it was This one. Fits laptop, 3 foxes, cables, snake-light, spare batteries, etc. Not the most hardcore of cases, but for the price, youn can't go wrong!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

the_woof
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:02 pm
Contact:

Post by the_woof » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:12 pm

ollyb303 wrote:The LV2s have native support in Live, so I just use them as Live maps them, with 1 controlling tracks 1-6, the other tracks 7-12. The DJ2 is technically a traktor controller, but I map it myself in Live. The upfaders and some of the buttons are tracks 13 and 14 and I assign the rest of the rotarys/buttons, etc to control vsts/live instruments depending on what I;m doing with my set at the time.
So is it fair to say that if controlling track/scene launch, volumes etc is covered, you don't actually need that many knobs/buttons to control other performance stuff (like fx)? Also, when you play live, are you djing, or arranging/putting fx on your own stuff live? I'm hoping to do the second one, but I'm curious about how you're set up for what you do.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I play all my own tracks, totally live and unsequenced. I arrange/mix it all live using my foxes. Longest clip is maybe 16 bars for a build up, but mostly 1-4 bar loops. All fx are added live using the foxes as well. It's as close to live as I can get using my laptop. I used to do much the same using a couple of MPC2000 samplers and a mackie console. This way is much less to carry!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Post Reply