import stereo mp3 as 2 seperate mono tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
g000fy

Post by g000fy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:40 am

monobeach wrote:just put your instrumental on one track in Live (that is stereo) - panning should be ok

record your vocals on a second track, choose the mic input as the audio input and record your vocals - leave it panned in the middle

if you want to change volume of either track during the song, you have to do it manually: in arrangement view draw or record volume automation
yes i know that part (not to sound ungrateful for you trying to help)

say i have the stereo mp3 on a single track already.
say i have also resorcded the MONO vocal on 2nd track.
what im talking about is how do i add the vocal to (both area of the mp3 track) i guess its 2 tracks on 1 bus (right)?

well say i want to add a more pan to the left channel of the mp3 stereo in the first 1minute of the song....then say i want to add more pan to the Right channel for the 2nd minute of the song and say for the 3rd minute i want the mono vocal track mixed evenly across both channels of the mp3 stereo tracks?

see on my ableton live arrangement view screen i have imported the stereo mp3 track (which is 2 combined tracks on one bus)
then say i import my already recorded mono vocal track on its own bus and then i want to do what i mentioned above.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:59 am

"what im talking about is how do i add the vocal to (both area of the mp3 track) i guess its 2 tracks on 1 bus (right)?"

when you say 'add the vocal' do you mean that you want the add a recording of the vocal audio to the stereo mp3 backing track?

if youve got a vocal track and you just want to end up with the vocal track mixed into the backing tracks, then get your levels right with the vocals throughout the song, then render it to disk, which will save the master output as a stereo file.

you dont need to worry about adding the vocal to the mp3 backing track, until the final mixdown of the song.

sorry if im completely wrong about your question, im not %100 sure what youre asking.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:55 am

adventurepants_ wrote:"what im talking about is how do i add the vocal to (both area of the mp3 track) i guess its 2 tracks on 1 bus (right)?"

when you say 'add the vocal' do you mean that you want the add a recording of the vocal audio to the stereo mp3 backing track?

if youve got a vocal track and you just want to end up with the vocal track mixed into the backing tracks, then get your levels right with the vocals throughout the song, then render it to disk, which will save the master output as a stereo file.

you dont need to worry about adding the vocal to the mp3 backing track, until the final mixdown of the song.

sorry if im completely wrong about your question, im not %100 sure what youre asking.
i do not see a "render to disk" first of all.

second of all in my example above we were saying that the levels were already right i was wanting to know how to pan left and right my vocal track into the stereo mp3 track (2 tracks on one bus)

i want to be able to pan left and right throughout the mp3 so i can hear the vocal alternate between the left channel and right channel.

before i was thinking this had to be done by splitting the mp3 into to mono tracks then i would make a dup;icate vocal track.

example:
1 mono vocal track for the left channel
1 mono vocal track for the right channel

but someone said that there is an easier way to do it without splitting the track.

what is the best way to add a single vocal track to a stereo mp3 (backing track) so i can PAN left channel and right channel (throughout the song) for an alternating vocal in left and right speaker?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 am

g000fy wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:"what im talking about is how do i add the vocal to (both area of the mp3 track) i guess its 2 tracks on 1 bus (right)?"

i do not see a "render to disk" first of all.

second of all in my example above we were saying that the levels were already right i was wanting to know how to pan left and right my vocal track into the stereo mp3 track (2 tracks on one bus)

i want to be able to pan left and right throughout the mp3 so i can hear the vocal alternate between the left channel and right channel.

before i was thinking this had to be done by splitting the mp3 into to mono tracks then i would make a dup;icate vocal track.

example:
1 mono vocal track for the left channel
1 mono vocal track for the right channel

but someone said that there is an easier way to do it without splitting the track.

what is the best way to add a single vocal track to a stereo mp3 (backing track) so i can PAN left channel and right channel (throughout the song) for an alternating vocal in left and right speaker?
Ok, track one = mp3 backing track
track two = vocal track.

press record and run the Live sequencer then while its running, grab the PAN knob for your vocal track and pan it as you like. Those Pan movements will be recorded as automation, so when you play the track back next time the movements will be played back as well. once youve mixed down the vocal and backing track by rendering to a single stereo pair, youll be unable to change the panning of the vocal track.

Look up "Render to disk" in the manual. In fact, if youve not done all the built in lessons in Live, then do so asap, they get you up to speed very quickly with all the basic concepts.

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 am

wow that is something i havent messed with in live tet (the sequencer....really didnt even know it had one.

i have done a couple of the live tuts (which are great) but idint make it to...or hadnt seen one on (merging/blending tracks) i guess that its called mixing....

thanks man will go look for the appropiate tut in live right now.

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:57 am

i dont see any guide/tut on mixing in ableton.

im not sure even what sequencers name is.

is there a video tut somewhere someone can point me to just on how to do a simple mix of a mono vocal track into a stereo strack that is on one bus?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 am

g000fy wrote:i dont see any guide/tut on mixing in ableton.

im not sure even what sequencers name is.

is there a video tut somewhere someone can point me to just on how to do a simple mix of a mono vocal track into a stereo strack that is on one bus?
Live IS a sequencer.

There is no particular tute on mixing, Im suggesting you do all the tutes so you have more idea of what youre doing, and get acquainted with the concepts of multitrack audio.

Look at rendering to disk in the manual, that is the process of taking the multi channel audio that you see in Live, and outputting it to a single stereo track. If you render to disk with both the backing track and the vocal track active, you will end up with a stereo file that will contain the two tracks mixed together. You can then bring that track back into Live for further work if you like.

Alternatively you can record the output of the backing track and the vocal track to a third track. There is a tute I think on resampling and routing, which will help you with this.

I guess the point with the tutorials is that even though they dont seem relevant to what youre tyring to do at the moment, they will increase your knowledge of the way it works in general, and youll get to a point where those separate bits of knowledge will gel. Keep at it!

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:06 am

g000fy wrote:you make it sound so tedious to split a stereo track into mono.

from all the threads i read on these forums alot of people dont think it is that hard also.

i can take some screen shots of some other apps and show you how easy it is to split a stereo track to two seperate mono tracks if you want.

it really is simple.
the way it has to be done now....at least for me....i just open another DAW and split the track and then save both seperate tracks and even doing that process i can do it 10x quicker then the alternatives in ableton.

that is a fact.
show some respect man. your posts in this thread make you appear very arrogant. your opinions count but they are only opinions. of all people, Robert knows what he is talking about. it is his fucking program man.
Last edited by Macrostructure on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

monobeach

Post by monobeach » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 am

yes, look up "audio production" and "mixing" in the internet

watch all videos on the ableton side

do all tutorials in Live

then you can understand the concept of producing audio with multitrack recorders (which works the same for tape or DAWs)

Stace

Post by Stace » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Macrostructure wrote:
g000fy wrote:you make it sound so tedious to split a stereo track into mono.

from all the threads i read on these forums alot of people dont think it is that hard also.

i can take some screen shots of some other apps and show you how easy it is to split a stereo track to two seperate mono tracks if you want.

it really is simple.
the way it has to be done now....at least for me....i just open another DAW and split the track and then save both seperate tracks and even doing that process i can do it 10x quicker then the alternatives in ableton.

that is a fact.
show some respect man. your posts in this thread make you appear very arrogant. your opinions count but they are only opinions. of all people, Robert knows what he is talking about, it is their program.
+1

I'm pretty dumb struck by you Goofy! Can't believe your telling Robert Henke about how things work when, by your last posts, you clearly have no idea what Lives all about or how it works. I'm sure you're a very nice person and knowledgeable in certain areas, but, Live not being one of them

:D
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

g000fy

Post by g000fy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 pm

to: Macrostructure and Stace.

LAY OFF

i call it how i see it!

the other DAW`a does this alot easier and if you think im the only one who has brought this up use the little SEARCH BUTTON and check out the results!

Robert i didnt even know who the hell he was/is so LAY OFF!

you should be able to tell (if you read the WHOLE thread) that people have been kind enough to point me in the right direction on how to get what i want done.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm

how rude!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi g000fy,

from how I understood your goal, you don't even need to split a stereo file into two mono files, and what you want to achieve can be easily done in Live. However, if you want to split audio files (and do a whole world of other exciting things) and you are on a Mac, get Soundhack: http://www.soundhack.com/

You can use it as an audio editor from within Live - with a single click on a button labeled 'Edit' in the clip view in Live! This operation will launch Soundhack, load the clip into Soundhack, and all you have to do is call its "Split into Mono Files" command, and tell the application of where to store the files. This is exactly what you asked for. And, as I said, Soundhack offers much more including a pretty cool sounding timestrech, non real time convolution, normalisation etc...

If you are on a PC, i am sure there are similar (shareware/freeware) tools available.

But, after trying to understand what you want to achieve, I still think you do not even need to split the files.

Cheers, Robert

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Chill on Gooofy, folks, he's just getting used to the idea that Live is not exactly like other DAWs on the planet.

Robert doesn't look hurt, and Gooofy learned something (as did I).

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Hi g000fy,

from how I understood your goal, you don't even need to split a stereo file into two mono files, and what you want to achieve can be easily done in Live. However, if you want to split audio files (and do a whole world of other exciting things) and you are on a Mac, get Soundhack: http://www.soundhack.com/

You can use it as an audio editor from within Live - with a single click on a button labeled 'Edit' in the clip view in Live! This operation will launch Soundhack, load the clip into Soundhack, and all you have to do is call its "Split into Mono Files" command, and tell the application of where to store the files. This is exactly what you asked for. And, as I said, Soundhack offers much more including a pretty cool sounding timestrech, non real time convolution, normalisation etc...

If you are on a PC, i am sure there are similar (shareware/freeware) tools available.

But, after trying to understand what you want to achieve, I still think you do not even need to split the files.

Cheers, Robert
On PC you can use the open source Audacity audio editor.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)