Stupid question-Freeing Up HD Space

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leninboarrir

Stupid question-Freeing Up HD Space

Post by leninboarrir » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 pm

So, now that I got my copy of Live Suite 7 working (thanks to everyone who tried to help, by the way), I got to installing all of the packs. I know Live Suite is a huge program, but I guess I underestimated how much space it would take.

Here's what I'm asking: After I've installed the Live packages, can I delete the white package folders to free up space? Or, do those packages contain the files themselves? The reason I'm confused is that I saw my HD space shrinking as I installed the packs, which leads me to believe that their contents are installed somewhere else on my computer. I realized this is a pretty dumb question, but I don't have the money to spend on an extra HD right now, and I felt like it was necessary to install Live on my computer itself because I don't always have my external with me.

These files (in the right window) are what I'm referring to. Can someone shed some light? Thanks.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:05 pm

If any of those alp's make you go through an installation process when you double click them, you can toss them once you've installed (but I would burn them to a backup disc before tossing them). If you double click and a folder opens up with miscellaneous files in it, don't delete it - this is a pretty standard method of figuring out what you can toss.

You can also check your preferences in live (bottom tab on the left in prefs) to see what is installed.

leninboarrir

Post by leninboarrir » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Thank you, this helps a lot. One quick question though-Why would I need to back them up if I have the original EIC/Session discs?

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 pm

You don't - I back up everything I have that isn't on a disc, but I don't use any of the EIC stuff, so I am clueless as to the live suite details.