Finally, a documentary about Techno that gets it right

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
liveISlife
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Katy Perry's Cleavage, New York
Contact:

Post by liveISlife » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for the links JJarvis and Tone Def. Yeah dam, the first track in that preview is nasty. Anyone know the name of that track?

[nis]
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Ableton Headquarters
Contact:

Post by [nis] » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:55 pm

hmmm...techno? I always thought this was something else.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

rajcoont
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:14 pm

Post by rajcoont » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 pm

that 1st track is a wighnomy brothers song from maybe 2006 or so? great stuff

TamGig
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:01 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Post by TamGig » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm

It's Pele Bloss from the Wighnomy Brothers. 2005 if I recall my search on iTunes.

Edit : Damn, too slow.
MacBook Pro 2,6 gHz, PreSonus Firepod, Live 7 Studio, Korg Triton LE, Omnisphere, Guitar Rig 3, padKontrol, UC-33, VSTs and stuff

JJarvis
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by JJarvis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 pm

I guess you can call it 'minimal' 'microhouse' 'idm' or whatever. I'm from Detroit so I know how sensitive techno fanboys are about using 'techno'. I guess I would just put the music of monolake, akufen, wolfgang voigt, and so forth under the general term of 'techno'. I think 'techno' is even mentioned in the trailer. Anyways good music to say the least. :D
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

[nis]
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Ableton Headquarters
Contact:

Post by [nis] » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:24 am

Sorry, didn't meant to nitpick.

But while we're at it, here's a quite nice documentary from Arte (French/German TV).
Some footage from Tresor Berlin, various Detroit guys, Tangerine Dream, Mark Bell (LFO), Autechre etc.
Just ignore the Sven Väth talks at the first minutes of pt.1 :)

part1
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz1b8_ ... rtie_music

part2
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4271s ... 2-12_music

part3
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42oc9 ... 2-22_music


And then there's this one:
http://itechno.tv/videos/modulations-ci ... r-the-ear/

And some more documentaries about the early Berlin scene:

A video from the early years at Tresor - must be approx. 1993 / 1994 (in German only):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1030443993

Techno City (1993):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMVNLQ35r4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWncRmvpd0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Ok0DAD3os

We call it Techno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviTOGsbXXk

And this one sums it all up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lpy6UROF4
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

liveISlife
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Katy Perry's Cleavage, New York
Contact:

Post by liveISlife » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:40 am

rajcoont wrote:that 1st track is a wighnomy brothers song from maybe 2006 or so? great stuff
TamGig wrote:It's Pele Bloss from the Wighnomy Brothers. 2005 if I recall my search on iTunes.

Edit : Damn, too slow.
Thanks :D 8) thats that fire shit right thur

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Post by smutek » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:41 am

I thought High Tech Soul pretty much got it right on, at least if we're talking techno.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2584716914


ps. another +1 for pump up the volume, great documentary - high tech soul is to techno what pump up the volume was to house, in my humble opinion. both are well worth the watch if you haven't seen them.

and thanks for the links [nis] - will definitely check them out

[nis]
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Ableton Headquarters
Contact:

Post by [nis] » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:13 pm

smutek wrote:I thought High Tech Soul pretty much got it right on, at least if we're talking techno.
Yup, I thought so, too. Perhaps the only one so far which managed to tell a story. Very entertaining.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

chunc
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:40 pm
Contact:

Post by chunc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Yea this is hardly the history of techno.

Sounds like German DJs and producers that took the flame from detroit and early UK and are taking their passion, but not acknowledging the history and the roots.

Looks like a quality movie, but it is extremely biased.
i <3 techno.

morerecords
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Post by morerecords » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Looks like a heartwarmiong film about artists.
I don't know about "all the right people" I don 't see a single black person :(

Pump up the volume was not "the truth" it was british sensationalism that tried to point a racist finger where there was none and unfortunaly probably re-wrote history to a big degree...

But all the right peopl, with no black folks... hmmm...

Superchibisan
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:25 pm

Post by Superchibisan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:55 pm

chunc wrote:Yea this is hardly the history of techno.

Sounds like German DJs and producers that took the flame from detroit and early UK and are taking their passion, but not acknowledging the history and the roots.

Looks like a quality movie, but it is extremely biased.
biased towards what?

JJarvis
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by JJarvis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:31 pm

smutek wrote:I thought High Tech Soul pretty much got it right on, at least if we're talking techno.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2584716914


ps. another +1 for pump up the volume, great documentary - high tech soul is to techno what pump up the volume was to house, in my humble opinion. both are well worth the watch if you haven't seen them.

and thanks for the links [nis] - will definitely check them out
I thought that the interviews and stories were indeed quality. However, it featured very little in actual music. Disappointing because without a previous intro to Detroit Techno, there was very little to go on besides the interviews. A good music documentary should feature full cuts of key tracks. This just wasn't done in High Tech Soul.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

JJarvis
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by JJarvis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:32 pm

[nis] wrote:Sorry, didn't meant to nitpick.

But while we're at it, here's a quite nice documentary from Arte (French/German TV).
Some footage from Tresor Berlin, various Detroit guys, Tangerine Dream, Mark Bell (LFO), Autechre etc.
Just ignore the Sven Väth talks at the first minutes of pt.1 :)

part1
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz1b8_ ... rtie_music

part2
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4271s ... 2-12_music

part3
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x42oc9 ... 2-22_music


And then there's this one:
http://itechno.tv/videos/modulations-ci ... r-the-ear/

And some more documentaries about the early Berlin scene:

A video from the early years at Tresor - must be approx. 1993 / 1994 (in German only):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1030443993

Techno City (1993):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMVNLQ35r4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWncRmvpd0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Ok0DAD3os

We call it Techno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviTOGsbXXk

And this one sums it all up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lpy6UROF4
Thanks. I'm going to have to check these out later. :D
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

lola
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Post by lola » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:32 pm

Think its more a marketing thingie

Post Reply