Record real time automation in to session view clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pandamonium

Record real time automation in to session view clips?

Post by Pandamonium » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Is this possible? I am sure I used to be able to do it with my old Novation Remote SL, but now I can only record live controller info into the arrange view. I need to be able to record a bunch of live performances with controller tweaks directly into clips, what am I missing here?
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Have to record in arrange, bounce to audio then drag that audio to session view clip.

You can use your clip envelopes too.

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Yep, that's what I thought, a major oversight on abes part I think. Why not have an option to record LIVE automation into Live session view? having to draw it in takes the LIVE out of Live! I use ableton for the session view exclusively, if I want arrange view I go to logic, I really need to be able to record lots of "mini performances" utilizing real time hands on controllers in to session view.

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:42 am

If you could record live automation in arrange view and then drag it to a session clip, that would at least be a workaround, but when you do that, for some inexplicable reason, you lose the automation! Come on Ableton, sort this out! I want to record LIVE loops complete with automation in session view GIMME

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 pm

No one else would find this functionality useful?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 pm

everyone would find it useful.
the reason you haven't got many answers is simply because it is nearly the number one topic of conversation around here. Number on on many wish-lists.
It's been discussed ad-nauseum and there have been a few responses from the Ableton's. Nothing concrete though.

the most recent would be Robert's comments in his own thread titled something like "why are there no MIDI LFOs in Live"

bulo

Post by bulo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Actually you can easily do that... but only with third-party plug-ins.
Just don't use midi learn on them but true midi implementation
:wink:
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:45 pm

bulo wrote:Actually you can easily do that... but only with third-party plug-ins.
:wink:

What do you mean by "true midi implementation" vs. midi learn?

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Pandamonium wrote:Yep, that's what I thought, a major oversight on abes part I think. Why not have an option to record LIVE automation into Live session view? having to draw it in takes the LIVE out of Live! I use ableton for the session view exclusively, if I want arrange view I go to logic, I really need to be able to record lots of "mini performances" utilizing real time hands on controllers in to session view.
Not an oversight, the Abes have stated it's a limitation in the way the program was designed that goes right back to the original code of version 1. Apparently they are looking into solutions, but it would be a major rewrite that could potentially cause all sorts of other problems. I somehow doubt we’ll see a solution to this for the next version, but you never know.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm

you can work around it with dummy clips

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 pm

I even tried to rally forum members to vote for this in the user survey we had last spring:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... automation

Wow, I see you are in Cairns.. Nice place I was out there in April diving on the reef.
amazing!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:23 am

doc holiday wrote:you can work around it with dummy clips
And you can copy-paste envelopes from arrange clips into session clips.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:10 am

Ableton even agrees, they just won't do it.

:cry:

Where as I would say at least just let us record automation of midi learned Live devices, they seem to think that there has to be a complete re-write and re-think of the product, and have as much as said that Live 8 won't have it. (YET again)

Probably in the top 3 requests for 4-5 years now..

:roll:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

bulo

Post by bulo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:48 pm

bulo wrote:
Actually you can easily do that... but only with third-party plug-ins.
Wink

What do you mean by "true midi implementation" vs. midi learn?
I mean you have to program your controller to fit the desired element you want to control on a plug-in.
For example if you want to control the LFO speed on a synth, have a look at its midi implementation in the user guide or manual. If it's, for example, "midi CC 34", you have to assign this midi CC to the desired knob on your controller.
So, you can make patch on your controller for your favorite plug-ins. When you load them just select the appropriate patch launch a clip and tweak it baby!
Lots of plug-ins have their own "midi learn" whose also work fine.
The trick is just to forget Live's midi learn for the plug-in control.

Hope you understand my "somewhat english".
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Angstrom wrote:everyone would find it useful.
the reason you haven't got many answers is simply because it is nearly the number one topic of conversation around here. Number on on many wish-lists.
It's been discussed ad-nauseum and there have been a few responses from the Ableton's. Nothing concrete though.

the most recent would be Robert's comments in his own thread titled something like "why are there no MIDI LFOs in Live"
Thanks for the replies guys, I have been coming here a long time, just don't get time to come here frequently so apologies if I missed the discussions about this and my quick search did not yield results.