why BUY Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:11 am

gjm wrote:I have spent just on $15K on software in the last 6 years. I trialed some of the software via cracks and discovered that the sales person from 1 company trying to convince me to part with $8K was not telling me the whole picture.........
What software were you looking to purchase for $8K?
Curious.

Marx

Post by Marx » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:13 am

I used a cracked version of Live 5 like 3 years ago and it crashed my iBook G4

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:19 am

You get your crack and you take your chances - most of this stuff is ridden with bugs, and sometimes spyware/viruses and at best is never 100% functional.

Go legit from the start and save yourself these problems. I've never used a crack of anything, but know people who did and most people never had a good working version of Live that didn't blow up after a while anyway. Ditto most other warez. Another friend had a copy of Cubase SX3 and noticed that some of the features, including track inserts wasn't working, but every time he tried to change samplerate, BOOM, a disaster leading to 2 HD reformats.

There is always a better way and you don't have to always be looking over your shoulder. Look at Waves. Sending out agents with cameras and threatening crack users with legal suits unless they pay 75000 dollars. I wouldn't want that to be me ....
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

lola

Post by lola » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:34 am

The Ableton company is the only one in my experience who listens, i have bought a lot of stuff in my live since 1988, beginning with steinbOrg..and they let me down so many times...
And i won't even start about emagic...damn...

I am really happy that i bought ableton since version 4.

Its just a company who are so innovative with development, + listens to their users, they just deserve to be supported!

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 am

e.maynard wrote:
gjm wrote:I have spent just on $15K on software in the last 6 years. I trialed some of the software via cracks and discovered that the sales person from 1 company trying to convince me to part with $8K was not telling me the whole picture.........
What software were you looking to purchase for $8K?
Curious.
CAD Drafting and Solid Modeling Software. I ended up with a great product by Ashlar Vellum called Xenon, which I paid $4500 in 2005, combined with MaxSurf, a 3D Marine Hydrostatic Hull design package for $4500. All legal and paid for. :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 am

Angstrom wrote:"why buy it?"

It's a similar question to "why recycle?" The earth is fucked and covered with nasty people and their rubbish, so why should I invest my time and effort sorting out my plastics?
Why recycle when my high street is not spotlessly clean?

Equally - why buy Live if it is not perfect?

Firstly, on a general point: because a purchase is a vote for that item as your preferred way of doing something. By voting on individual items you adjust the whole world to be slightly more as you would like it. Effectively acting with others as a large unmediated group we alter the concensus. Large amounts of purchases influence other producers to produce similar products and thereby a social or operational shift is made.

EG: I did not like the way that Cubase made me make music, and I preferred the way that Live made me make music. I liked it enough to buy it. I consider this my vote and I hope that my vote (in concert with others) influences other music software producers to adjust their software to address the expressed market need/demand.
The original post inspired me to go off on some kind of ill-advised diatribe, but then I read Angstrom's post and it summed my view up quite nicely without all the ranting I was prepared to do :)

so, +1

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:39 am

hereschenes wrote:How about... you don't use it, if you hate it so much?
If I don't use it then I don't pay money for it. If I don't pay money for it then it makes no difference for the developers wether I use a cracked version or no version at all, in both cases they don't get money. They may be pissed at me and sue me legally once they get to know about me using a crack though. But in the end it really doesn't help them much, they may get money if I have any at all, but they still wont get my support then. Dillemma, dilemma.
Ableton don't owe you anything.
Wrong! Once I pay money Ableton does owe me everything they promised to deliver! If they deliver less than that and don't fix it in reasonable time (less than a year for sure) then either I get a partly refund for having to work with less than was promised for the price or a full refund for stopping to work with it, which leads to them getting no money at all again. Paying for a software licence (you only own the right to use it) is like setting up a contract that binds both parties into responsibilities.

It is in Ableton's very interest to fix issues in order to keep generating income. But they also know that it doesn't make much of a difference to them if one or two customers stop using their software because of issues and lacking service. That's why they can afford to tell customers utter nonsense like "If you know how to code it better then go and start coding either for us or for a competing product". That's like telling a passenger to take over the pilot's position if he's unhappy with the onboard service. :?
Last edited by Crash on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 am

leedsquietman wrote:And I have also NEVER used cracked software and never will, so while I accept that kids who can't afford it and so on might try that route, there are alternatives.
I paid for my legitimate Windows Vista Ultimate, Live does not run properly on Vista. I am running Live on Windows XP, I do not own a legitimate version of Windows XP anymore.

Dillemma, dillema. Should I go and pay more (buy a copy of XP) for less functionality (Live's Vista incompatibility and XP's outdated feature-set)?

Do I feel immoral for not buying XP in order to make Live run or do I feel cheated by Ableton for not providing promised functionality after nearly a full year of waiting? Dillemma, dillema.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 am

Marx wrote:I used a cracked version of Live 5 like 3 years ago and it crashed my iBook G4
I use a legitimate version of Live 7 and crashed my PC well over a hundred times. It took until .12 until one of the crash reasons was fixed, another one is still not being fixed. Where is the difference between the crack and my legitimate version in relation to stability and service?

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 am

leedsquietman wrote:You get your crack and you take your chances - most of this stuff is ridden with bugs, and sometimes spyware/viruses and at best is never 100% functional.
Sorry (I agree to disagree ;)), but in my experience that's mostly myth in order to keep people from using cracks. Did I use cracks? Hell yes, lots and lots and lots, in order to "Try before you Buy". Most trial-periods are a joke for the complexity that is modern software, especially considering that you usually can only try it in your spare free time.

The old Live trial was different in that it allowed unlimited usage with only saving/exporting restricted. And guess what? Exactly that unlimited trial period kept me from using a crack for trial! Personally I prefer Reaper's model, a nag screen but ongoing full functionality that allows you to test it for as long as you need. I only use Reaper for comparison/checking Live issues. If I decided to work with it I'd pay. It's also nice to have a cheaper licence with full functionality for personal use instead of some castrated LE/Light version.

Did I suffer from crack induced bugs, spyware or viruses? Not at all! For the latter there are virus scanners and keeping cracks bug-free is usually made sure by a vital and very motivated scene of talented coders who make a sport for fame out of their "business". Using some simple internet search makes it easy to find out which cracks are working properly and which don't.
Go legit from the start and save yourself these problems.
You mean Live is not ridden with bugs on my legit copy? ;) :P
Another friend had a copy of Cubase SX3 and noticed that some of the features, including track inserts wasn't working, but every time he tried to change samplerate, BOOM, a disaster leading to 2 HD reformats.
Cubase is a very special case. It's protection-mechanism is so much embedded into every functionality of the program that one could start to consider it a copy-protection software with audio functionality rather than the other way around. Probably the one reason why crackers don't care to waste their own free time on cracking Cubase is that they noticed how Cubase is not "the one" DAW anymore and simply leave it to users to go for the equally well delivering competition.
There is always a better way and you don't have to always be looking over your shoulder. Look at Waves. Sending out agents with cameras and threatening crack users with legal suits unless they pay 75000 dollars. I wouldn't want that to be me ....
Yes, but I wouldn't want to be a Waves customer either knowing how they spent my money on sending out agents with cameras and threatening kids with legal suits. Fortunately there are good alternatives on the market and hopefully I wont ever need any piece of their otherwise good software.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:49 am

Maybe it should at least be cheaper.....

Hd

j2j

Post by j2j » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:06 am

heavensdaw wrote:Maybe it should at least be cheaper.....

Hd
Hardly...

Try using traktion, cubase, or pro-tools... They all have bugs.

If you want to talk about a program where the dev's should actually be paying you...

Try traktion.
too many lasers...

j2j

Post by j2j » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 am

Crash wrote: Sorry (I agree to disagree ;)), but in my experience that's mostly myth in order to keep people from using cracks.

No ways mate. Cracks don't work. It is not a myth. You've just been lucky. They are definitely filled with virus's, and instability. Either you are lying to yourself, or you honestly don't know.
too many lasers...

hereschenes

Post by hereschenes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:22 am

Crash wrote:
hereschenes wrote:How about... you don't use it, if you hate it so much?
If I don't use it then I don't pay money for it. If I don't pay money for it then it makes no difference for the developers wether I use a cracked version or no version at all, in both cases they don't get money.
That sort of argument is exactly what I meant when I mentioned "ethical gymnastics" in my previous post. With respect, you're just diverting around my actual point, which I stated twice: just because you can has nothing to do with whether you should.
Crash wrote:
Ableton don't owe you anything.
Wrong! Once I pay money Ableton does owe me everything they promised to deliver!
Right. And what they promise to deliver is a copy of Ableton Live, for your use only, under their commercial terms (assuming the terms they issue are legally enforcible where you were sold the product, I guess.)
Crash wrote: It is in Ableton's very interest to fix issues in order to keep generating income.
Absolutely it is. If they don't and Live goes to pieces, then they'll lose their customers eventually. This has nothing to do with whether or not you should steal their software.

I'm not saying Live is perfect, or that it has no bugs... quirks and crashes occasionally annoy me just as much as the next guy. I've had support emails to Ableton go resolved, and I've had them stay unresolved to this day. I'm just trying to point out the ethical fallacy in all of this talk; just because you aren't happy with a product doesn't mean you magically obtain a right to steal it. Do you really want to live in that world?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am

j2j wrote:
Crash wrote: Sorry (I agree to disagree ;)), but in my experience that's mostly myth in order to keep people from using cracks.
Either you are lying to yourself, or you honestly don't know.
A little dash of this, a little splash of that.

How can you argue with Timur's experience? Vista runs on his machine unlike anywhere else (Microsoft officially stopped advertising vista, for sound reasons).
His cracks are such pieces of art, one starts to wonder why the crackers aren't fixing his bugs. Theyz gotz tha skillzz!

And the bugs that aren't fixed that he reported less than a year ago are way more important than the ones I've reported that haven't been fixed for over 4 years.