OT: "New" Alesis Monitor Ones. Yes or No?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silverfish

OT: "New" Alesis Monitor Ones. Yes or No?

Post by Silverfish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:24 am

The opportunity to purchase a pair of older, but unused Alesis Monitor Ones has presented itself. They're passive, so I'd have to get an amp, but the price of $150 is right. Thoughts on the monitors? the price? Their age?

Thanks

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 am

How are studio monitors, "off topic," in a music forum?

Anyways, 150 for passive Alises monitors? I'd have to see and hear em. In this economy though, if they work and sound good to you, then I don't see why not.
too many lasers...

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am

Those are great cheap monitos. Its ok that you have to get an amp. I would only give $100 though. They are great monitors though! prob the best you get possibly get for under 150, maybe even 250

Chang

Re: OT: "New" Alesis Monitor Ones. Yes or No?

Post by Chang » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:58 am

Silverfish wrote:The opportunity to purchase a pair of older, but unused Alesis Monitor Ones has presented itself. They're passive, so I'd have to get an amp, but the price of $150 is right. Thoughts on the monitors? the price? Their age?

Thanks
Not only amp, but also going to need an eq in between monitors and source on passives. Yet another expense.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:06 am

I vote no. Invest in some better, active monitors.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I'd never really considered passive monitors before, so I was curious what others thought.

lolz. As far as being off topic, I guess I thought it was off topic because it wasn't related to Ableton Live directly. I was sort of in a hurry.... :lol:

Landser

Post by Landser » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 am

The differences between active and passive monitors are - compared to the other influences from room acoustics to EQing and mixing skills - so small, that it is in most cases wasted money.

Forget about the hype about active monitors.
Get passive ones and a decent amp and buy a handful m² of acoustic foam and you will hear ten times more, than anyone, with active monitors, but without treatment. I'm always amused about homestudios, where hundreds of € are invested in active monitors, that are placed in front of flat and reflective walls, in rooms without any acoustic treatment. :lol:
People usually have absolutely no clue about the physical dimensions of the involved influences.

Regarding Alesis M1: IMO quite decent speakers. Have them myself for several years and absolutely no need for something more expensive. With some room treatment and a sub, these are adequate tools to get a perfect translating and professional sounding mix.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:31 am

+1 for landsers advice.
and can you get another forum nickname mr. landser, i find it disgusting.