Follow Action nuts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Follow Action nuts

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 am

Good morning!

I got a little nut to crack regarding follow actions. In a scenario with two clips: id like the first clip to play in loop as long I hold the note, and jump to the second clip when I release it. Should be simple, but I cant get it to work. The gate clip is on top of the 2nd clip.

Launch Mode:
-gate
Legato
Quantization:
None
Follow Action:
0:0:1
Next

It just jumps straight to the next clip, even when im holding the first still!
What am I doing wrong?

edited some typos ;)
Last edited by ze2be on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

you can't do that with follow actions.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 am

Follow actions come into effect at the time setting you specified - no matter if it's a 2, 4 or 8 bar loop. If you have play mode to "gate" instead of "toggle" or "trigger" doen't matter.

.m

piZMo

Re: Follow Action nuts

Post by piZMo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 pm

ze2be wrote: Launce Mode:
there's your problem right there you're using launce mode :wink:

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Re: Follow Action nuts

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:30 pm

piZMo wrote:
ze2be wrote: Launce Mode:
there's your problem right there you're using launce mode :wink:
Yeah, yeah. Make fun of the Scandinavian guy making a typing error in his second language. Common Paddy, you write something in Norwegian. I dare ya! :wink: :twisted:

.m

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:34 pm

jeg tror ikke du får gjort dette med follow action...

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 pm

ikke jeg heller

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Hehe!

@ the scandos: Seriøst? Dæven, jeg var sikker på at det gikk!!

@ topic: Well, if it cant be done im a little bit suprised!* But is there a workaround for this?

piZMo: I try to correct the typos that are marked red by firefox/or is it the forum? But sometimes the words can mix up, or I simply dont have time to find them. TriTrans.net is my friend! Sometimes if writing a lot I use gmail to correct. Its good for english, but sucks in norwegian! Anyway, I use a lot of time correcting my posts because I have slightly dyslectic abilities, and short attention span at skool. school?...scool..! 8)

*cant find the word @TriTrans, neighter norwegian or english.

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Something else that would be useful: follow actions not tied to beats and bars. Sometimes I've had ideas that are purely based around the length of a clip.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Badger123 wrote:Something else that would be useful: follow actions not tied to beats and bars. Sometimes I've had ideas that are purely based around the length of a clip.
(this is gonna sound harsh...)
you had ideas that are purely based around the length of a clip but were too lazy to read the clip length and type it into the follow action length?

or do I misunderstand?

I REALLY wish they'd make follow action settings midi assignable. why the hell they skipped that part is beyond me, someone's sick joke.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Badger123 wrote:Something else that would be useful: follow actions not tied to beats and bars. Sometimes I've had ideas that are purely based around the length of a clip.
Well, these clips I use to make rolls and breaks for drum kits. And they are grid-less semi of beat to make the feel more real/less machine. I was hoping to be able to hold a short roll loop as long as I wish, while tweaking the velocity plug for expression, and when release it would drop to a loop with crash type intro.

I cant belive it want work! It seems so obvious.

Im gonna do some research on this topic. I really want to do expressive rolls..

it HAS to be some way to do this...im on it.. :arrow:

edit: f@ck it, ill let it roll in a loop and use both hands free while it does so for other tasks and just break it in when it fits. Then I can do more with it anyway. ;)

Plus I can break in a pallet of loops instead of tying it up to one. Free the jam babe!

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 pm

you had ideas that are purely based around the length of a clip but were too lazy to read the clip length and type it into the follow action length?
Yep. Bar/beats/sixteenths don't accurately convert to seconds/ms unless the arrangement is built to the tempo grid. I'm not using warp functions or trying to tie the audio to the grid in any way, just using live as a way of triggering multi track audio clips on the fly not necessarily to a tempo map. I realize most people build beats inside the box and that's what it was designed for but not at the exclusion of other possibilities.

Using multi tracks of clips that have been recorded with ambient mics kind of limits the warp functions but that's a different thread...

Any suggestions welcome thanks (apart from a gnomes ass, ta)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:04 am

ahhh gotcha, that makes sense, I hadn't though of that. I almost always have LOOP on.

maybe if you jack the Original BPM (in clip view) to some insanely high number those 16th notes would work better for you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 am

Tone Deft wrote:ahhh gotcha, that makes sense, I hadn't though of that. I almost always have LOOP on.

maybe if you jack the Original BPM (in clip view) to some insanely high number those 16th notes would work better for you.
good idea actually.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am

ze2be wrote: But is there a workaround for this?
if you're wanting it to respond to note off then you could try and rig something up with maybe the note length and/or velocity plug ins and MIDI loopback

- maybe set the note off velocity in the note length plug-in then set the velocity plug-in to only react to that velocity...or something....