Waldorf or ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I went with the Virus Snow because I knew I would be using it inside of Ableton, via TI instead of running it standalone. 100% regret free purchase.

I loved the demos/sound of the Blofeld but without the plug in functionality I thought it was pretty much a Waldrof Micro Q, with a USB port (that doesn't really have a great use.) If Waldorf ever puts that USB port to good use by creating a TI-esque softeware compnent for the Blofeld I'll eat my words.

For my money, the Virus Snow wins out. Waldorf re-emerged and was very murky with the details. I remember seeing the mock-up of the Blofeld for nearly three years before the device ever was released. Surely, they had plenty of time to write a Ti-esque program to really develop a sure-fire hit with a hybrid Blofeld. Instead, the released (in my opinion) a half finished product that only sells for $400-$500 or so less than the much more flexible Snow.

I bought my Snow at the $1,250 price point when it was first announced. I was always a fan of Waldorf but as soon as I heard that the USB port was really only there for software updates I balked at it. With a little more work and a clearer thought process they could have made an absolute killer of an instrument. Waldorf really should have hired better engineers. They can't even get the simple, limited USB functionality right.

My guess is that if they decided to create a TI-esque software it would be more trouble for the user than it's worth. I can only begin to imagine the bugs...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:41 pm

thelike5 wrote:I went with the Virus Snow because I knew I would be using it inside of Ableton, via TI instead of running it standalone. 100% regret free purchase.

I loved the demos/sound of the Blofeld but without the plug in functionality I thought it was pretty much a Waldrof Micro Q, with a USB port (that doesn't really have a great use.) If Waldorf ever puts that USB port to good use by creating a TI-esque softeware compnent for the Blofeld I'll eat my words.

For my money, the Virus Snow wins out. Waldorf re-emerged and was very murky with the details. I remember seeing the mock-up of the Blofeld for nearly three years before the device ever was released. Surely, they had plenty of time to write a Ti-esque program to really develop a sure-fire hit with a hybrid Blofeld. Instead, the released (in my opinion) a half finished product that only sells for $400-$500 or so less than the much more flexible Snow.
I bought my Snow at the $1,250 price point when it was first announced. I was always a fan of Waldorf but as soon as I heard that the USB port was really only there for software updates I balked at it. With a little more work and a clearer thought process they could have made an absolute killer of an instrument. Waldorf really should have hired better engineers. They can't even get the simple, limited USB functionality right.

My guess is that if they decided to create a TI-esque software it would be more trouble for the user than it's worth. I can only begin to imagine the bugs...
Hah. Ive had the Virus Ti since it came, and havent used the Ti part yet. I tried EVERY fregin update. Its still not stable. Jumps around with timing and have various errors. So I use it the oldschool way.

In the end I started to make up excuses why the Ti was not so great: It sucks big time with that you can only have one vst instance, and have to send cc envelopes from the other Ti tracks to the master track. Its a mess to use, dont like it, it confuses me. I do a lot of automation... And regarding audio: Why didnt they just go Firewire w/8 stereo channels (or 16 mono) max instead of silly usb. (gives 3 stereo channels with 16/44) Then you could record all tracks at once! 16 mono channels seems to be the limit for firewire 24/96. I gladly pay more for that, who wouldnt?

Im not recording stinking 16/44 through its usb cable anyway! I prefer recording from the Ti audio outputs, which is at 24/96.

geek

Post by geek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:12 am

[quote="thelike5"]I went with the Virus Snow because I knew I would be using it inside of Ableton, via TI instead of running it standalone. 100% regret free purchase.

My guess is that if they decided to create a TI-esque software it would be more trouble for the user than it's worth. I can only begin to imagine the bugs...[/quote

Maybe you should read more and give opinions less because i think you have missed the point of the original post!!!!!!

BTW. Have YOU USED both of these synths??????

I have owned both recently and i can make any sound on this Waldorf that i could on my ti keyboard (the big one) and this Blofeld unit fits in my hand and costs £299.

IMHO Blowfeld sounds better (rawer). But who cares anyway??

And as for bugs, Access are renowned for them and it has taken years to make TI usable for everyone, and it still isn't completely stable (maybe never will be?)

I also prefer to use synths the old school midi way because it encourages me to get things finished instead of fucking around with software, but the point of this post isn't which you think is the best (lol) but weather my problem is a Waldorf fault or an Ableton. Thats it.

CHEERS. :D
Get Your Trainers On!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:05 pm

geek wrote:
thelike5 wrote:I went with the Virus Snow because I knew I would be using it inside of Ableton, via TI instead of running it standalone. 100% regret free purchase.

My guess is that if they decided to create a TI-esque software it would be more trouble for the user than it's worth. I can only begin to imagine the bugs...[/quote

Maybe you should read more and give opinions less because i think you have missed the point of the original post!!!!!!

BTW. Have YOU USED both of these synths??????

I have owned both recently and i can make any sound on this Waldorf that i could on my ti keyboard (the big one) and this Blofeld unit fits in my hand and costs £299.

IMHO Blowfeld sounds better (rawer). But who cares anyway??

And as for bugs, Access are renowned for them and it has taken years to make TI usable for everyone, and it still isn't completely stable (maybe never will be?)

I also prefer to use synths the old school midi way because it encourages me to get things finished instead of fucking around with software, but the point of this post isn't which you think is the best (lol) but weather my problem is a Waldorf fault or an Ableton. Thats it.

CHEERS. :D

Hehe, yeah!! :D

But let me just add that i fuckin love the Blofeld interface! Its everything I missed from the Ti. ;)

geek

Post by geek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:37 pm

+1

I wasnt expecting mine be sooo deeep.

What time is it?

SHIT ITS 3.00 AM,

AGAIN

Sometimes late at night, Blofeld makes me think im John Carpenter. :lol:
Get Your Trainers On!