OS deadlock - what's everyone doing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm finding Vista to be totally fine on my new Dell XPS 1530. I turned off Aero glass and overall it doesn't feel much different than XP to me.

I certainly don't see any reason to pay twice as much for a comparable Mac.

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:40 pm

Got an Acer Dual core T5500, 2 Gig RAM that came with Vista.

Had it configured with a dual boot up: A small partition (40% of total) for Vista for normal computing such as pron and the live forum.

The other with Tiny XP (May need to search for it as it seems to be buried these days, still can be found on a site that rhymes with gyrate-hay, allegedly).

Install in 7 mins with only 6 process running.

No internet, no warnings, up-dates...all stripped down to the max as soon as it loads up.

Been using this for 18 mths and the music partition on the lappy still running like hot shit.

Never done any bench tests as just eats up vst tracks and keeps rockin'.

May stack up a few Zebra synths later and try and 'break' it when I’m home from work later....

Also, as I own Vista I'm not loosing any sleep using it.

gomi

Re: OS deadlock - what's everyone doing?

Post by gomi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Macrostructure wrote: Alternative is I wait for Windows 7, but the wait for drivers could be 18 months to 2 years from now. That is too long.

fyi windows 7 is vista with a gui makeover, there are no huge changes to anything.

basically vista service pack, dropping the name vista because of the massive
fiasco they've had with it.

look up whole long it takes m$ to write a "new" OS.. there is no way
that 7 is new. They are just faking you out. Like Mojave!

oh and live runs super great on the new macbooks. (the 1067 FSB makes all the diff)

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 pm

i just got a new HP 8530w - cheaper than a dell, tough, well specced and comes with a vista licence, but with xp pro preinstalled. might be worth a look for you?
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone.

It's how a forum should be :D

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 pm

I decided for a Macbok Pro, but I was seriously tempted by HP Elitebooks (not any much cheaper though).
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Macrostructure wrote: For a start there is no native equal to Wavelab for Macs - correct?
Waveburner, Soundtrack pro, those adobe audio apps, peak, soundsoap,..

Saying there is no equal to wavelab is a bit strong. Sure these apps are all different, some may even be better or worse. Its al subjective anyway.
I's love to add Wave Editor to that list. it rocks.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:48 am

hackintosh.

You have to know computers well enough to format and install the operating system, but after that its a breeze.

http://www.osx86project.org/
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:27 am

Macrostructure wrote:Here's my situation:

I have a PC laptop that is getting quite slow now. It's running XP. I'm totally Microsoft all the way in my computing. If I upgrade my laptop now I'll either be putting XP on a spanking new machine, invalidating the warranty, or braving the Vista situation. I use Vista at work and strongly dislike the workflow.
Alternative is I wait for Windows 7, but the wait for drivers could be 18 months to 2 years from now. That is too long.
Or I buy a Mac for 70% more money and go through the process of changing over.
I'm a Mac convert.

From what I've read Vista isn't anywhere near as bad for audio now as most people make out and its getting better all the time. I'd do some Googling for Vista and your audio hardware / software and see how others are getting on.

Waiting for the next version of Windows would just be stupid. There is no release date yet and there probably won't be for a while - Microsoft always hype things up well in advance and have a poor record of hitting release dates. Once it is released you'll probably need to give it another 12 months before it is stable for audio.

I doubt a Mac would cost 70% more. Even if it did, the Mac OS and included software is far superior to Windows, you don't have to worry about security anywhere near as much and it makes you look cool.

As an example, the email / contacts / calendar functionality on a Mac is worth its weight in gold - I'd easily of paid £100 for it when I was running Windows. It works perfectly, everything stays in sync (including with my iPhone, iPod, MobileMe) and every application (including 3rd party) interfaces with them.

I'm not saying you should go for a Mac, but don't be put off by the headline price as there is a lot more to it than that.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 am

I went with a Macbook Pro running OSX and WinXP as a dual-boot system. It's the best Windows system I've ever had, and it unlocks the Apple world too.

For a traditional WinXP notebook, I agree with the Dell business recommendations.

gravejester

Post by gravejester » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 am

gomi wrote:
Macrostructure wrote: Alternative is I wait for Windows 7, but the wait for drivers could be 18 months to 2 years from now. That is too long.

fyi windows 7 is vista with a gui makeover, there are no huge changes to anything.

basically vista service pack, dropping the name vista because of the massive
fiasco they've had with it.

look up whole long it takes m$ to write a "new" OS.. there is no way
that 7 is new. They are just faking you out. Like Mojave!

oh and live runs super great on the new macbooks. (the 1067 FSB makes all the diff)
Windows 7 uses the same code base as Vista, and Microsoft has stated that everything that works on Vista will work on Windows 7.

As I see it, it will probably be how Vista was supposed to be.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 am

Macrostructure wrote: Or I buy a Mac for 70% more money and go through the process of changing over. I am dreading this. For a start there is no native equal to Wavelab for Macs - correct?
I did it and I have never regretted the decision. I bet you wont either.

Peak and Amadeus are two very good audio editors.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x