How do you have your monitors hooked up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

How do you have your monitors hooked up?

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:12 am

I'm looking into getting some inexpensive monitors (probably the KRK RP5 or 6). I don't have any kind of mixer or board of any kind, just my BCR200. Can I just plug the audio out from my computer (little mini phono plug) directly into these monitors, or do I need some type of mixer in between?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:49 am

If the speakers are self powered and don't require an amp, then sure.
However, you would be much better off getting your self a USB or Fire Wire sound card.
Using the built in sound card on your lap top can lead to all kinds of noise and cross talk problems.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 am

Homebelly wrote:If the speakers are self powered and don't require an amp, then sure.
However, you would be much better off getting your self a USB or Fire Wire sound card.
Using the built in sound card on your lap top can lead to all kinds of noise and cross talk problems.
Even on a Mac? Right now I have a Powerbook, but I will soon be getting a new iMac.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:39 am

rbro wrote:
Homebelly wrote:If the speakers are self powered and don't require an amp, then sure.
Even on a Mac? Right now I have a Powerbook, but I will soon be getting a new iMac.
I've used the internal soundcard of my laptop (hp) to play live. But for studio monitoring I wouldn't say the internal card is sufficient - even on an iMac. Decent monitors - like the ones you're suggesting - deserve a better audio interface.

.m

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:15 am

My KRKs are always plugged into an audio interface of some sort,

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:10 pm

the_planet wrote:My KRKs are always plugged into an audio interface of some sort,
So like what for example? Hopefully not too pricey.....

I've got an M-Audio Fasttrack. Is something like that suffiicient? Better to go through that than directly through the Mac's internal soundcard?

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:20 pm

The KRK's are powered so you don't need an audio interface. All you need is an RCA to minijack adapter, which you can buy from any electronics store for a few dollars.

I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been using the built in audio on my desktop (G5 powermac) for years now, used to use the built in on my powerbook as well, and many moons before that used the built in on my old graphite G3 imac.

Don't sweat it man, if you want to buy an audio interface than go for it, but you don't need it.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:24 pm

smutek wrote: Don't sweat it man, if you want to buy an audio interface than go for it, but you don't need it.
OK, I thought so. So what is the advantage to using some additional audio interface and why use one?

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Well, for one you can get more in's and outs, different types of ins and outs (1/4 inch XLR, midi,etc.) sometimes better latency (depending on the card), and more stuff that is not offered by a simple minijack connector.

As an example, I used to have a couple of hardware synths, that was when I needed a card because I needed to send midi out to the synths, and audio back into Live.

There are other things that I am sure more knowledgeable folk around here could tell you about better than I can.

But in my humble experience you will get on just fine with the built in audio on your macs. Then you can worry about investing in new equipment only when you need it.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:43 pm

rbro wrote:
You will be SHOCKED how much better even the crappiest USB / FireWire Soundcard will sound in comparison with the build in output. Even on something like a MacBookPro.

Robert

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Robert Henke wrote:
rbro wrote:
You will be SHOCKED how much better even the crappiest USB / FireWire Soundcard will sound in comparison with the build in output. Even on something like a MacBookPro.

Robert
Alrighty then. Well I can certainly try my crappy M-Audio Fasttrack USB and see how that sounds.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:54 pm

I think that depends on your ears though?

I mean, seriously, some of you guys can listen to a studio recording and pick up on the frequencies of a snail taking a dump 6 miles away from where the recording was made...

Other than loudness I don't hear much difference, but again, I'm not an audio guy, I'm just a hobbyist.

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm

This discussion all comes back to SNR. Computers have a ton of circuits in them which aren't always clean. Leakage is a very common problem in all motherboards these days. This noise easily leaks out into the motherboard's on board soundcard. External sound cards are can provide a much clearer representation of sound. If you're on a budget start with the onboard card and save up for an external. You'll see the difference in no time.
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:29 pm

Robert Henke wrote:You will be SHOCKED how much better even the crappiest USB / FireWire Soundcard will sound in comparison with the build in output. Even on something like a MacBookPro.

Robert
I would say *especially* on a laptop with all the typical buzz and crap you usually got on laptop headphone outputs.
Nothing to see here - move along!

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Khazul wrote:
Robert Henke wrote:You will be SHOCKED how much better even the crappiest USB / FireWire Soundcard will sound in comparison with the build in output. Even on something like a MacBookPro.

Robert
I would say *especially* on a laptop with all the typical buzz and crap you usually got on laptop headphone outputs.
OK, any recommendations for an upgrade to my M-Audio Fasttrack? Preferably in the under $300 range?